XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2013 Performance Active Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
I think it's pretty much the S exhaust; I wouldn't be surprised if the nominal power increase is underrated. Might be a good option to include.
I've just bought an ex-Jaguar management XK-R with speed pack and black pack and the technician at the local dealers said that when he checked it he found that it had a sports exhaust fitted, possibly one from the XK-RS. The info that I have read said that most of the XK-RS's extra power comes from the exhaust so it would be interesting to know for sure what I have.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
That makes perfect sense. Yet, you chose an egg-frying Ultimate Black exterior for your XJ for such hot climate. I would think that a heat-reflecting white or silver with a light interior would be the perfect color for Houston. No?

Now, I do like Black and London Tan combo. It is very classy for cool London. But, Houston?

Albert
Yeah, I'm just a sucker for a black Jag! Have had 5 of them. Car is usually parked under cover, so while rolling I really enjoy the cooled seats.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by aahmichael
This option was first offered for MY2012. One would assume it would work on any 10+ XKR. However, just on the face of it, it seems that the Mina Exhaust offers a lot more for a lot less.
I don't like the loss of power on the low end from the Mina...

Old 05-26-2012, 11:56 AM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BJohnson
I've just bought an ex-Jaguar management XK-R with speed pack and black pack and the technician at the local dealers said that when he checked it he found that it had a sports exhaust fitted, possibly one from the XK-RS. The info that I have read said that most of the XK-RS's extra power comes from the exhaust so it would be interesting to know for sure what I have.
OCturbo might be able to chime in here...

I think the 2% power increase could be underrated and the $1400 option might be a good one. Question is, is it the exact same system as the S?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
I don't like the loss of power on the low end from the Mina...
As far as I can tell, Albert is the only one who reported a slight loss of power on the low end, but that might be because he is more sensitive to it than others are. Also, Albert has the 4.2 NA engine. I have not read a report from anyone who has done the mod on the 5.0 NA or SC engine.

For me, it's a no-brainer, because I'm getting the base XK, and I want the quad pipes that Mina provides. The extra power that comes with it is just a bonus for me.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by RJC
OCturbo might be able to chime in here...

I think the 2% power increase could be underrated and the $1400 option might be a good one. Question is, is it the exact same system as the S?
According to the buyer's guide, it's the exact same exhaust system. However, the description only speaks about an increase in sound. It doesn't mention anything about an increase in power.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:22 PM
RJC

According to the buyer's guide, it's the exact same exhaust system. However, the description only speaks about an increase in sound. It doesn't mention anything about an increase in power.
I asked the service director from my dealership to contact Jag about this and his response after a couple of days was "less than a 2 percent increase in power and mostly sound".

With fuse 19 removed it allows standard fully active exhaust valves to be open all the time (sounds great) but I think the $1400.00 performance exhaust if indeed its from the S, would be a different animal altogether; the real question is, if it's really the same performance exhaust?

Last edited by RJC; 05-26-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by RJC
I asked the service director from my dealership to contact Jag about this and his response after a couple of days was "less than a 2 percent increase in power and mostly sound".

With fuse 19 removed it allows standard fully active exhaust valves to be open all the time (sounds great) but I think the $1400.00 performance exhaust if indeed its from the S, would be a different animal altogether; the real question is, if it's really the same performance exhaust?
The buyer's guide says it's the exact same exhaust. There is no reason to think that the guide is not accurate.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:43 PM
RJC

The same as the S? If so then the power increase would be probable as the S power increase was primarily from remapping and exhaust if memory serves...

Last edited by RJC; 05-26-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:56 PM
RJC

Liberating an extra 40 hp over and above the XKR entailed remapping the fueling characteristics and increasing exhaust gas flow through the use of an active exhaust system. With the convertible top lowered, the Performance Active exhaust system delivers an authentic, motorsports inspired soundtrack that has been tuned to provide the driver with a thoroughly exhilarating driving experience.

http://www.jaguar.com/us/en/about_ja...rs_convertible

So a 40hp increase from fuel remap and exhaust, so let's say most of the power gains were from the remap; the 2% from the exhaust (10hp) would be a reasonable assumption. Maybe Jaguar doesn't want to broadcast the 10 HP increase since the S increase was just 40? Just something to think about...

Last edited by RJC; 05-26-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

As far as I can tell, Albert is the only one who reported a slight loss of power on the low end, but that might be because he is more sensitive to it than others are. Also, Albert has the 4.2 NA engine. I have not read a report from anyone who has done the mod on the 5.0 NA or SC engine.

For me, it's a no-brainer, because I'm getting the base XK, and I want the quad pipes that Mina provides. The extra power that comes with it is just a bonus for me.
Yes, on both accounts. I've been the only one reporting low end loss of power and yes, I do have the 4.2 XK.

