XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

350 dollars for an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 350 dollars for an oil change

Just had my 2012 XKRS in for recall and was told an oil change would be 350$ which is quite a bit even in Canadian dollars. Just found a vacuum canister at Princess auto for 90$, filter and oil should be around 80$. (Castrol on sale at Canadian tire) Bought an online service manual for about 15$ (over 3000 pages) should be good to go. Dealer said welcome to the world of Jaguar, really?
Gerry

Old 04-07-2015, 10:33 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Bergy
Just had my 2012 XKRS in for recall and was told an oil change would be 350$ which is quite a bit even in Canadian dollars. Just found a vacuum canister at Princess auto for 90$, filter and oil should be around 80$. (Castrol on sale at Canadian tire) Bought an online service manual for about 15$ (over 3000 pages) should be good to go. Dealer said welcome to the world of Jaguar, really?
Gerry

Is this the Gerry that was interested in purchasing my XKR in Halifax? If so, congratulations on your purchase. I was going to let you know about this forum but you ended our emails abruptly. However, I suggest you go back to Jaguar to purchase the correct oil. Jaguar only recommends their proprietary blend. Although it is probably the same as a standard Castrol product under a different label. You should still have some remaining warranty on your car and you don't want to mess with it. Your dealer should sell you the recommended oil, I know my local dealer will sell it--it wasn't any more expensive than crappy tire.

FYI you don't need to use an evacuator to extract the old oil. My dealer uses the oil pan drain. Now if you bought my car you would have 2 more years of free maintenance and warranty and that oil change would have been on Jaguar including the next 2 and the brake fluid change which your car is due for, unless it has already been done. LOL.

Did you end up buying from a dealer?

Last edited by DGL; 04-07-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Just for a point of reference, my independent mechanic (Jag Master Tech) charged me $135 USD for an oil change on my father's 2012 XKR-S, using the Jaguar-blend of Castrol, an OEM filter and the BG MOA additive.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Bergy
Dealer said welcome to the world of Jaguar, really?
Gerry
Yes, if you insist on going to the dealer. Somebody's got to pay for the fancy showroom and waiting area.

Use whichever oil you like as long as it meets the Jag spec and appropriate viscosity for your climate.

Gotta love Princess Auto. Our neighbours to the south are missing out.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

$250 max at dealer and they better serve good coffee!

The following users liked this post:
GritsNCornbread (05-10-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

As i mentioned in the past I am about ready to select a dealer (Albany Jaguar in NY) in order to get a few updates. So when I go I'll let them do a yearly oil change. I bought my 2012 a year ago and at that time the dealer did the 1st oil change at 6600 miles. I just turned 11,000 so timing is right. Although I usually service all of my vehicles I'll do the 1st one just to establish a dealer. I got quoted $160 for the oil/flt change which they also said included an overall inspection. I assume that is to tell me what else needs to be done. Also includes a wash and vacuum , haha. I was told the 2012 XKR took 9 quarts of oil but based on my investigation it looks like 7.6 qts and in my area it's $9 a quart so it would be $72 for oil and $35 for a filter. $107 for the change and the extra $53 for their labor/overhead. I have a vacuum extractor which I use for my changes and will use next year. I'll drop the extra bucks to get the car on record.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:20 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
As i mentioned in the past I am about ready to select a dealer (Albany Jaguar in NY) in order to get a few updates. So when I go I'll let them do a yearly oil change. I bought my 2012 a year ago and at that time the dealer did the 1st oil change at 6600 miles. I just turned 11,000 so timing is right. Although I usually service all of my vehicles I'll do the 1st one just to establish a dealer. I got quoted $160 for the oil/flt change which they also said included an overall inspection. I assume that is to tell me what else needs to be done. Also includes a wash and vacuum , haha. I was told the 2012 XKR took 9 quarts of oil but based on my investigation it looks like 7.6 qts and in my area it's $9 a quart so it would be $72 for oil and $35 for a filter. $107 for the change and the extra $53 for their labor/overhead. I have a vacuum extractor which I use for my changes and will use next year. I'll drop the extra bucks to get the car on record.

That sounds reasonable. Don't let the dealer goons wash your car unless you want them to scratch it and leave swirl marks all over it. I'm sure you know this. Any car bought off the lot has more paint damage caused by improper washing. I spend $2,000 getting my car professionally detailed when I first bought it (with only 300 miles on it) and it looks better than any show room Jaguar at the dealer--no swirls, no rub scratches and properly finished. I'll have it done again this spring to spruce it up. 2013 XKR's came with 4 years of free maintenance (oil, oil filter and brake fluid change coverage of the house).

