XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2012 xkrs vs 2012 gtr

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 xkrs vs 2012 gtr

Hey Guys
I am about to pull the trigger on one of them.
Let me know, what you think.
Thanks

Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I see more GTRs around here than XKRs, not to mention XKR-Ss. Would you rather attract the ladies or the teenagers at the movie theater?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I looked at both really hard and went back and forth a few times. In the end the Jaguar won me over. It might not have been completely fair though, since I really wanted a convertible too. However, while the GTR is about the best bang for the buck you can buy, the exclusivity, luxury, sound, ride quality, and looks of the Jag are undeniable.

You have to decide what kind of car you want. Ultra performance, better track ability, hardcore and rougher riding...Or a high performance GT with better fit and finish and a more forgiving and comfortable ride. Both are really fast with the GTR being the faster of the two, but I don't think for a second you will be disappointed with the power of the XKR-S. Its more than enough for the streets, especially once it's moving.

Honestly if I was only looking at a coupe...Hmmm. I'm not sure what I would have done.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

IMO - if you spend $100K+ for a car it should look it. The GTR is an incredible machine but, the problem is that excepting those few car enthusiasts, most people will not see it as something special.

Nissan should more aggressively visually separate the GTR from the looks of their regular, far less expensive and less performing models.

The XKR-s looks very special to just about anyone. Not sure the same is true for the GTR. If you like "sleepers" the GTR will fill that role impressively. If you enjoy walking out into your garage at every opportunity to look at sensuous, yet ultra-aggressive sheet metal lines, that would be the XKR-s!

Albert

Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Been through the same decision process myself recently. My XK8 was due for upgrade, and I began to wonder: did I want to move on to the obvious replacement, a 5.0 XK or XKR, or should I consider the true supercar performance of a GT-R?
I test-drove several GT-Rs – the performance was phenomenal, but in normal city driving the ride was hard (even in ‘comfort’ mode). The cars had a clunky, mechanical feel compared to the XKRs I drove, and the run-flat tyres tramlined horribly. That and the ride can be improved by switching to normal tyres (Michelin PSS seem to be favourite with the GT-R crowd), but that was more £££ on top. So, a great track car, but not so pleasant for normal driving, particularly on London's speed-hump-infested streets. And they didn't have the same quality feel as the Jags.
Since my budget would not stretch to an R-S, I was looking for an XKR with the Dynamic Pack when I stumbled upon the XKR 75, which fitted the bill perfectly for me. If you can afford the R-S and are looking for something a bit 'tauter' than the standard XKR, more towards the GT-R feel but still useable every day, then I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

I purchased a 2013 XKR 2 days ago with dynamic pack and performance exhaust. I recently sold my 2011 XKR 175 and missed it. I considered replacing it with a Maserati Gran Turismo S or MC, Porsche 911 Turbo S, Audi R8 V10, F-type, Lambo Gallardo, used 2009 Ferrari F1 430 or a GT-R. I looked seriously at the GT-R only for its performance qualities and Nissan reliability. I wanted something that would make be feel special and the GT-R, although a phenomenal performance car didn't put as big a smile on my face as the XKR. The Maserati lacked performance, the Porsche felt cheap, the R8 did nothing for me and lacked space like the Ferrari, lambo and F-type. I was looking for a GT with more performance without giving up style and comfort. Another XKR was the only choice and I can't wait for it to arrive. The XKR is just a beautiful ride, a far better looking and stylish car than the GT-R, much more comfortable and as a street car offers tons of fun. The GT-R will excel on the track. I'm not a track guy. How often would you use the GT-R launch control on the street? I'd rather leave a street stop in the XKR with a big smile on my face and the XKR's performance will beat 98% of the cars on the street affording you lots of fun. I've always said if I could merge the GT-R and the XKR into one taking the best qualities from both I would have my perfect car. The redesigned 2015 GT-R is said to change into a more comfortable stylish car and I have my eye on it. Who knows you might see me in a new 2015 GT-R in a year or two if Nissan redesigns the GT-R into a better all round car but it will always be a Nissan. The Jaguar XKR for now gets my money. If the redesigned 2015 XKR morphs into a Bentley GT and the GT-R is redesigned into a better street car I'll jump brands. I have no loyalty. My car purchase decision is based purely on innovation, quality, my needs, and value. I can afford any car I want and the Jaguar XKR offers a lot of value and keeps me smiling. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that looks into the garage before going to sleep and seeing that beautiful cat makes me smile... No other car makes be feel as good as the Jaguar XKR. A new Ferrari 458 Italia would without question make be feel good to see it in the garage but at $300K I would need an income of over five million/year and a net worth of more than $100,000,000 to justify it. I'm more than happy with my new XKR.

