XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2018 Aston Martin Vantage - they ruined it

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
it was cruel, one of the guys gave one of the girls a nickname. He called her Crisco ... because she was fat in the can!
As result, he is most likely giving crisco kisses at the Blue Oyster.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Check this out fellas.
Today! someone in Forbes used the same exact example I used here 3 days ago to show how the public's perception is being hijacked/manipulated by crafty reviewers.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/.../#69bfb6402028

Old 11-28-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

We may be missing the point.

I believe what the Vantage has done is change the game. And the video below demonstrates that.

As Stuart pointed out, there was a time when we made fun of 'fat in the can', until Sir Mix-a-lot (I believe he was knighted for his effort) changed public perception about large posteriors to the point where people are going out and getting plastic surgery to look like the thing they once ridiculed.

I believe AM has just put a fine point on functionality over aesthetics. Lets be honest, all grills (intakes) on all cars are not designed for maximum functionality, they are designed to resemble its heritage. AM has just turned the game on its head. Watch the video and see if you agree. Note the angle they took, pure animal/beast.

You know I am no AM fanboy, I believe they are making the statement that they are so aesthetically pleasing that they can afford to be functional where it maters.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
We may be missing the point....

I believe what the Vantage has done is change the game. And the video below demonstrates that.
Nope. They just screwed TF-up.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Nope. They just screwed TF-up.
You should thank them- it makes your Jaguar more relevant that ever. 500hp, powerband from 2000-5000, V8.

If left to Jaguar, the replacement car to ours would have a 4cyl Ingenium engine. Or worse, electric. And they would make you feel like a flat-footed ogre for wanting more.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

PLUS, Big Butts are still way-gross

Old 11-28-2017, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

In a way Cee Jay AM is still following tradition and heritage. They have always been about maximum open-area on the grill. I think it may even induce downforce. I think the lip does.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

The more I see of this car, the more I like it. I like them all though...

Old 11-28-2017, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Have to agree with you Moses, the only 2 cars that I would trade my car for- with some reluctance mind you, would be the one you have or this one. I have had a knack for keeping cars that stand the test of time. All the ones I sold are now has-beens. The ones I kept for 25 years are which are younger have skyrocketed or still admired.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Yes, I am thinking that like it or love it, this is car is going to make pretty much everything else on the road look a little...less.

Needs quad pipes though.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

It might look a little better if they remove the zits in the grill. They stand out

Old 11-28-2017, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
.............. this is car is going to make pretty much everything else on the road look a little...less......
Less Grody? Yucky? It makes the new Lexus grills look actually GOOD by comparison. I'd rather have a used Miata than this 'vantage', and I can't STAND Miatas.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

hahahahaha, I actually dont mind the lexus grilles either, on the LC at least. I keep banging away about it, but essentially the grille on this and the LC is about knee height so you are usually looking down at it and dont see it all at once. The reason that they look so prominent in the teasers is that photographers are obsessed with taking pictures from ground level which you'd never see in real life unless you were about to be run over by one.

I reckon it looks more like a toyota 86 than a miata from the front, but I'll stake a testie that in the metal it'll be a stunner. Not one of my testies, of course, but someone's...

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (11-29-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:18 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeez had to mute the guy at the beginning!! rear is nice and also the colour..apart from that nope!!

Old 12-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Since you are 1in-a-million who spotted the magician's trick, I'll tell you. Its a world that consumers dont know about.

What you are seeing is a total shift of power. Mainstream magazines (king-makers) have historically held a gun to our heads. Demanding budget-busting ad commitments, booth babes, $5000 wine (no joke) and crisco to make it all go smoothly. OR our newborn will die on the vine and no one will hear about it. Companies like AM did not even stand a chance. Consider the latest review by Time magazine that gave the Apple 10 phone the 2nd most important product made this year. When LG V30 is better.

But nowadays, any punk with camera and a YouTube channel can get more grassroots eyeballs than these wallet grabbing dinosaurs. So we figured a new way to level the playing field in our favor and get revenge. We invest in the theatrics and invite everyone, no more exclusive behind the scenes with hopes of getting on the top 10 list of mercy.

The proof is right in front of your eyes, what review are we reading, its not the one from Road and Track. Its someone you have never heard of before and he has greater reach, more easily pleased and motivated. He just needs a stage and lighting. And yes we can dangle him for a review or factory tour, whereas, the big media would demand we send the factory to them- before they lifted a finger.

HA! $5000 wines? If only. How about $38,000 bottles of whisky? Yes, $38K for a fifth of Balvenie Fifty Cask! I've had the pleasure, and it is a true pleasure, to have sipped the glorious Pappy. I cannot imagine how a whisky could be 38 times better, but perhaps others here could.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member

..... and "Two Buck Chuck" won a wine tasting at the 28th Annual International Eastern Wine Competition, beating out multi-thousand-dollar "good" wines.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

AM I am sure expects some ruffled feathers when their bread and butter car is so innovative looking compared to the previous one. If you listen Palmer's dialog on the new Vantage it totally makes sense. Has the styling cues from "DB10" and Valkyrie and is going to be foundation for future models. He wanted his mom to be able to tell each model apart which is actually difficult with current line up.

Go into an AM showroom and even I get confused. I have spent a lot of time in my local showroom over the years between the Lotus and AM my local dealer both sells. "Is that a DB9?" No, it's a Vanquish... "Is that a Vantage?" No, that is a DB9... "Is that a Vanquish?" No, it's the front of a Rapide... At least they all look like an Aston.

Jaguar, "Is that an XF?" No, it's an XE... Last summer I was at British Car day and a British guy was telling me how he wants to buy an XE, standing in front of my XE thinking it was an XF.... This guy knew Jags...

Old 12-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buddhaboy
HA! $5000 wines? If only. How about $38,000 bottles of whisky? Yes, $38K for a fifth of Balvenie Fifty Cask! I've had the pleasure, and it is a true pleasure, to have sipped the glorious Pappy. I cannot imagine how a whisky could be 38 times better, but perhaps others here could.
If we agree that pursuits are in actuality intangible and psychological; then reality becomes immaterial. And the efficacy of the sauce can vary wildly between those who are starving and those decadently full.

Gold leaf on sushi does nothing tangible- but I assume the notion of defecating gold knowing that there is a world panning for it is a priceless gratification. Not unlike Donald and Melania's love of gold.

(P.s. They are not enjoying the $5k wine, these bums are effectively going to Mt. Everest by ordering something from the menu they could never do in an average lifetime, and the gratification is in the sadistic abuse of watching us sweat when the bill comes.)

Old 12-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
At least they all look like an Aston.
The thing that AM is doing so brilliantly is always designing a car that the youth salivate over.

Designing an exotic car that appeals to the elderly is a fool's errand. Ask the owner of Ford Thunderbirds, who have had to resort to forceful groping.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

The thing that AM is doing so brilliantly is always designing a car that the youth salivate over.

Designing an exotic car that appeals to the elderly is a fool's errand. Ask the owner of Ford Thunderbirds, who have had to resort to forceful groping.
They are designing for the buyers, not dreamers. Just like when many were aghast when new Rolls Royce designs came out. Looked nothing like the Seraph of before. Those who did not like the design were not actual buyers; Rolls did a lot development in concert with actual perspective buyers on the design. How much weight should the opinions of those who will never be a buyer be? The elderly are more apt to buy a DB over a Vantage and their respective designs reflect this.