XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

5 months and stuck on the side of the road already

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
If there is low coolant...why would one even WANT to idle the car for 5 minutes?? Am I wrong here thinking that this could prolong at least the internal workings causing continued heat buildup? Why wouldnt one just turn the car off?!
If the warning really means what it implies, i.e. the coolant needs a top-up, then idling the car keeps the coolant circulating through the radiator and the block while the engine cools down. Once the car's temperature has dropped, then you can switch off and let it cool down sufficiently to open the filler cap safely.

I have experienced coolant leaks in other cars (not Jags) that caused some overheating - if you just stop the car and don't let it idle, the coolant can boil. it's quite disturbing to hear your engine bubbling like a kettle, and it may mean that localised overheating gets worse. Keeping the car idling will normally avoid that situation, unless you've had a really substantial loss of coolant or a pump failure.

The problem here is, there was no clear indication of a significant loss of coolant. With hindsight, it might have been a good idea to pull over and check for fluids dripping onto the road, but the fact that the warning went away is rather odd. I suspect the car actually wasn't losing much, but the fact that the pump seized meant that nothing was circulating. So the coolant in the radiator got nice & cold while the engine's water jacket got cooked. As I said, a flow sensor in the cooling system would have detected the problem, but there's no such animal on the XK (nor any other car that I know of, to be fair)

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
bklynchris (06-01-2014), tberg (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

An "old school" temporary fix (if you're lucky) when your car overheats is to turn on the heater full blast, maximum temperature and fan speed. The heater is actually a small radiator that will draw off engine heat since engine coolant circulates through it. Might be just enough to enable you to limp home for a proper fix.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
bklynchris (06-01-2014), richzak (06-02-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

If there is low coolant...why would one even WANT to idle the car for 5 minutes?? Am I wrong here thinking that this could prolong at least the internal workings causing continued heat buildup? Why wouldnt one just turn the car off?!

Loth

PS- Im an idiot when it comes to this - iN FACT...I have no idea where to check the coolant at in the XK and nor do I know where an ODB II port is....where is it? And how do I use it? When it comes to this stuff I dont even know what I dont know... only reason I have a car like this is I was lucky enough to have the cash and means with what I do know in life that got me this far to afford such a car.. does not mean I am proficient at it (that why I give more money to dealerships then I probably should!).
We are in the same boat there my friend. Unfortunately, I'm learning or have learned the hard way. I am blessed though, at least the car is under warranty. I'd be pulling what hair I have left out if it were not. Hopefully Jaguar will repair it properly and I'll get back the car I had before this fiasco began.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The real pisser in this is that there is NO information about the 'Coolant Level Low' message in the owner's manual, nor what one should do when it appears, so how the hell is anyone supposed to take the right action?
It seems that they decided to add something from around 2013:

If the message LOW COOLANT LEVEL is displayed in the message centre, stop the vehicle as soon as safety permits and top-up the coolant reservoir with the recommended antifreeze/water mix.

If the message centre displays the message ENGINE OVERHEATING, pull off the carriageway and allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes and then switch off the ignition for 10 minutes. Switch on the engine and, provided that the warning does not occur, continue your journey, avoiding harsh acceleration. Seek qualified assistance as soon as possible.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I have an iPad and iPhone so bought a cheap ELM wireless OBD unit off EBAY recently because iDevices apparently don't support Bluetooth OBD devices. You plug it in to the OBD port under the dash and it powers up and creates a wifi network that also serves DHCP so you can connect any wireless device to it.

I haven't had an extensive play with it but there are dozens and dozens of metrics you can monitor.

Once I had it working with some free software I bought Dash Command through iTunes. It comes with a number of different dashboards pre configured or you can set your own mix of gauges up. There is also a data logger that displays current, min and max readings. The transmission related stuff wasn't working when I took these screen shots because I had to input my diff ratio and gear ratios first before those bits would work.

It does read OBD2 codes as well but I never seem to get any.

The ELM device is a probably a cheap Chinese unit and they are apparently quite slow. I do have more success linking my iPad 4 up to it than my iPhone 4S but the iPad has a bigger screen anyway.

Attached Thumbnails 5 months and stuck on the side of the road already-elm.jpg   5 months and stuck on the side of the road already-obd1.jpg   5 months and stuck on the side of the road already-obd2.jpg   5 months and stuck on the side of the road already-obd3.jpg   5 months and stuck on the side of the road already-obd4.jpg  

5 months and stuck on the side of the road already-obd5.jpg   5 months and stuck on the side of the road already-obd6.jpg   5 months and stuck on the side of the road already-obd7.jpg   5 months and stuck on the side of the road already-obd8.jpg  

Last edited by u102768; 06-01-2014 at 11:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

All of this info is great. Keep it coming and we'll be able to see what various types of SW is available and how to use it. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Now I'll most likely have to buy a smartphone or a tablet. Hey what the hell , enjoy. LOL

bklynchris (06-01-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Is Torque Pro OBD2 software available for a tablet with Windows 8.1 OS?

I have a new tablet that has Windows 8.1 and Bluetooth capable, so the ELM327 Bluetooth device would work. The tablet with Win 8 would be ideal for the ELM327 due to the size for the readouts as it is easier to see than a android smartphone screen.

I just can't seem to find the Torque Pro software other then Android.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Honestly, I don't see what's so great (or advanced) about the Torque app. I think it just happens to be the most popular app of this type. Other apps are probably just as, if not more, effective

Old 06-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Honestly, I don't see what's so great (or advanced) about the Torque app. I think it just happens to be the most popular app of this type. Other apps are probably just as, if not more, effective
I agree and would like to see other APP's that deliver the same type of info. Torque Pro seems to be the most recognized but this thread gives us the opportunity to hear about and explore others. So anyone with info please speak up and maybe when all is said and done the best APP will come to the top.

