XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Adaptive Headlight error (Updates)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Headlight error (Updates)

Hey! I've checked a few threads on this glitch. They're all a couple of years old. Maybe someone's dug up something new since then. I've got this annoying Adaptive Headlight error lit up on my panel. Noticed my left headlight's kinda tilting down and to the right. I hear the motor inside the headlight doing its thing, trying to get the swivel mechanism working. Over on the forums, a lot of folks suggested giving the headlight a good smack, and it's all good. Didn't do the trick for me, though. Anybody got some fresh ideas?

Old 12-18-2023, 10:12 AM
Received 604 Likes on 308 Posts

Check for a JLR code, first.They're pretty specific on the system, though I can't remember the code for "give it a good smack". Look in the appropriate maintenance manuals for the code meaning. If you don't have a reader, the Autel AP200 with the JLR software download is a great place to begin. $70 or so on Amazon. It has a headlight test routine in it.

After that, you can partially lift out the headlight with the cable attached, remove the side cover and look inside, while you run the test routine. Three 10mm bolts. If your wiring is cracked and copper is exposed, you found the problem. If not, then you might be able to see whats failing. Check back with more data to discuss what you find.

BTW helps a lot if you describe your car year and mileage.

Last edited by panthera999; 12-18-2023 at 10:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by panthera999:
pilot777 (12-20-2023), steve_k_xk (12-19-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 619 Likes on 393 Posts

Ground lug corrosion on the chassis behind the right wheel and shock can give weird effects with left side light.

The following 3 users liked this post by McJag222:
panthera999 (12-18-2023), steve_k_xk (12-19-2023), V7Sport (12-19-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Turn off car and lock with key fob several times. That usually eliminates the warning flashing light. However, if it doesn't, go out and literally smack the headlights three or four times each, very hard. Then lock the car again. Unlock the car, get in and start the car, and almost guaranteed the flashing warning will be gone and your adaptive mechanism will be back to normal. It happens to my lights once or twice a year and this method has worked every single time.

Old 12-20-2023, 04:56 AM

Thank you for your response! My car is Jaguar XK 4.2, 2007

Old 12-20-2023, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
Turn off car and lock with key fob several times. That usually eliminates the warning flashing light. However, if it doesn't, go out and literally smack the headlights three or four times each, very hard. Then lock the car again. Unlock the car, get in and start the car, and almost guaranteed the flashing warning will be gone and your adaptive mechanism will be back to normal. It happens to my lights once or twice a year and this method has worked every single time.
I've tried several times. Not working for me.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:18 AM

Seriously, smacking a mechanical part to correct a problem increases the possibility of making it worse. Three reasons an X150 light usually fails:

1. A loosened ground connection, located on the frame aft of the light, behind the wheelwell cover. Identified many times. More likely on earlier models.
2. Cracking and flaking of the insulation on the wiring, causing copper to short to other metal. Common on the '07 generation of Hella light pods. Pull the pod and open the round bulb access covers. Look for damaged wiring. Identified many times.
3. On early suspensions, the 4.2 in particular, the self-leveling lights get inputs from two height sensors located on the suspensions. These can fail of themselves, or more likely fail due to work on the nearby suspension pushing the sensors out of place. Also identifed, usually after a replacement of a suspension component in the area. Usually lights the indicator on the dash.

Beyond this, it's always possible that an internal fail is occurring in the stepper motors or mechanics of the light. This is less likely, but these mechanics are aging. To diagnose these, you need a JLR capable OBD reader. Recommend the Autel AP200 for $70 in Amazon, with JLR download. It can read JLR codes from the light control modules, and has a light exercise routine in its "service" offerings. Also, live data from the control module will read a clearly incorrect data reading from the height sensor if it's damaged. Seriously, just buy it if you don't have anything else and it'll pay for itself in the first 10 minutes you use it.

The fist isn't a test instrument. Usually makes things worse, particularly if the pod has wire rot. Almost never a permanent fix.

(and don't forget to check the fuse....)

Good luck.

Last edited by panthera999; 12-20-2023 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by panthera999
Seriously, smacking a mechanical part to correct a problem increases the possibility of making it worse. Three reasons an X150 light usually fails:

1. A loosened ground connection, located on the frame aft of the light, behind the wheelwell cover. Identified many times. More likely on earlier models.
2. Cracking and flaking of the insulation on the wiring, causing copper to short to other metal. Common on the '07 generation of Hella light pods. Pull the pod and open the round bulb access covers. Look for damaged wiring. Identified many times.
3. On early suspensions, the 4.2 in particular, the self-leveling lights get inputs from two height sensors located on the suspensions. These can fail of themselves, or more likely fail due to work on the nearby suspension pushing the sensors out of place. Also identifed, usually after a replacement of a suspension component in the area. Usually lights the indicator on the dash.

Beyond this, it's always possible that an internal fail is occurring in the stepper motors or mechanics of the light. This is less likely, but these mechanics are aging. To diagnose these, you need a JLR capable OBD reader. Recommend the Autel AP200 for $70 in Amazon, with JLR download. It can read JLR codes from the light control modules, and has a light exercise routine in its "service" offerings. Also, live data from the control module will read a clearly incorrect data reading from the height sensor if it's damaged. Seriously, just buy it if you don't have anything else and it'll pay for itself in the first 10 minutes you use it.

The fist isn't a test instrument. Usually makes things worse, particularly if the pod has wire rot. Almost never a permanent fix.

(and don't forget to check the fuse....)

Good luck.
Thanks, man! The best answer!

Old 12-20-2023, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by pilot777
Thanks, man! The best answer!
Glad to help. If your handle is accurate, I had a picture of you smacking the panel a few times because an instrument is reading wrong....Not likely.....

Old 12-20-2023, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Swap the modules that are on the headlight assemblies from one side to the other to see if the aiming fault remains or switches sides along with the module.