I would ask for a break down of the costs for that $350 oil change Gerry. That sounds outrageously high.

Last edited by DGL; 04-08-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
using the Jaguar-blend of Castrol,
No such thing

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
BG MOA additive.
The owners manual instructs specifically against any such additive.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:37 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
No such thing

Jaguar recommends an oil which meets their specific specs and only the Castrol 5W-20 Professional SLX(?) meets it. This oil can't be purchased any where. Although, it may be no different than Castrol Edge, none the less it is the only recommended oil according to my dealer.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
Jaguar recommends an oil which meets their specific specs and only the Castrol 5W-20 Professional SLX(?) meets it. This oil can't be purchased any where. Although, it may be no different than Castrol Edge, none the less it is the only recommended oil according to my dealer.
Is this oil required for a 2012 XKR?

In any case, I thought it had been demonstrated that there are several oils that now meet Jags' latest spec.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:39 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Is this oil required for a 2012 XKR?

In any case, I thought it had been demonstrated that there are several oils that now meet Jags' latest spec.

Jaguar only recommends the 5W-20 Professional SLX which meets their specifications. Although, other oils may meet the specs Jaguar doesn't recommend it for their 5L SC engines. What does this mean if your engine blows up when you never used their recommended oil? Without a doubt this is designed to bring customers into their service center to increase sales etc. However, if you used a non-recommended oil, what will Jaguar do when you show up with a blown engine? Who wants to mess with this to save a few hundred dollars? I'd suggest you write Jaguar in get it in writing before using a non-recommended oil.

As we all know there is a water pump problem with these engines and no gauges to monitor temperature or oil pressure. During the ownership of my car under the warranty I will only maintain my car as Jaguar recommends. When it is out of warranty, if I still have it, I will replace the water pump or defective water pump part (hose, etc.) and monitor the critical metrics through the OBD2 port/torque app to maintain my engine is operating within a healthy range. At this point only will I consider changing to a non-recommended engine oil. This is easy for me to say because my maintenance is also covered for 4 years from new because I have a 2013.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
Jaguar only recommends the 5W-20 Professional SLX which meets their specifications. Although, other oils may meet the specs Jaguar doesn't recommend it for their 5L SC engines. What does this mean if your engine blows up when you never used their recommended oil? Without a doubt this is designed to bring customers into their service center to increase sales etc. However, if you used a non-recommended oil, what will Jaguar do when you show up with a blown engine? Who wants to mess with this to save a few hundred dollars? I'd suggest you write Jaguar in get it in writing before using a non-recommended oil.

The manual calls out a specification which must be followed for any warranty consideration. They merely recommend Castrol brand as part of their long standing marketing agreement.

It is illegal for an OEM to require an owner to use a specific brand of product. Warranty cannot be denied if another product is used that meets the Jag spec.

This point has been clarified many times.

Cee Jay (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

It is illegal for an OEM to require an owner to use a specific brand of product. Warranty cannot be denied if another product is used that meets the Jag spec.

This point has been clarified many times.
Penzoil & Mobile would tear Jaguar a new one if their "in spec" oil was called out as not being in spec and to blame for an engine blowing up.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Nowadays, all quality brand oils are pretty much the same, especially when full synthetic. As long as the correct viscosity is used for your climate, any good F/S oil will be more than good enough for ANY engine.
There is an independent shop near me which specializes in European automobiles, and they have a VERY good reputation. Cost for my complete oil service and vehicle check? $84 US. Dealers are ALWAYS higher, and ALL car manufacturers since 1920 have recommended ONLY their own brand of everything. Built-in profit from those who don't know any better.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Castrol synthetic edge in the store and the professional castrol edge is much lighter in color as I found this weekend when my son in law brought his turbo chevy in for a lof with store brand castrol edge. I compared it to the pro at the pro is night and day clearer. the cstrol from the store was dark. have no idea if it matters but was interesting.
and $2000 for a detail? I would not be concerned about the $$$ for a oil change then. BTW we're $180 out the door.

