XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Adaptive Headlight warning light

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 07:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2010 XKR Convertible

I tried smacking the lights, replacing the headlamps bulbs and still the light is flashing. Also my battery is plugged in with a trickle charger so voltage should be ok. I think my dealer tried a quickfix because when I purchased the car, the auto highbeam didn't work. Also while the headlights align themselves forward pretty well, they do nothing around corners. Any suggestions to get the light off? Also where is the AFS control module? I don't see it near the RH bulkhead.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:12 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

God I love you guys! I tried resetting, my car is almost always on my seat at trickle charger. I went out and beat the hell out of the front lights, OK well, just two good shots on each headlamp, started back up and no warning light. Yes I also have a 2010 XKR. Does that make me number lucky number seven?

At some point in the last 3 years, it already had the headlamp assembly replaced under warranty from the previous owner.

The following users liked this post:
Falkie (10-19-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 01:01 PM
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

My light AFS light has been blinking for months now. I've tried beating each of em, checked wires, pulled headlight out and inspected, everything. Besides it just being super annoying flashing on the dash, the only issue I've noticed with the headlights is one is slightly brighter then the other. Also, besides the flashing dash light, no actual code is being thrown via dtc when I check fault codes.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:18 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 792 Posts

I think I recall a better solution in some thread... something about disassembly, fixing the wire insulation issue, cleaning and lubricating the entire adaptive unit... but I can't find that now. Do you guys remember that one?

Old 10-23-2020, 12:06 AM
Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2010 XKR has had an intermittent AFS warning light for a few years now. Very irritating but I got a bit further with it the other day having bought a specific Jag/Landrover diagnostic tool from Icarsoft. AFS Light came on and the DTC showed up as B1D69 on which there is a technical bulletin ! The bulletin says to change the Headlamp Leveling Control Module, part number C2P23697.I found one of those on www.brit-car.co.uk for £112 plus VAT but haven;t bought it yet as I can't find out how to replace it. The bulletin says that replacement takes 30 minutes and says to refer to TOPIX Workshop Manual section 417-01.

Does anyone have that section 417-01 they could post on here ?

Old 10-23-2020, 03:58 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 792 Posts

I'm sure you know, if the battery is not completely up to snuff, many modules do not power up successfully, when expected... causing the throwing of codes.
But, as you asked...

In the stickies at the top of the forum you will find the download link for the entire workshop manual.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1010XKworkshop.pdf (2.86 MB, 305 views)
Old 10-23-2020, 11:45 PM
Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Guy - that's great and many thanks for posting the manual. Yes...take your point re the battery, but I am sure that is not the case as I had to change the battery only recently. I left the car in the garage for a few months while I was away and, as always, put it on an optimate charger, which usually keeps the battery fit and healthy. This time, for some reason, it stopped maintaining the battery which went completely flat. Tried all the usual tricks to revive it but it was totalled, so I got a new battery. It might not be the AFS module of course, but a poor electrical connection or something like that. The problem is that it is intermittent and has been like that for maybe three or four years. If it would fail permanently that would be more helpful ! If I ever get round to solving it I will make sure to post the solution on here. Thanks again for your help !

Old 10-25-2020, 07:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased the diagnostic tool that connects with my phone, and downloaded the Jaguar software. The code says Motor sensor fault. When I start the car, the light doesn't go up but does the left/right motion. In fact, when driving it seems to do the left/right around corners. But the dang light stays on. I got it to go off once after a battery reset. Once the light made the up motion but then made a grinding sound and won't do that anymore.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:13 AM
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, I am new on this forum and would like to introduce myself first. I live in The Netherlands and for 25 years I am the proud owner of a Jaguar XK 140 DHC. One year ago I bought a Jaguar XK 5.0 Coupe 2011, the grandson of the Jaguar XK 140. I do really love this grandson but experience electronic problems which drives me sometimes crazy. I have also intermittently a flashing AFS warning light coming up and the left headlight pointing downwards. A few slaps on the headlights, locking and unlocking the car (sometimes a few times) has solved the problem for a few weeks/months. Several possible causes have been listed in this thread like: bad wires, faulty headlamp leveling control module, fault somewhere in the AFS headlight asssembly like a bad actuator, and more. It is for me not always clear if attending one of these possible causes also finally resolved the problem. It seemed to me that the way the most of us can solve the problem for the short time (slapping the headlights, lock and unlock the car) points to one common cause for this specific problem. The other thing is what triggers me, if it is an faulty module or a faulty headlamp unit, which specific fault within the module or unit is responsible for the problem. There is a TSB for this problem stating that the AFS controle Module should be replaced. In which way is the replacement module different from its predeccessor so that we can be sure that the problem no longer occurs? Can you drive your car for years in which only a few slaps on the headlights and locking/unlocking the car will solve the problem for a few months before the problem returns? If this is not anymore the case what is the step-by-step plan to tackle this problem and why? I am very curious if there is now more knowledge and information about this peculiar annoying AFS problem. I really do appreciate your input with hopefully new insight in this matter.
Regards, Bram

