XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

5.0 XKR Full Muffler Delete!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 01:32 PM
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone done this muffler delete with no cats, x pipe, and keeping the stock XKR exhaust tips??

Old 03-29-2020, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

No cats would be a stupid thing to do. Not only illegal, but also irresponsible. Plus, the car won't like it and you'd have a lot of faults. Plus, the performance would decrease by a lot.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
kj07xk (03-29-2020), peterv8 (03-29-2020), Sean W (03-29-2020), Stuart S (03-30-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
No cats would be a stupid thing to do. Not only illegal, but also irresponsible. Plus, the car won't like it and you'd have a lot of faults. Plus, the performance would decrease by a lot.
Well you’re wrong on it being illegal, as well as irresponsible. It’s not a requirement where I live, and almost every sports/muscle car around delete their cats. And you sound like a bit of a dick as well, but maybe it just sounds that way reading your post. I’ve got the CEL/fault issues handled. If the performance drops off by a lot as you say, I’ll get some high flow cats re-installed.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EnRoute30
Well you’re wrong on it being illegal, as well as irresponsible. It’s not a requirement where I live, and almost every sports/muscle car around delete their cats. And you sound like a bit of a dick as well, but maybe it just sounds that way reading your post. I’ve got the CEL/fault issues handled. If the performance drops off by a lot as you say, I’ll get some high flow cats re-installed.
Wow, jump down my throat for facts.
Catalytic converters are mandated Federally for all motor vehicles produced since 1975 for highway use. Cats CAN be removed for off-road unlicensed use on private lands. SO, if you want to drive your Jag around your house on your grass, have fun.
Cats also clean the exhaust quite a lot, so if you think you're special enough to pollute way more than your fair share, I guess we should all bow to you, the Superior Being of the Planet.
The Computer will absolutely HATE not having cats, and will undoubtedly throw a fit with many fault codes, lights, and probably not be able to compensate enough to make it run right. Loosening up the exhaust that much will ALSO throw off the engineering of "What goes in must come out" so there's another fail. The system is optimized as-is from the factory, and only a few select mods will improve performance. Making a TOO MUCH free flowing exhaust has been tried by dozens of forum members in here, and every one was a Fail.
Also again, if you have a desire to run Straight Pipes on a vehicle, please buy and drive a late-eighties Camaro and have fun. Jaguars are NOT ghetto cruisers, and straight pipes would do just that.

The following 5 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
kj07xk (03-29-2020), ralphwg (03-29-2020), Sean W (03-29-2020), Stuart S (03-30-2020), V7Sport (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 06:27 PM

No one jumped down your throat one bit, all I said is how you sounded. You obviously have the means of speaking and explaining things properly, but calling someone stupid and irresponsible wasn’t the right way to get helpful information across. That’s on you.

I’m well aware of what cats do, but I do appreciate your elaborate explanation. I guess every state that doesn’t have emissions, where men drive their cars the way they want to, is full of Superior Beings of the Planet. Which is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. More then my fair share of polluting lol? My cat less Jaguar is the last thing this planet has to worry about my man.

As far as what actually matters and pertains to this thread, you could, and may be very right about the loss of performance and I do appreciate that aspect of your insight. It might be too free flowing, might act and throw codes, or it may not. There are plenty of NEW and OLD cars that run just fine catless with an xpipe and mufflers. Muscle, Sport Luxury and exotics. I’ve personally never ran cats on any of my sports cars from Cobras to Z06’s to maybe my XKR now. None of which were late 80s camaros, or “ghetto cars” lol. Man you really mad over some cats, like everyone HAS to set their cars up the way YOU say. You do seem knowledgeable and potentially very helpful, but you need to get over yaself brother man. Now, if it does run just totally awful as you describe, then I’ll put some high flow cats on, so I’m not the reason the planet comes to an end.

