XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

350 dollars for an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015 | 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by CleverName
A quick thread-jack question along this topic if I may....
Did I understand correctly that Jag eliminated both the dipstick and drain plug from the 5.0L? (Or was it just the dipstick?)

I've recently been looking about, at second gen XKRs (abet used and probably out of warranty for my budget) and this topic reawakened my curiosity about it.

Thanks...
electric dipstick now, and just like a metal one it only shows a range from full to 2qts low. after that you could be 2.1qts low, or empty. And drain plug is still there, 16mm

The following users liked this post:
CleverName (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015 | 06:09 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
Just partially you on the detail. everything is relevant to everyone. I cant see paying $1mil plus for a house, but then those that do probobly make
$50k a month or more. Nor would many people every consider buying a Jaguar. Mearly a observation on your statement that if youre in that realm a oil change is the least of your concerns.

You may find this interesting:

When Warren Buffett buys a pair of socks he always buys 2 pairs of the same because he says he gets more mileage out them this way. He goes on to say, "usually one sock wears out and the good one is just thrown out. This way I keep wearing the good sock longer". Of course Warren Buffett can afford a new pair of socks, but it is a mind set that plays out in his life in many different ways which he profits from.

FrickenJag (04-09-2015)
Old 04-08-2015 | 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

The last oil change on my 4.2 at my Jaguar dealer (the "12 month service") which included the oil and filter change (7 litres of Castrol 5W30) , new sump plug and washer, refill of washer fluid, tire check, brake lining check, general mechanical check...the total was $162.95 Canadian....so the $350 USD service must have been done with gold-plated wrenches and oil spout.
And I agree that you should not let anyone else wash your Jaguar if you want the finish to remain pristine...I always have the dealer put a "Do Not Wash" note on the work order.

Old 04-08-2015 | 10:51 PM

Don't think you can compare the cost of the oil change on the 4.2 to the 5.0l but yeah $350.00 WTF.

Old 04-09-2015 | 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
No such thing

The owners manual instructs specifically against any such additive.
I was referring to Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W-20. While it's not specific to Jaguar, it's also not available to the general public. So this is what I was referring to by the "Jaguar" blend.

And while you are correct about what the owner's manual says, I trust a Jaguar and Land Rover Master Technician over the owner's manual.

Old 04-09-2015 | 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone

And while you are correct about what the owner's manual says, I trust a Jaguar and Land Rover Master Technician over the owner's manual.
Despite there being no evidence that such additives are required.

It's your money.

Old 04-09-2015 | 01:26 PM

The other thing to remember is what are you buying or being offered! We have 3 different levels of oil changes which can have added wipers, air filters, additives etc...if i only tell you about the higher priced one and not a option for lessor, then what do you get. You do have to ask because not all are priced or offered the same. I have thrown air filters in people trunks and a note that says come back when your one for the engine is dirty and then ill put this one in for free, well since you paid for it in the package.

Old 04-09-2015 | 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Despite there being no evidence that such additives are required.

It's your money.
It's only $15. And my cars sit a lot- less than 2k miles annually on each. BG has a great reputation, and their products are very high quality and used by my local Jaguar dealership as well.

Everything I've read about the BG MOA has been positive- and I've noticed my XK8 and LR3 both run quieter after adding it.

If you don't believe me, there's plenty of demonstrations on YouTube and tons of positive reviews on various forums.

So I guess my point is, if I notice tangible improvements and it only costs $15, why is there a need to get all bent out of shape over me wanting to use BG MOA?

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 04-09-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-09-2015 | 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
I
So I guess my point is, if I notice tangible improvements and it only costs $15, why is there a need to get all bent out of shape over me wanting to use BG MOA?
Nobody (at least not me) is bent out of shape. It's your car and your money so that means you can do what you want.

There's tons of posts here asking about additives, usually from people who are under the impression that they are recommended or required as part of regular maintenance. This advice frequently comes from garages or dealers that are looking for a little additional profit through upselling unnecessary services.

If you believe the cars run better with them and think $15 is good value, go for it.

Old 04-10-2015 | 09:52 PM

Have a 2010 XKR and just did my first oil change and "The Book" is very specific that the oil has to meet spec "WSS M2C925-A". Spent hours trying to find it and ended up purchasing the oil from the local Jag dealer. The interesting thing is that it had a shipping label dated 2012 so I guess it had been sitting there for 3 years. I could find nothing that I trusted that indicated the above spec was replaced or superseded. If someone has that info, it would be great to see.

Old 04-11-2015 | 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mgaffney
Have a 2010 XKR and just did my first oil change and "The Book" is very specific that the oil has to meet spec "WSS M2C925-A". Spent hours trying to find it and ended up purchasing the oil from the local Jag dealer. The interesting thing is that it had a shipping label dated 2012 so I guess it had been sitting there for 3 years. I could find nothing that I trusted that indicated the above spec was replaced or superseded. If someone has that info, it would be great to see.
Based on info from the web there are various oils that meet the spec (which is a Ford spec.) that can be used. Also there are newer extended performance (EP ) oils that replace this spec. such as 930-A and 945-A . So if you can't find it on the self of your auto store and don't have a Jag dealer close by go to a Ford dealer and you can get it there. Oil is always a hot topic but as the cars go to extended oil changes (10K miles or once a year) the oil quality needs to be better. Now just to throw a wrench into the conversation I would bet if you changed your oil every 5000 miles anyone of the 5W-20 or 0W-20 full syn EP or XL oil will not be a problem.