Lothar52 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
So we are to drive our car, knowing that at some point the water pump is going to fail, then contend with the damage afterwards? That doesn't seem feasible, logical or even customer service friendly.These are supposedly high end cars.....I wouldn't call that high end service. I really doubt if BMW or MB would operate like that.
Actually BMW has a slew of water pump failures a few years back.

bklynchris (06-03-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Took my XKR out for a short drive tonight.. kept thinking about this problem AND looking for a Low Coolant warning...UGH!!!

bklynchris (06-03-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

It drove quite well...best car ever made without a engine temp gauge

bklynchris (06-03-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Took my XKR out for a short drive tonight.. kept thinking about this problem AND looking for a Low Coolant warning...UGH!!!

Just as we should be checking tire pressures every 30 days, I now take a look at my coolant reservoir every time I think of it. Crazy when you think of it for a car close to $90,000 new!

bklynchris (06-03-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Just as we should be checking tire pressures every 30 days, I now take a look at my coolant reservoir every time I think of it. Crazy when you think of it for a car close to $90,000 new!
Just goes to show, the more we read about these few horror stories of forum members the more we worry about potential defaults and faults of our very own cars.

I don't think these cases are epidemic cases but rather rare and few and far between, so just enjoy the ride and the car.

It's easy to get into a state of mind from being here on the forums that these Jaguars are nothing but trouble, but so far my 2009 XKR has been trouble free and I sincerely hope it stays that way. But in the back of my mind, I am like so many thinking that my XKR might just break down someday.

If it does, it does, I will worry about it when the time comes.

I did think about checking the fluid levels today however.

bklynchris (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Every car I've owned has given me trouble, minor or major, at some stage. All complex systems are vulnerable to failure. I try to take sensible precautions, and keep an eye on basic maintenance, but there's no point getting your knickers in a twist about reliability. It only truly becomes a big issue when there are repeated or systemic failures, so that the car can't be trusted to do what it's supposed to do.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ngarara:
bklynchris (06-03-2014), JimC64 (06-03-2014), ralphwg (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Well here's my story for today on gauges. My wife does her meals on wheels deliveries in our near by city. Mind you she is driving her 1989 Volvo 740 which was her 1st new car and it has 345,000 miles on it. So she calls me and tells me she broke down. She said the TEMPERATURE gauge pegged and she shut it down. Well long story short I drove into town and found the nipple on the heater valve broke. It dumped the water thus the over temp. I just put an in line nipple in and filled it with water and drove it 10 miles back home. No harm no foul and the heater valve will be here tomorrow.

bklynchris (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

Well forum, I finally made it home!!! What an ordeal! I'm sure this must have been karma or something. The icing on the cake was the satellite radio going down 30 minutes into the drive home. I called Enterprise and they stated once its off, its off, they won't turn it on. Oh well, good to be home. BTW, the Jaguar service dept. where my car is be worked on stated I should call Jaguar and try to get a refund for my extended hotel stay, etc. They stated they've seen this with Fords and usually the owner will get reimbursed or something. I know you guys said it would be best to keep quiet and get my car fixed. So, should I try to get reimbursed or keep my mouth shut? What do you suggest? Also, service manager said it would be at least 10 days before my car would be ready. Does that sound like a reasonable amount of time to you guys?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Just goes to show, the more we read about these few horror stories of forum members the more we worry about potential defaults and faults of our very own cars.

I don't think these cases are epidemic cases but rather rare and few and far between, so just enjoy the ride and the car.

It's easy to get into a state of mind from being here on the forums that these Jaguars are nothing but trouble, but so far my 2009 XKR has been trouble free and I sincerely hope it stays that way. But in the back of my mind, I am like so many thinking that my XKR might just break down someday.

If it does, it does, I will worry about it when the time comes.

I did think about checking the fluid levels today however.

I absolutely agree!!! Just enjoy the car. As they say, stuff happens. I was having the time of my life with the car up until this incident. And, assuming it gets repaired to its original condition, I'll be having the time of my life again. I may be a little gun shy, sitting on the side of the road for 4 hours will do that to you, but that is not going to stop me from having fun with my car. My next trip is to NY, over 3k miles 1 way....I'm ready! And after driving a Malibu with a 4 cylinder engine, I can't wait to get my car back....I guess I will have a greater appreciation for my car now...after the return trip.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

It drove quite well...best car ever made without a engine temp gauge

AGREED!!!! What a car!!!!

Lothar52 (06-03-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bklynchris
So, should I try to get reimbursed or keep my mouth shut? What do you suggest? Also, service manager said it would be at least 10 days before my car would be ready. Does that sound like a reasonable amount of time to you guys?
I think the "keep quiet" advice was more a warning against going into full "toys out of the pram" mode and demanding a new car or whatever. Politely asking if Jaguar would contribute to your absolutely reasonable accommodation costs (I'm assuming you didn't go 5-star) is worth a try, especially as the service dept. suggested it. As long as you request rather than demand, no-one should take any offence. Even if they only offer you £100 off your next service, better than nuffink.

10 days would be longish over here, but then I'm close to the mothership when it comes to parts. Doesn't sound outlandish for a dealership out in the wilds.

bklynchris (06-04-2014)

Quick Reply: 5 months and stuck on the side of the road already