Ill make one more point I see all the time. You take your car to a non Jaguar place to have a oiil change to save some money. But what are you really saving? In the past month I have had 2 cars with new brakes all the way around and a indie lof sticker. problem is both were 2011's with included maintenance 2 time replacement pads and rotors while under warranty. And because they didnt want to spend $180 but opted for a cheaper oil change, they were then all to happy to save money on the dealer costs for pads and rotors when pointed out that they were getting thin. So paying over $1000 you could imagine what the cost if we had done them ......Uh FREE with your 2011 included maintenance. You may have forgotten this but we do not.
I see the same thing with extended warranties. Customers that do go to a dealer for oil changes but a local shop, and only to the dealer when they have a problem. You have No idea how many problems I have found because I KNOW THE CARS AND THE ISSUES. And I look all the time. suspension, oil, trans, coolant leaks etc. I know the signs before they leave you stranded or worse yet, become a issue AFTER the warranty expired and then it come out of you pocket! So again what do you save. Many here are enthusiast and watch much better than most. But then we arent like MOST owners now are we

Last edited by Brutal; 04-08-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Lothar52 (05-12-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Just paid 110$ at the dealer here in Charlotte, N.C

Old 04-08-2015, 04:06 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
Castrol synthetic edge in the store and the professional castrol edge is much lighter in color as I found this weekend when my son in law brought his turbo chevy in for a lof with store brand castrol edge. I compared it to the pro at the pro is night and day clearer. the cstrol from the store was dark. have no idea if it matters but was interesting.
and $2000 for a detail? I would not be concerned about the $$$ for a oil change then. BTW we're $180 out the door.
If you're referring to me I'm not concerned with the price of an oil change. I'm simply commenting on the OP's thread. Some people like to wrench and do some of the maintenance on their beloved cars. It gives personal satisfaction. Some people also just like to save a few $s it makes them feel good. My car was detailed in my garage by a friend in the business. He removed the polished aluminum rims, cleaned, the wheel wells, cleaned and repolished the rims off the car including the inside, completely taped the car before applying several high end products over 4 days, cleaned the inside and applied lexol leather conditional, applied rain repellent product to glass exterior, and a fog repellent on the interior, etc, etc. When he was done with the car it was amazing and looked better than any new car off the lot--just amazing. It made me feel special to drive it and people would comment on how good it looked. People value things differently and do things to make them happy. As long as something makes you happy all the best!

Last edited by DGL; 04-08-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Brutal (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

A quick thread-jack question along this topic if I may....
Did I understand correctly that Jag eliminated both the dipstick and drain plug from the 5.0L? (Or was it just the dipstick?)

I've recently been looking about, at second gen XKRs (abet used and probably out of warranty for my budget) and this topic reawakened my curiosity about it.

Thanks...

Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Just put PURRRLL back on the road . . .

Just put PURRRLL back on the road and so it was time for an annual check up and oil change as I don't exceed the mileage dictates of the Castrol Synthetic. After reading many posts here, I asked the Service Manager AND Tech what oil was going to be put in my, still under warranty, XKR. Both said Castrol Edge 5w/20 as the Professional SLX is no longer available and has been replaced by the "Edge" AND it meets Jag specs.

Total cost was $162US, including an overall vehicle inspection. I normally keep a tight eye on my Jags, but considering I'd have to pay $10 each for 8qts. and $35+ for a quality filter, plus my time; I decided to go to the Dealer. As a Jag Tech on here said, the insights and knowledge of having a Jag certified Tech look at my under warranty vehicle is, in my view, worth the extra $30 and the 1 hr. wait in the showroom wasn't too bad as I scheduled the 1st appointment of the day. You don't want to hear my stories of local mechanics that said they knew how to service Jags.

After the warranty runs out, different story perhaps, but making sure everything was proper as PURRRLL went back on the road after a five (5) month hiatus for a beautiful and enjoyable 1,500 mile GT trip through eight (8) US states was worth the extra $30 bucks and peace of mind.

Owned a lot of Jags, dealer costs can be high; but knowledge (more so with Jags) has a price and sometimes, sometimes it is worth the cost. Not always, but sometimes.

$350 for an LOF is a little much though. I'd find a new dealership if it were me.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
If you're referring to me I'm not concerned with the price of an oil change. I'm simply commenting on the OP's thread. Some people like to wrench and do some of the maintenance on their beloved cars. It gives personal satisfaction. Some people also just like to save a few $s it makes them feel good. My car was detailed in my garage by a friend in the business. He removed the polished aluminum rims, cleaned, the wheel wells, cleaned and repolished the rims off the car including the inside, completely taped the car before applying several high end products over 4 days, cleaned the inside and applied lexol leather conditional, applied rain repellent product to glass exterior, and a fog repellent on the interior, etc, etc. When he was done with the car it was amazing and looked better than any new car off the lot--just amazing. It made me feel special to drive it and people would comment on how good it looked. People value things differently and do things to make them happy. As long as something makes you happy all the best!
Just partially you on the detail. everything is relevant to everyone. I cant see paying $1mil plus for a house, but then those that do probobly make
$50k a month or more. Nor would many people every consider buying a Jaguar. Mearly a observation on your statement that if youre in that realm a oil change is the least of your concerns.

Quick Reply: 350 dollars for an oil change