Old 05-06-2015 | 05:55 PM
|

Took a while but found Redline oil matches the 925-A spec for an XKRS so I am set. Have used Redline before in my vintage cars and always found it to be a great product. Should have checked earlier but I was hung up on this Castrol BS. I know you spend all that money on a car why not shell out 350$ plus tax and shop charges? not sure what that means. I enjoy doing my own maintenance and actually think for an oil change a do it yourself person probably does a better job.To top it off 350$+ for a half hour oil change is just plain ridiculous.
Gerry

Old 05-09-2015 | 01:18 AM

Well, my full service at my "local" dealer was 350$ including air filters, spark plugs and whatever else they do. I didn't find it extreme and just paid it. The thing that confuses the hell out of me, my computer is telling me I need another service in 2800km's and I only had it serviced 3 months ago. I also just had all the brakes, rotors done, and my computer is telling me the pads need replacing??? going to bring it to the dealer next week and get this all sorted.

Old 05-10-2015 | 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bergy
To top it off 350$+ for a half hour oil change is just plain ridiculous.
If they serve good coffee and the receptionist is busty... $350 sounds within reason.

Old 05-12-2015 | 08:36 AM
|

Jhuntbach sounds like you paid $350 for some shoddy service, if you did get plugs replaced for that price I may drive out to the Island for my next service.
Gerry

Old 05-12-2015 | 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Now just to throw a wrench into the conversation I would bet if you changed your oil every 5000 miles anyone of the 5W-20 or 0W-20 full syn EP or XL oil will not be a problem.
I would never recommend filling 0W20 or 5W20 into a Jag. The reason? These oils are just too thin.

When it comes to oil you have to know that with high temperature and high shear the force applied on the thin film of lubrication can be very strong.
A very important factor is the displacement resistance of oil in kg/cm² that is applied till the film of lubrications totally breaks down.

Very thin oils are having a very low resistance and will instantly deliver no lubrications at all as soon as you reach a point of very high temperature and shear.
For example: Turbo charged high performance cars usually run wideband oils like 5W50 or 10W60 because you have a high temperature and shear in the turbocharger and pretty high temps in the engine. While everything is bolt up to the same oil circulation the best way to destroy an engine is to put some 0W20 there. You will reach the limits of the oil quick and ruin the engine in no time.

Same for AJ34S and AJ133S engines. Despite the fact that we dont have the turbo, we still reach high temperatures and shear on high RPM and therefore a tough oil is mandatory.
Having a slightly improved gas mileage with a thin oil shouldnt count when you drive a 100k $ car. Id rather put there a thicker oil to give the engine some tougher lubrication when hitting high speeds and forcing it to bring up the maximum power output.
Maybe this is a thing that counts only when you drive the car fast on a regular basis because you can do so, but I would definitly recommend to fill a 5W30 into the Jag even when your country has strict speed limits. Rather save and engine, than saving some dollars during an oil change.

Last edited by resonic; 05-12-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2015 | 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Considering I drive at normal speeds both in towns and highways I usually us the manufactures recommended lubricants. You have different needs and if you are comfortable with going to other then recommended fluids that is your decision and I wouldn't have a issue with that. I remember my Autobahn driving days during my monthly business trips and enjoyed them all. Unfortunately all I could rent at the time was MB's. Enjoy the drive.

Old 05-12-2015 | 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by brutal
castrol synthetic edge in the store and the professional castrol edge is much lighter in color as i found this weekend when my son in law brought his turbo chevy in for a lof with store brand castrol edge. I compared it to the pro at the pro is night and day clearer. The cstrol from the store was dark. Have no idea if it matters but was interesting.
And $2000 for a detail? I would not be concerned about the $$$ for a oil change then. Btw we're $180 out the door.

Ill make one more point i see all the time. You take your car to a non jaguar place to have a oiil change to save some money. But what are you really saving? In the past month i have had 2 cars with new brakes all the way around and a indie lof sticker. Problem is both were 2011's with included maintenance 2 time replacement pads and rotors while under warranty. And because they didnt want to spend $180 but opted for a cheaper oil change, they were then all to happy to save money on the dealer costs for pads and rotors when pointed out that they were getting thin. So paying over $1000 you could imagine what the cost if we had done them ......uh free with your 2011 included maintenance. You may have forgotten this but we do not.
I see the same thing with extended warranties. Customers that do go to a dealer for oil changes but a local shop, and only to the dealer when they have a problem. You have no idea how many problems i have found because i know the cars and the issues. And i look all the time. Suspension, oil, trans, coolant leaks etc. I know the signs before they leave you stranded or worse yet, become a issue after the warranty expired and then it come out of you pocket! So again what do you save. Many here are enthusiast and watch much better than most. But then we arent like most owners now are we
i wish you were my jaguar mechanic brother!!!

ralphwg (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015 | 05:21 PM

I go to Good Year for my oil change on my 1995 Jag VP. Cost $42.00. I always take my own oil filter for the oil change. Shop around for prices on maintenance. Here the Jag dealer won't touch mine. So I have to shop around.

Old 05-21-2015 | 04:04 AM

Had the 84 month Service yesterday. Castrol 5W30 for 50,- € and the whole service including all work and all filters and material ended up at a total of 630,-€.
The changed wipers, oil, oilfilter, airfilters, aircon filters, aircon refresh and well the regular Jaguar inspection checkup. Pretty ok I guess.

Quick Reply: 350 dollars for an oil change