XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

5.0L fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts
Default 5.0L fuel pump replacement

Got a sudden Restricted Performance on a drive today (2012 5.0L XK). Throws a P0087 low fuel pressure code. I was able to test the low pressure pump and it's pressure seemed fine plus performance characteristics points to the high pressure side.

I've not eliminated the possibility that it may still be a 'bad gas' issue, since I had just filled up for the drive, as well as any other possibilities though. I threw in a bottle of "heet" in hopes that might be of service but am not holding my breath.

Available dealer service are currently closed for the day so was wondering if there might be a member who might have an idea on what cost should be expected if either/both high pressure fuel pumps need to be replaced?

Alternatively, perhaps some insight on DIY replacement.
Its not a good feeling when our baby is sick.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:54 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Your HPFP is probably going out. Not too expensive to replace at the dealer at around $1200.00 There are two of them.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the response Mufc. I was able to get it into dealer service today for their diagnosis and found it is in fact the HP pumps. Their quoted cost came to $2600 though.
I'm at a disadvantage in that my location is so remote it is hours away from a dealership and no indie shops that can be trusted. So parts are on order and with lock will have it back early next week.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:06 PM
Received 188 Likes on 108 Posts

Shouldn't be going out this early, how many miles on the car?

Has your fuel filter been changed?
Have you been topping up your gas tank to the max? (don't do this)

in JLR SDD theres a HPFP test that can be run to verify.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Its got about 68K on the clock with no symptoms other than the sudden DTC. I'm pretty sure SDD was how they ID'd the failed pumps. I caught a LR training Youtube video on the 5.0L DI that described the high pressure pumps as a significantly weak point on the engine. I don't know if others with 5.0 on the forum have had the same issue though. Cursory searches didn't indicate that but I didn't look in great detail.
I don't max out fueling on the XK.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:31 PM

Mine failed at around 40,000 miles or less. It is a common problem. Mine developed a high rpm misfire but I never had a check engine light come on or any other warning. Mine is also a 2012 car

Old 10-19-2020, 10:57 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm still dealing with my sick cat - 2013 XKR (25K miles). My restricted performance mode happened during a moderate acceleration. Lost a 1/4 tank of fuel on an 8 mile drive home. Absolute pressure problems and the unfortunate problem of fuel flooding my cat convertors and likely a mess of gas in my oil. Like you, no local Jag dealerships so I have located the mechanic that used to work for Terry's Jaguar. He's dropping the exhaust and aerating that, draining the oil to investigate for fuel, and pushing out any leftover gas in the cylinders. We still don't know what is going on for sure but it appears like HP on one side is freaking out, opening all fuel injectors and flooding it with fuel. ARGHHH!! I'll be happy with $2000 or less on this repair. And it may end up 2 hours away at the closest Jag dealer if he can't get this taken car of. Good luck on yours!

Old 10-19-2020, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Okay, now wait a minute............... This seems similar to a Faulty Injector and not a pump. Besides, high pressure pumps rarely go bad.
If one injector goes bad, they usually go bad in the OPEN state, and therefore dump raw fuel down the one cylinder they service. Result: misfire on that cylinder because BooKoo (beaucoup) FUEL.
All the fuel from that High Pressure Rail goes into that one Open Injector, results in the OTHER three injectors Starved for Fuel. Result: misfire on all cylinders, HP pump code.
Although your initial description of your original problem seems a bit off for the normal complaint of Bad Fuel Injector, it could still be construed as such...... Limp Mode, Lots of Gas Smell, Fuel in Oil and Fuel out the Tailpipes.

You may want to double check on this before you commit to replacing a HPFP.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
guy (10-21-2020), MarkyUK (10-21-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Strange...all these posts and no codes pulled?
Plug a basic OBD2 scanner in and pull all the codes your car is throwing.
Diagnose each code. Codes can be contradictory sometimes until you see them all together.
I imagine there is a code book stashed in this forum.

Seems like the Jaguars don’t pop CEL until something terminal happens.

Edit - My bad, there was a code in the OP. Strange that was the only code though. I thought the codes would specify more specifics.