There is no question in my mind on the loss of low end. It is very obvious; the car drones under 1500 and simply does not have the low RPM pickup of the standard exhaust. I have now adjusted my driving, using the DS or the manual mode under conditions that would cause the engine RPM to fall below 1500.

I would bet money that you will loose low end on the normally aspirated 5.0 as well, since the Mina is all about high end power. Generally you can't have both unless you go the supercharger route. The Mina really shines when you get passed 4000 RPM.

I should be ignoring this thread as I found myself sleep-walking through the order selections for a 2013 XKR, just because the link was provided. I did chose the Italian Red and the Dynamic package before I woke up and slapped my hands. After all, I am rather happy with my XK now.

Albert

Old 05-26-2012, 06:52 PM

I should be ignoring this thread as I found myself sleep-walking through the order selections for a 2013 XKR, just because the link was provided. I did chose the Italian Red and the Dynamic package before I woke up and slapped my hands. After all, I am rather happy with my XK now.

Albert
So, you're happy with it despite the low end power loss?

As far as ignoring this thread, hell, I should be ignoring almost every thread on here, because it was all I could do NOT to order the XKR. I had to keep reminding myself, almost everyday, why the XK was a better fit for me than the XKR...but it's been a struggle. :-)

Old 05-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

So, you're happy with it despite the low end power loss?

As far as ignoring this thread, hell, I should be ignoring almost every thread on here, because it was all I could do NOT to order the XKR. I had to keep reminding myself, almost everyday, why the XK was a better fit for me than the XKR...but it's been a struggle. :-)
Yes, after some struggle, I can say that I am happy with the Mina now. Just had to adjust my driving to it, something that some people might not prefer to do. The looks is definitely better, the sound is better and the power gains over 3500 RPM are substantial. I'm still tempted to install the second resonator, as per the XKR, but leaning in that direction less and less.

Same here, the XK is a better fit for me right now, for the kind of driving that I do. I has all the looks and beauty of the XKR and rather impressive acceleration for "only" 300+ hp. I feel the Mina must have added a good 20+hp to the high end as demonstrated by my original acceleration test where the car gained near 3 seconds from 70-110 MPH. You do not gain 3 seconds in a near 11 sec time frame without a fairly sizable power increase.

Albert

Old 05-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJC
Liberating an extra 40 hp over and above the XKR entailed remapping the fueling characteristics and increasing exhaust gas flow through the use of an active exhaust system...

Jaguar USA - JAGUAR XKR-S CONVERTIBLE

So a 40hp increase from fuel remap and exhaust, so let's say most of the power gains were from the remap; the 2% from the exhaust (10hp) would be a reasonable assumption. Maybe Jaguar doesn't want to broadcast the 10 HP increase since the S increase was just 40? Just something to think about...
From your attached link:

"The Roots-type twin-vortex supercharger nestling in the ‘V’ of the engine has twin intercoolers and is 20 percent more thermodynamically efficient than its predecessor."

So, there is possibly a large part of the power increase right in the supercharger. 20 percent improvement is significant and should increase power noticeably.

Albert

Old 05-26-2012, 08:47 PM
RJC

From your attached link:

"The Roots-type twin-vortex supercharger nestling in the ‘V’ of the engine has twin intercoolers and is 20 percent more thermodynamically efficient than its predecessor."

So, there is possibly a large part of the power increase right in the supercharger. 20 percent improvement is significant and should increase power noticeably.

Albert
I believe all the newer XKR's (not just S) have this supercharger, it's the same as the ZR-1's...

Old 05-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I almost did not buy the Mina exhaust because of reading here about the loss of low end Q. The gain on the high end meant nothing to me. I've not noticed any loss of "oomph" on the low end but I'm only an everyday driver.

I liked the look of the quad tips and wanted a bit more resonance from the exhaust. The quad tips look fabulous, the whole system oozes class (too bad you can't see most of it) and the exhaust note is beautiful. Yup, the 1200 to 1400 rpm drone that was there with the OEM exhaust is still there but with a bit more emphasis.

So what. I also spend more time in the "S" mode to keep the drone down but that just adds to the exhaust note and to the fun of driving around town. I've even had two neighbors comment on how great the car sounds so I couldn't have made that bad of a decision.

Last edited by TFlan; 05-27-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Grammatical
Old 08-23-2020, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys,

May you have a part number of the performance active exhaust?

Old 08-23-2020, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 909 Posts

The intermediate section (x pipe) is C2P22073.

The back box is C2P24865.

I didn't bother changing the back box on my '10 XKR as the x pipe alone helped unlock a huge amount of power once I added a tune.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the information.
So my original XKR Backbox is different to C2P24865? They look like same

Best wishes

Old 08-24-2020, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 909 Posts

The internals are slightly different presumably to make it more free flowing and/or louder.

There are photos on the forum somewhere of a standard one cut open and being modified to be more like the one in the XKR-S.

Quick Reply: 2013 Performance Active Exhaust