XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Advice Needed - Selling My 2007 XKR Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Advice Needed - Selling My 2007 XKR Coupe

I need advice from all you Jag experts here on the forums:
I'm selling my 2007 BRG Jag XKR Coupe. After several months of ownership, I've realized that I'm not getting the use out of it that I thought I would. Have logged less than 1,000 miles in the 7 months since I bought the car. Such a car needs to be driven!! (She is such a beauty: British Racing Green with Caramel interior, 33,500 miles, Adaptive Cruise, 20" Senta wheels, Permium Sound and Luxury Package interior.)
Any advice as to where to advertise the sale? I live in a rather small town in Northern California, (approx. 70,000 pop), so the local paper doesn't have the exposure I think is needed to sell such a unique automobile.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
thanks,
tnt10

Old 09-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I am also in a fairly isolated small town/village in N. CA and understand your issue. I do not expect any potential buyers to make the trip out to my house to look at a car for sale. What I had found is that a dealer will purchase my cars for the printed blue book values as long as the condition of the car is well represented. I have done these straight sells to even Jaguar dealers that did not include a purchase of any of the dealer's vehicles. Dealers do want good used cars and Jaguars are not easy to find.

Albert

Old 09-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Cars.com and Autotrader.com with execellent detailed pictures and complete history of service, accidents, etc... will do a lot to give potential customers a sense of the car in its whole. Find out shipping quotes to a few major cities.

The thing that will sell the car best is the price. Price it right and it's out the door in no time.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I just bought my '07 XK from an owner in a small OR town. In my search I was amazed at how poorly cars are presented in Autotrader or Cars.com. Sellers typically had no knowledge of exactly what options were installed in their car. They had no idea of service history other than the most recent oil change. This applies to dealers as well as private sellers.
A Jaguar is a valuable car that will maintain its core value over the years. A prudent owner will document its history for any buyer. It is not a common car, and should not be presented as such.
Let me give you and example of what I am advocating. Several years ago I traded my high mileage '05 Cadillac CTS-V. It had been conservatively modified with intake and exhaust - modifications that will usually turn off any buyer (most buyers are afraid of any modified auto). I presented the car with not only a full maintenance history but also a 3" thick folder of receipts, notes and test comments. Not only did I get top $$ for the trade, but it was so well presented that the used car manager bought the car for his personal use.
The devil is in the details when selling a car. You are in a position where most of your buyers will reside some distance from you. You need to present your Jaguar with enough information/detail etc. that any buyer will feel confident enough to either buy the car sight unseen or travel to you.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I would suggest craigslist, using a couple of different tags such as BMW, Mercedes, Benz etc. and of course Jag, this will drive more potential buyers of luxury autos to view your FREE ad! Also it might open up new buyers that did not even think of the marque, once they see the beauty of your vehicle.

Don't frget to use photobucket or the sort to add lots of pictures.

Good luck on the sale.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Contact Forum member "IRONY" without delay. He is looking for what you have.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey
I just bought my '07 XK from an owner in a small OR town. In my search I was amazed at how poorly cars are presented in Autotrader or Cars.com. Sellers typically had no knowledge of exactly what options were installed in their car. They had no idea of service history other than the most recent oil change. This applies to dealers as well as private sellers.
A Jaguar is a valuable car that will maintain its core value over the years. A prudent owner will document its history for any buyer. It is not a common car, and should not be presented as such.
Let me give you and example of what I am advocating. Several years ago I traded my high mileage '05 Cadillac CTS-V. It had been conservatively modified with intake and exhaust - modifications that will usually turn off any buyer (most buyers are afraid of any modified auto). I presented the car with not only a full maintenance history but also a 3" thick folder of receipts, notes and test comments. Not only did I get top $$ for the trade, but it was so well presented that the used car manager bought the car for his personal use.
The devil is in the details when selling a car. You are in a position where most of your buyers will reside some distance from you. You need to present your Jaguar with enough information/detail etc. that any buyer will feel confident enough to either buy the car sight unseen or travel to you.
Did the same thing with a 93' Porsche RSA I sold in the spring. I had every receipt for it and did a car "auto"biography. Really helped when I was able to email it to prospective buyers. Sold the car for a very good price in a short period of time. I saw a few others with similar mileage, condition, etc... that are still for sale. As noted, it's all in the details. It's helped with EVERY car i've sold.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I have to agree with everyone above. I sold my 2002 BMW 525i a few weeks ago. I had every receipt from service and receipts for every penny I spent on the car including all from the previous owner. I sold it in three days. The person who purchased it didn't even try to get it cheaper. I had two more come after the sale that afternoon with cash for the same price. It's all in the paperwork and details.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

That only works for older cars. I have a 2012 Ford Mustang for sale with all receipts and maintenance records and nobody could care less!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
That only works for older cars. I have a 2012 Ford Mustang for sale with all receipts and maintenance records and nobody could care less!
Makes sense. If it's a 2012, beyond mod's(which value return $.10 on the dollar it seems), there is no history.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 PM

I have all the service records from the day of purchase, including all services, new tires, brakes, even the correcting of damaged wheels - (those 20" Sentas can be a pain) - which was covered under the extended warranty.
Actually, after giving the car a a thorough cleaning and detailing, I'm thinking I must be crazy to sell it! Stunning, and no maintenence issues whatsover, a roll of the dice with some of these Jags.
I've decided to keep it!!
Pics attached for your perusal......
TnT
Advice Needed - Selling My 2007 XKR Coupe-p1010557.jpg

Advice Needed - Selling My 2007 XKR Coupe-p1010561.jpg

Advice Needed - Selling My 2007 XKR Coupe-p1010562.jpg

Advice Needed - Selling My 2007 XKR Coupe-p1010567.jpg

Last edited by tnt10; 10-07-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Keep it until I'm ready to buy it.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

PM

-e

Old 11-21-2012, 04:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

tnt10, do you still have your XKR, and are you still planning on selling it?

I'll be moving to Northern California next week, and am looking for a 2007 XKR. I'd much rather buy from a passionate owner than a heartless garage...

I'm a longtime lurker on this forum, and this would be my first Jag. Can't wait!

Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Do you have a selling price in mind for you XKR?

Old 11-22-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by sheytan
tnt10, do you still have your XKR, and are you still planning on selling it?

I'll be moving to Northern California next week, and am looking for a 2007 XKR. I'd much rather buy from a passionate owner than a heartless garage...

I'm a longtime lurker on this forum, and this would be my first Jag. Can't wait!
Yes, I am still planning, (reluctantly), to sell my XKR.
Please email me if you would like to discuss this further, since I'm unable to PM you yet. tntkp@comcast.net

Thanks,
Tim