Wow, jump down my throat for facts.
Catalytic converters are mandated Federally for all motor vehicles produced since 1975 for highway use. Cats CAN be removed for off-road unlicensed use on private lands. SO, if you want to drive your Jag around your house on your grass, have fun.
Cats also clean the exhaust quite a lot, so if you think you're special enough to pollute way more than your fair share, I guess we should all bow to you, the Superior Being of the Planet.
The Computer will absolutely HATE not having cats, and will undoubtedly throw a fit with many fault codes, lights, and probably not be able to compensate enough to make it run right. Loosening up the exhaust that much will ALSO throw off the engineering of "What goes in must come out" so there's another fail. The system is optimized as-is from the factory, and only a few select mods will improve performance. Making a TOO MUCH free flowing exhaust has been tried by dozens of forum members in here, and every one was a Fail.
Also again, if you have a desire to run Straight Pipes on a vehicle, please buy and drive a late-eighties Camaro and have fun. Jaguars are NOT ghetto cruisers, and straight pipes would do just that.

The following users liked this post:
MonkeyJosh('09) (06-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

The only cars allowed to drive without cats in the US are certified race cars (formula 1/ NASCAR) and cars built before 1975. All others would be in violation of federal law. So unless you car is owned by a NASCAR racing team and only used on the track, you would be in violation of the law. Cee Jay is right that your car would hate it too. It will throw multiple codes and may go into restricted modes. You can change cats, but can't delete, sorry.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sean W:
Cee Jay (03-29-2020), kj07xk (03-29-2020), Stuart S (03-30-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I guess every state that doesn’t have emissions, ...
Hmmm... Just because you don't have annual emission testing where you live, doesn't make it legal to remove the cats. As Cee Jay said, it's a federal requirement.
Your choice to remove them and run illegally, and you may never be caught/fined for it, but you're not doing us any favors.

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Cee Jay (03-29-2020), Sean W (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:36 PM

The State I live in does not currently have any vehicle emissions tests or smog checkrequirements, but yes y’all are correct, federally it’s no no. That part, i stand corrected on. Though I’ve never seen or heard of anyone getting a ticket or in for no cats. Guess the potential is there in some places regardless. There’s a lot more to worry about today, then cars that emit some extra exhaust fumes. That’s like me getting mad at people for not recycling or secondhand smoke lol.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Cats or no cats are not Jaguar CEL lights always on? I know we are old friends.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Cats or no cats are not Jaguar CEL lights always on? I know we are old friends.
I believe so by design. I'm guessing they thought, "well, they're gonna come on sooner or later so we should just light em up from the get go".

Old 03-30-2020, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Removal of catalytic converters without replacement of a catalytic converter by individuals or automotive servicers is a violation of Section 203(a)(3)(B) of the federal Clean Air Act.

The intent of this law is to protect our air quality and not to reduce noise levels. A catalytic converter is one of the most important pollution control devices on a car. It burns fuel that was not completely used by the engine, which prevents emission of air pollutants.

This law requires vehicles to retain their original manufacturer-certified configuration for emission control equipment. The only exceptions are for racing or vintage display vehicles.

The federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) enforces this law, which has a maximum civil penalty for violation by a dealer or manufacturer of $25,000 and for any other person $2,500.

​​​​​Under Mississippi law, buyers and sellers are subject to harsh penalties for the illegal purchase and sale of catalytic converters for scrap value. https://codes.findlaw.com/ms/title-9...-97-17-71.html

Why shouldn't anyone be surprised? You get one guess - which state wins the prize?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/karsten...e-u-s-in-2018/

Old 03-30-2020, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Forbes won't let me in cuz I have an Ad Blocker. I got the gist though.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:15 PM

The horse is dead. Excessive beating. Removing catalytic converters is the devils work, point has been taken. Time to move forward amicably.

The following 2 users liked this post by EnRoute30:
Cee Jay (03-30-2020), TexasTraveler (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 04:18 PM

Big facts lol!!! I feel like out of almost 3 years of owning my XKR, the CEL has been on 80% of the time. From cats to sensors to whatever else its feeling temperamental about.

Originally Posted by Sean W
I believe so by design. I'm guessing they thought, "well, they're gonna come on sooner or later so we should just light em up from the get go".

