XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Adaptive Headlight warning light

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 09:45 AM
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

So, in your case the replacement of a faulty AFS power module for an original metal one did the job?

Old 01-22-2022, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I, like everyone else on this thread, get the warning light every so often. Sometimes I go a year or more without it coming on, sometimes it will go on every day for a week. What is more concerning to me than the annoyance of the amber light flashing in my face, is the fact that more often than not, my headlights will not be pointing straight ahead so that I can see anything at night and this happens without the warning light. Typically, the headlights are pointing up to the left, ligthing up trees or signs up above the car to the left. Eventually, with a couple of hard slaps and locking and unlocking (sometimes several times) it will return to normal. However, with my poor night vision, it's terrifying when I all of a sudeen can't see anything in front of me. It happens more often without a warning than it does with the warning.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

When I have the dreaded Yellow Light, my headlights have already completed the aiming sequence and they still move around corners. i.e. normal operation.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
When I have the dreaded Yellow Light, my headlights have already completed the aiming sequence and they still move around corners. i.e. normal operation.
Same. I've had three headlamps replaced. 2 drivers side and one passenger side. Fixed the issue for a couple years but the light came on again a few weeks ago. Shut the car off and turned it back on and it's gone again. I'm sure it will be back.

Old 01-23-2022, 02:55 AM
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the posts on this thread are not very encouraging for me. It seems that for most of us the replacement of a "faulty" AFS Power Module and/or replacement of the AFS Control Module does not do the job. Even after the replacement of the headlight unit the problem might return. For the time being I will use the trick of slapping the headlights and locking/unlocking the car once every 1-3 months which still works for me, although we have no idea why this works and how and where this trick interferes in the AFS electronic system.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Same as mine. Started coming up occasionally yet AFS remained functional. I never slapped anything or opened or closed doors, the MIL would go away on its own shortly after.

it wasn’t until recently that it completely failed as explained in my thread link posted above. After replacing the module the problem never returned and all is well.

If and when it fails completely then I will disable AFS and have fixed headlamps with manual adjustment. No big deal really. I’d be more concerned about major systems failures as these age more and more.

For those perplexed by intermittent faults, can be many things but understand electronics, as they age, will have component level failures, some may be intermittent some may happen instantly.