Old 01-19-2022, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Your issues indicate a failure of one or both modules or possibly the internal wiring as you mentioned. The only fix is going to be to remove the headlights and inspect the wiring for wear or damage. If the wiring if okay, then the AFS modules should be replaced or swapped out at least to test if this solves the problem. The internal wiring in mine looked brand new but exchanging AFS modules showed that one of the two had failed and replacing it solved the AFS problem permanently.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:19 AM

So, in your case a faulty AFS Power Module was the cause of this problem and not the AFS Controle Module? Can you explain why a few slamps on the headlights and lock/unlock the car can solve the problem for some weeks/months? Do you know what the defect inside the AFS power module has caused the problem and has there been upgrades of these modules to prevent these problems?

Old 01-19-2022, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

I reckon like any aging electrics, component failures are more likely to happen than not. Some have discovered heat and age have affected the internal wiring insulation resulting in shorts and others have had servos and gears bind up. Again as these vehicles get older and older, more and more parts will fail, it’s inevitable.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Since my 2010 XK has this problem as well, left (driver) headlight...

Can the AFS module be swapped? What is the part number on that?

I spoke to our local Jag dealer as well as a Jaguar specialized garage, both said you would have to replace the entire headlight in order to get rid of this warning light...

Old 01-19-2022, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

The modules are a separate part and mounted on the side of each headlamp. You can swap from side to side and you can find them on eBay from time to time. The main dealer will only sell the complete assembly because they’re not set up to repair headlights as it’s more reliable to just replace all.

Old 01-22-2022, 05:08 AM

I an still very curieus what the most common cause is for the problem which often can be solved with a few slaps on the headlights and locking/unlocking the car and only will return after some weeks/months. ,Based on the input on this thread during the last few years I will proceed with the following step-by-step plan. Check first the earth, remove the headlight assembly and check the wires, remove and swap the AFS power module. If the problem follows the power module to the other side then I will replace the power module (or can the cause still be a defect AFS control module? If the problem does not follow the swapped power module I have to replace the AFS control module or replace the entire headlight assembly? Thanks for your input.

Regards, Bram

Old 01-22-2022, 07:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fixed my drivers side headlight yesterday, in what would be called a butchers job. Used some epoxy putty to hold the lens mount in place, made sure it was pointing in the right direction. Only cost 5 bucks.

Now i can actually see where im going, without spending 2000 on a new headlight. Only issue is that the warning light will not go away

Old 01-22-2022, 07:47 AM

Have you followed a step-to-step plan to find out the cause of the problem in your case? It wasn't the power module or the control module?

Old 01-22-2022, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Limerick
I an still very curieus what the most common cause is for the problem which often can be solved with a few slaps on the headlights and locking/unlocking the car and only will return after some weeks/months. ,Based on the input on this thread during the last few years I will proceed with the following step-by-step plan. Check first the earth, remove the headlight assembly and check the wires, remove and swap the AFS power module. If the problem follows the power module to the other side then I will replace the power module (or can the cause still be a defect AFS control module? If the problem does not follow the swapped power module I have to replace the AFS control module or replace the entire headlight assembly? Thanks for your input.

Regards, Bram
I'm not convinced the processes you cite really do anything. In my case they did not. Perhaps the shaking moves faulty wires around or a bound up gear. Through extensive trouble shooting, testing, etc, I determined one AFS module was faulty and replaced it with another. FWIW the one which had failed was a newer updated plastic version and the one I replaced it with was the older original metal case AFS design.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sager Alanizi
Fixed my drivers side headlight yesterday, in what would be called a butchers job. Used some epoxy putty to hold the lens mount in place, made sure it was pointing in the right direction. Only cost 5 bucks.

Now i can actually see where im going, without spending 2000 on a new headlight. Only issue is that the warning light will not go away
Or you can simply disable AFS, effectively locking the beams in the correct direction and use the external adjustments on top of the assemblies to correct the beam position.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quick Reply: Adaptive Headlight warning light