Old 03-30-2020, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

The horse is dead. Excessive beating. Removing catalytic converters is the devils work, point has been taken. Time to move forward amicably.
Well maybe not. I guess you never stated your end game and we didn't ask. Are you trying to gain performance or just want to change/ improve the sound? There are other threads here that'll address that. Steve down in Oz has 100 cell cats I believe. Not sure if anyone else has gone that route but a few others have talked 200 cell cats. Let us know what your goal is and maybe we can point you to a thread better suited to your needs.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:25 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Most of us are locked in our homes and getting frustrated so I understand that tempers may be shorter than usual. But let's keep the name-calling down and focus the comments on the question or topic, please. As a side note, something I just ran into, was that while in about 9 months a lot of folks are expecting a ton of babies, as China comes out of this wonderful Pandemic experience divorces are spiking. So maybe a good time to practice anger management?

The following 8 users liked this post by enderle:
Cee Jay (03-30-2020), Don B (03-31-2020), EnRoute30 (03-30-2020), kj07xk (03-30-2020), Norri (03-31-2020), peterv8 (03-30-2020), ralphwg (03-30-2020), Sean W (03-31-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-30-2020, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Well maybe not. I guess you never stated your end game and we didn't ask. Are you trying to gain performance or just want to change/ improve the sound? There are other threads here that'll address that. Steve down in Oz has 100 cell cats I believe. Not sure if anyone else has gone that route but a few others have talked 200 cell cats. Let us know what your goal is and maybe we can point you to a thread better suited to your needs.
Well my original question/thought was, has anyone ran no cats, with an x pipe, and stock mufflers. I was thinking about running that setup and was trying to get some insight, before things got off topic. Due to the fact my cats are clogged pretty bad and throwing a CEL on both banks. I obviously now know that running no cats isn't the best idea, so now I'm thinking high some high flow cats, x pipe, and possibly muffler delete IF the sound with them isn't to my liking with them still on. My goal was to get rid of the CEL, improve sound, and possibly pick up a little performance. The sound and no CEL were main goals though.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Well my original question/thought was, has anyone ran no cats, with an x pipe, and stock mufflers. I was thinking about running that setup and was trying to get some insight, before things got off topic. Due to the fact my cats are clogged pretty bad and throwing a CEL on both banks. I obviously now know that running no cats isn't the best idea, so now I'm thinking high some high flow cats, x pipe, and possibly muffler delete IF the sound with them isn't to my liking with them still on. My goal was to get rid of the CEL, improve sound, and possibly pick up a little performance. The sound and no CEL were main goals though.
100m cell cats tend to throw codes constantly unless tricked, and 200 cell cats code sometimes. Also, I've heard that 100 cells are massively loud, and 200s are pretty close to that.
SO, depending on your 'needs', 200 or more cells would probably be safest. From there, straight pipe it out the back if ya want. It'll probably sound a bit raspy and maybe drone at a certain rpm, but ya won't know until ya try.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:59 AM

100m cell cats tend to throw codes constantly unless tricked, and 200 cell cats code sometimes. Also, I've heard that 100 cells are massively loud, and 200s are pretty close to that.
SO, depending on your 'needs', 200 or more cells would probably be safest. From there, straight pipe it out the back if ya want. It'll probably sound a bit raspy and maybe drone at a certain rpm, but ya won't know until ya try.
Raspy I can deal with, drone"y" I can't. Maybe its just me, but a car with too much drone makes me feel like my heads gonna pop lol. Maybe I'll leave the mufflers on initially, and go from there. If I end up changing it again, I'll do some before/after clips for anyone interested. Just have to wait for everything to start opening back up again due to this crazy virus shutting everywhere down. And thanks for you advice Cee Jay.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

I was going to send you here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-157721/page4/

but I see you were already out there. There are some videos with mufflers deleted and also I think with 100 cats. You'll poly get better answers from the thread to your drone question. Also, I can't find the thread now but there was another thread addressing magna flow and the results of someone buying them which didn't turn out well, so maybe jump back over to that thread link and fire away with questions.

Quick Reply: 5.0 XKR Full Muffler Delete!