Last edited by StiggyMac; 10-19-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:40 PM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Popbumper
I'm still dealing with my sick cat - 2013 XKR (25K miles). My restricted performance mode happened during a moderate acceleration. Lost a 1/4 tank of fuel on an 8 mile drive home. Absolute pressure problems and the unfortunate problem of fuel flooding my cat convertors and likely a mess of gas in my oil. Like you, no local Jag dealerships so I have located the mechanic that used to work for Terry's Jaguar. He's dropping the exhaust and aerating that, draining the oil to investigate for fuel, and pushing out any leftover gas in the cylinders. We still don't know what is going on for sure but it appears like HP on one side is freaking out, opening all fuel injectors and flooding it with fuel. ARGHHH!! I'll be happy with $2000 or less on this repair. And it may end up 2 hours away at the closest Jag dealer if he can't get this taken car of. Good luck on yours!
Had a similar problem on the Esprit V8TT back in the day, gas pouring down into one of the cats and igniting and shooting a 3ft flame out the back when it was running. After two days and help of former Lotus racing engineers it was a bad plug in one of the cylinders that wasn't firing. Replaced the plug, gapped it to spec and all was well.
Sometimes it can be something basic that causes these things.
Although it was cool having flame out of the exhaust.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Not having codes to troubleshoot, it sounds more like Cee Jay may be closer to defining the actual problem than suspect HPFP. Mine was pretty clear from the P0087 code that it was low fuel pressure. Those pumps are on the expensive side to replace so, if it were me, I'd opt to check out injectors on both banks before committing to a dealer shop expense.
Your correct though that you'd still need to have the cats checked and fresh oil anyway.
From reading some of Cee Jay's and others threads it sounds like injectors might even be DIY possible for you.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

For some info, my bad injector was on the same side that I now have a P0430, which is usually Bad Cat. So, pretty much, I need a new cat on the right side.
Anyone want to give me one? I'll even pay shipping!

Old 10-19-2020, 08:28 PM

The Jaguar dealer diagnosed my HPFP going out. Low fuel pressure. I had no gas smell, no excess fuel consumption. Just a misfire and a code for low fuel pressure. New pumps fixed it and has been trouble free for 14 months.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:49 PM
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,810 Posts

One indication of stuck injector(s) is smoke from the exhaust and loss of power. Quite often DTCs appear for misfires from Bank2 cylinders since there is a differential in fuel pressure between Bank1 and Bank2 due to the fuel lines.

Monitor high pressure fuel system with the Torque app connected to the vehicle PCM via the OBD port with a Bluetooth interface. Fuel pressure should be around 8 Bar.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:58 AM
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts

I had an injector go, which then caused my cat to disintegrate and block my exhaust, which then caused my cylinder 1 piston to detonate and caused a big hole. Fun times!!

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Got the cat back today! Quite a difference in characteristics though I'm attributing most of that to the hard reset that took place in the repair process. (shifts are now spot on again though it no longer struggles under load)

This is write-up: Technician verified concern. Scanned for codes and found low fuel rail pressure codes. Used data logger and found fuel rail pressure 63psi out of 400-500psi. Replaced both hp fuel pumps, cleared pcm adaptions (probable improved shift performance now) and codes. Test drove, viewed data logger and found fuel rail pressure at 435psi. Repairs verified.

The technician confirmed these are a weak point on the 5.0L and that because both HPFP feed both banks of the engine one had probably failed some time ago before and gone unnoticed. He said they replace both because a) it is almost impossible to bench test pumps, and b) the P0087 codes is not really evident until both are failing.

In addition to replacing both HPFP they replaced the HP fuel lines and changed the oil. He indicated the pumps seals fail internally so the possibility of oil contamination is too great, thus the oil change. Since it had been changed within 500 miles they did not need to change the filter.

The total cost came to $2,791 with tax included. (BTW, it got a complimentary wash too. lol)

I don't know if this of any interest to others but if it is I'm sure it would apply to all JLR 5.0L (at least of the vintage of MY12)

Also: I noticed the "sewing machine" sound with the hood open is significantly reduced now as well.

Last edited by pwpacp; 10-21-2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Edit
The following 6 users liked this post by pwpacp:
Cee Jay (10-21-2020), guy (10-21-2020), kj07xk (10-21-2020), NBCat (10-21-2020), ralphwg (10-22-2020), V7Sport (10-21-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-2020, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Hope you got you HPFP's back.

Sounds like a nice little lockdown project to refurb them and sell them on recouping some of your spend?

Also the first time I've ve ever read thst they were a week spot in the 5l engine.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Gave it some thought, then determined I've got too many irons in the fire to add that too. lol

Yeah, the SM indicated they see them from time to time with both Jag & LR. I didn't investigate if there had been any design improvements to hep negate the problem on later models.

It would be great if no one else here would have to go through it but one can only hope.

Maybe this added detail will help close the thread.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (10-22-2020)