Last edited by DGL; 07-29-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Depends on what you are looking for. Outright performance, driving regularly at 10/10ths on a track? From all I've read, the Nissan. But for style, elegance and still ferocious power and performance? The XKR, in any of its variants. Not even close, in my view, if it's the latter question you are looking to answer.

It's interesting, how the "public" reacts to cars. For my Dinan M3 and the Porsche 930, I tend to get "cool car" comments from younger kids and track types. For the Jag, I get "gorgeous", "beautiful", "elegant", "stunning" comments, from grown ups.

Since I'm a bit of all of these (except younger, I suppose), I am covered, one way or another

Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

$100,000 Nissan? Nah.

Have you sat inside of a GT-R? The interior is sub standards

Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 PM

Guys
Thank you for all the inputs!
The main concern about the xkrs is its depreciation(already have an XF) and also the Jag pretty much use the same engine for all models.
The GTR's interior is bad but just like zr1, performance orientated.
Another major pros about the GTR is it's AWD, which means I can drive in winter haha.
For 100k on a NISSAN is fine to me, just like spend 400k on LFA. I don't see any problem with that. If you test drive one of them, you will know it's very high tech compared to most exotic cars.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I see more GTRs around here than XKRs, not to mention XKR-Ss. Would you rather attract the ladies or the teenagers at the movie theater?
Then I should probably buy a lanbo, lol

Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
I purchased a 2013 XKR 2 days ago with dynamic pack and performance exhaust. I recently sold my 2011 XKR 175 and missed it. I considered replacing it with a Maserati Gran Turismo S or MC, Porsche 911 Turbo S, Audi R8 V10, F-type, Lambo Gallardo, used 2009 Ferrari F1 430 or a GT-R. I looked seriously at the GT-R only for its performance qualities and Nissan reliability. I wanted something that would make be feel special and the GT-R, although a phenomenal performance car didn't put as big a smile on my face as the XKR. The Maserati lacked performance, the Porsche felt cheap, the R8 did nothing for me and lacked space like the Ferrari, lambo and F-type. I was looking for a GT with more performance without giving up style and comfort. Another XKR was the only choice and I can't wait for it to arrive. The XKR is just a beautiful ride, a far better looking and stylish car than the GT-R, much more comfortable and as a street car offers tons of fun. The GT-R will excel on the track. I'm not a track guy. How often would you use the GT-R launch control on the street? I'd rather leave a street stop in the XKR with a big smile on my face and the XKR's performance will beat 98% of the cars on the street affording you lots of fun. I've always said if I could merge the GT-R and the XKR into one taking the best qualities from both I would have my perfect car. The redesigned 2015 GT-R is said to change into a more comfortable stylish car and I have my eye on it. Who knows you might see me in a new 2015 GT-R in a year or two if Nissan redesigns the GT-R into a better all round car but it will always be a Nissan. The Jaguar XKR for now gets my money. If the redesigned 2015 XKR morphs into a Bentley GT and the GT-R is redesigned into a better street car I'll jump brands. I have no loyalty. My car purchase decision is based purely on innovation, quality, my needs, and value. I can afford any car I want and the Jaguar XKR offers a lot of value and keeps me smiling. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that looks into the garage before going to sleep and seeing that beautiful cat makes me smile... No other car makes be feel as good as the Jaguar XKR. A new Ferrari 458 Italia would without question make be feel good to see it in the garage but at $300K I would need an income of over five million/year and a net worth of more than $100,000,000 to justify it. I'm more than happy with my new XKR.
Yeah, I heard that too a facelift for 2015 and R38 in 2018.
But can't wait that long, haha

Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
I looked at both really hard and went back and forth a few times. In the end the Jaguar won me over. It might not have been completely fair though, since I really wanted a convertible too. However, while the GTR is about the best bang for the buck you can buy, the exclusivity, luxury, sound, ride quality, and looks of the Jag are undeniable.

