XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Adaptive cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Adaptive cruise control

When some turkey pulls his car in front of you and is doing a much slower speed, and the adaptive cruise control on my car lets off the throttle and applies the brakes...................do the brake lights come on or not?

I assume the answer is yes, but I don't read that in 'the book' anywhere ...so far.

I'm not touching the brake pedal when the brake is applied, so I wonder a bit about this.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hailers
When some turkey pulls his car in front of you and is doing a much slower speed, and the adaptive cruise control on my car lets off the throttle and applies the brakes...................do the brake lights come on or not?

I assume the answer is yes, but I don't read that in 'the book' anywhere ...so far.

I'm not touching the brake pedal when the brake is applied, so I wonder a bit about this.
Yes, the brake lights come on.

In my owner's manual, page 184, NOTE: "When braking is applied by the ACC, the vehicle brake lamps will be switched on although the brake pedal will not move."

And, btw, I find the ACC to be a royal pita. No offense intended nor implied to my brethren across the pond.

Best,

Last edited by TFlan; 02-02-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Love my ACC

Old 02-03-2013, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up buying new as I couldn't find a pre-loved car with ACC in the colour I wanted!

And yes, the brake lights do come on; I can see the high level one in the spoiler at night.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Love my ACC
Defintely agree. On long expressway drives it is fantastic!!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:38 AM

Thank you. I need to up my reading comprehension skills.

ACC is a love hate relationship with me. I'm very slowly coming around to accepting it. Slowly is the key word.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Love my ACC
Me, too. I use it whenever I can.

It's way too easy to exceed the speed limit in the XKR and often I don't realize how fast I'm going. Using my ACC prevents tickets.

Stuart

Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

This is my first ACC car and it took a leap of faith to trust it at the beginning. It's great when appropriate to use

Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM

I've made a post on adaptive cruise control in the past. My gripe is and was that it drops out on occasion on long drives. When it drops out..........tough. Your stuck with NO cruise control at all and 1000 miles from home. Not a good thing.

My latest episode with it was just last Saturday b/t Ft Worth and Abilene. Sucker dropped out with the warning display and would not reengage after thirty minutes of it being off. In the past if I'd let it stay off for fifteen to thirty minutes, it would then reengage and stay engaged for hundreds of miles.

This time I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off then back on and drove back on I-20 and it engaged right away and stayed engaged the rest of the trip.

Seems I read somewhere that the newer models have the ability to set it in plain Jane cruise control so the sensor in the front of the bumper is no longer a part of cruise control. That would solve my problem 'cause the warning in the display claims the radar sensor is blocked. No it is not blocked. I looked each time.

Yes, I do appreciate it in freeway traffic as long as some sob does not pull accross my front and then decrease his speed which in turn brakes my car. Hate that.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Me, too. I use it whenever I can.

It's way too easy to exceed the speed limit in the XKR and often I don't realize how fast I'm going. Using my ACC prevents tickets.

Stuart
Regular cruise control can do the same thing!

I think the more interesting feature is the automatic speed limiter! Now THAT can prevent tickets--or at least keep the reckless driving charges to a minimum!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

I think the more interesting feature is the automatic speed limiter! Now THAT can prevent tickets--or at least keep the reckless driving charges to a minimum!
I've only used that a handful of times. I have no problem keepin the XK under the speed limit on local roads. This car is just as comfy at slow speeds as it is on the highway.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
It can indeed but I use my cruise control around town and it is nice to no longer have to keep cancelling and resetting it when slower cars are in front. As soon as I leave home I set the ACC to the built up speed limit and use it whenever possible.

The other good feature compared to the normal CC on my old X350 is is that you can set it to a precise speed and you don't have to already be doing that speed to set it.

The only thing I don't like is that it often brakes very sharply when cars in front turn off in front of me as it thinks I am about to ram them so I have learnt to hover my foot over the accelerator just in case.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I've only used that a handful of times. I have no problem keepin the XK under the speed limit on local roads. This car is just as comfy at slow speeds as it is on the highway.
Perhaps the XKR is a little different in this regard!

I don't use this feature myself, but I've had friends drive the XKR and I've had to force them to use the auto-speed limiter because we'd end up going 70 mph on a 30 mph speed limit road!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by u102768

The only thing I don't like is that it often brakes very sharply when cars in front turn off in front of me as it thinks I am about to ram them so I have learnt to hover my foot over the accelerator just in case.
This is exactly the reason that I think the ACC is a pita. I am not a fan of the brakes wearing themselves out sooner than later. Simple CC would be fine with me.

Am also not enthralled with the ASL. Used it once. Sometimes one needs an immediate burst of speed to avoid a potential hazard.

I keep my eye on the speedometer to keep me out of handcuffs.

Last edited by TFlan; 02-04-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Like u102768, I set for traffic speeds and engage.

Personally, people pulling in front of me seldom catches me off guard. I am alert enough in traffic to anticipate most other drivers foolish moves, and simply hover my thumb over the "cancel" button.
If/when it happens, cancel lefts the throttle, allows me to regain a gap, and I simply press "resume". Hardly a pita.

I've never found this process difficult or obtrusive in my driving habits. In fact, if my ACC has to hit the brakes, then I know I was not paying attention in the first place.

One of the other advantages of ACC not yet spoke about here is the collision alert function, which normal cruse control does not have. It has aided me at least once or twice in heavy city traffic (where cruse was off), and offending cars have slammed on their brakes to avoid something. That "beep beep beep" alert is a great second set of eyes that has already proven invaluable.

I do find ASL worthless, but would love to see it enabled via password for valet or <cough> my kid...

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 02-04-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM

Like u102768, I set for traffic speeds and engage.

Personally, people pulling in front of me seldom catches me off guard. I am alert enough in traffic to anticipate most other drivers foolish moves, and simply hover my thumb over the "cancel" button.
If/when it happens, cancel lefts the throttle, allows me to regain a gap, and I simply press "resume". Hardly a pita.

I've never found this process difficult or obtrusive in my driving habits. In fact, if my ACC has to hit the brakes, then I know I was not paying attention.

Vince
"Seldom catches me off guard..."
"If my ACC has to hit the brakes , then I know I was not paying attention." Hmmmm?

I drive 100 mi r/t daily, 90 of it interstate. I too look out for the challenged drivers. Cancel, resume. Cancel, resume. Yup, do that. Would do the same thing with normal CC.

However, what I and u102768 were referring to was the automatic braking which, to me, is a pita. I drive at 15 mph over the speed limit which is usually, not always, given by the locals and state patrols.

When a driver in the left hand lane finally discovers that she has a functioning rear view mirror and moves over a lane and I engage the ACC resume too soon, my brakes slam on. Well, I guess, shame on me.

Not a fan of the ACC.

Best to all,