You have to decide what kind of car you want. Ultra performance, better track ability, hardcore and rougher riding...Or a high performance GT with better fit and finish and a more forgiving and comfortable ride. Both are really fast with the GTR being the faster of the two, but I don't think for a second you will be disappointed with the power of the XKR-S. Its more than enough for the streets, especially once it's moving.

Honestly if I was only looking at a coupe...Hmmm. I'm not sure what I would have done.
haha, if you dont mind what deal you get on xkrs?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree with the other comments. I also considered a new gtr, but went with the xkr-s. I have several friends who have gtr's. people cross shop these cars, because they are high performance and can be driven daily and have back seats. However, other than that, they are very different. If you want to track your car often, drag race on the track or street, and are very concerned about ring times, 0-60 etc, go for the gtr. If you want a fast gt car that looks and sounds great and is more comfortable, but is not the fastest car on the street or track, go for the jag. Don't get me wrong though- the xkr-s is fast. It's problem is rear tire traction, so 0-60 and 1/4 mi times aren't great. My car runs even with my friend's 2011 997 turbo Pdk from a slow roll

Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by michael_chen217
haha, if you dont mind what deal you get on xkrs?
I think the best deals on the XKR-S are the slightly used 2012 models. MSRP on my car was $140k but I picked it up for $95k in mint condition with only 6000 miles. I have seen a blue 2012 coupe listed for $90k. You just have to look around on different websites like autotrader and car gurus.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I'd only go for the GTR if you are into the whole Jap JDM car culture and in that case the GTR is on the top level. The performance is without question and telemetry screen is wicked cool. If you want to mod the car, the GTR is the clear choice.

If you want cool, exclusive, and more tasteful car, the XKRS would be my pick. No Nissan will ever be a Jag and no matter what GTR you have, there will be someone with a GTR with more everything than yours.

I'd rather wait for the new NSX if going Japanese is important (even though it'll be made in USA).

Ask yourself what are the most important features-factors in a car for you?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Default Beauty vs Beast

eni meeni miny mo: Beauty(XKR) vs Beast(GT-R) which will it be...

Old 07-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

The main concern about the xkrs is its depreciation
As the others have said, buy used - the biggest hit happens when you drive the brand-new car off the lot, and a big chunk of the rest goes in the first year.

and also the Jag pretty much use the same engine for all models.
'Cos it's a bloody good engine

I agree, the AWD of the GT-R was attractive - even though snow isn't often a problem round here, it works in the wet too, and off the line in the dry. And it has back seats you can actually use for adults. But there were too many (admittedly not major) negatives vs. the XKR.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (08-04-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

The GT-R is a phenomenal car and for the right person offers an unmatched experience. Some people here hate on it. The GT-R can be a lot of fun if the fit is right. I may trade my G37 in on one. I'd love to have a GT-R hobby car. After driving a performance oriented car (my sold 175) it's hard to go back to a regular car. I visit the GTRLife forum sometimes to get updated on the GT-R. Most people there are race and performance oriented first and don't hate on my Jaguar preference. My priorities are different. However, I respect there passion for the GT-R.

The GT-R members show me videos and talk about how fast their cars are first. Members on this forum love their cars, the exotic look, livable ride quality and the pedigree. Both the GT-R and XK line-up are great cars and most likely will go down in the history books of motor cars for their own merits.

The XK is offered in the base model with a non SC motor pushing 380hp or so. People who buy this configuration see the car for it's pure beauty. People who option for the XKR or XKR-S want a more performance oriented experience. The GT-R is offered basically in configuration. Can you imagine the GT-R being configured with a non-turbo V6, like the G37. It would be a joke. This highlights the difference between the XK and GT-R. The GT-R built for speed and to kill the Porsche 911 which it does successfully. The XK is a more versatile car with a great pedigree. I love them both for what they are.

Don't hate on the best street performance car ever built for around $100K. Accept it for what it is, not for what it is not. One thing we can all agree on, we love our cars.

Last edited by DGL; 08-04-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

A friend of mine is the top GTR tuner in our metro area. Never been in a faster car ever! I wish they'd put that engine into something more exotic looking. Does the engine get to hot to make it a rear-mid engine designed car?

Quick Reply: 2012 xkrs vs 2012 gtr