XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Advice please on leaving OBD2 reader permanently installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019 | 11:32 AM
|
Default Advice please on leaving OBD2 reader permanently installed

I recently bought an OBD2 reader for my XKR. I am loving the additional info it offers me (eg coolant temperature) but I am wondering if it is a good idea or a bad idea to leave the gizmo permanently in the OBD port? I am not so much worried about it flattening the battery as I always use a CTEK charger when the car is in the garage - but are there any other side-effects or negative consequences of leaving the OBD2 reader attached all the time? It would be good to hear from other members who have any experience of these devices. Thanks in advance...

Old 11-26-2019 | 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

I have had one plugged in my XKR for 2 years and never had any issue...

The following users liked this post:
barnsie (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019 | 01:22 PM
|

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
I have had one plugged in my XKR for 2 years and never had any issue...
Excellent TT - thanks! Just what I wanted to hear.

Old 11-26-2019 | 01:41 PM

7 months for me...no issues.

barnsie (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019 | 02:09 PM
|
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by arenaej
7 months for me...no issues.
Thanks!

Last edited by barnsie; 11-26-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2019 | 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by barnsie
but are there any other side-effects or negative consequences of leaving the OBD2 reader attached all the time? It would be good to hear from other members who have any experience of these devices.
It depends on the quality of the ODB2 device. My '07 XKR stalled a number of times and I eventually realised that it coincided with when I had the ODB2 dongle plugged in.

The last time it stalled I had to disconnect the battery to bring the car back to life because it was totally dead which was a bit embarrassing because I was stopped at the traffic lights on a three lane, one way street and I was in the middle lane!

I have not had the same issues with my replacement dongle.

Old 11-26-2019 | 05:21 PM
GGG

The Diagnostic Port is permanently LIVE. If the vehicle is used regularly or kept on a battery tender this isn't a problem. If you leave it in a car park for three weeks it's likely not to start when you get back. I haven't done that again!

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
barnsie (11-27-2019), Queen and Country (11-27-2019), Stuart S (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019 | 05:43 PM

I use OBDLink MX+...works with apple or android and shuts down when you leave the car and disconnect.

The following 2 users liked this post by arenaej:
barnsie (11-27-2019), Sean W (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019 | 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks arenaej. I've had a couple that I've used and they tripped my TPMS faults. Pulled them, faults disappeared. Put them back in, TPMS errors. The wifi version I had seemed to solve it but was always connecting to my home wifi which was a PIA so I disabled TPMS. I'll look into yours.

Old 11-26-2019 | 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Not giving any reviews or saying if this one is good or bad, but it’s the one I bought and has worked for me without any issues...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073XKQQQW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073XKQQQW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Old 11-26-2019 | 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

I do think the product has a lot to do with it. How the line in the sand is drawn between good vs bad is vague, so I'd fall back to ones folks say work fine.... Mine didnt....
Myself and at least one other have had the bluetooth dongle crash the computer.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-kitty-126282/

I know mine was pretty cheap, but once I pulled it I remained problem free, and only use it for temporary diagnostics now.

BOL

Sean W (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019 | 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

I left my inexpensive OBDII Bluetooth dongle plugged into my 2013 XJ and the next day when I started it my dashboard warning lights went bonkers. The car ran fine so I immediately drove to my Jaguar dealer and my service adviser told me to never leave it plugged in. I cleared all the codes and it never happened again.

Old 11-27-2019 | 05:16 AM
|

Originally Posted by u102768
It depends on the quality of the ODB2 device. My '07 XKR stalled a number of times and I eventually realised that it coincided with when I had the ODB2 dongle plugged in.

The last time it stalled I had to disconnect the battery to bring the car back to life because it was totally dead which was a bit embarrassing because I was stopped at the traffic lights on a three lane, one way street and I was in the middle lane!

I have not had the same issues with my replacement dongle.
Thanks. I am using the BAFX dongle which was recommended to me on the forum.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I assume this dongle is of sufficient quality?

Last edited by barnsie; 11-27-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2019 | 05:19 AM
|

Originally Posted by GGG
The Diagnostic Port is permanently LIVE. If the vehicle is used regularly or kept on a battery tender this isn't a problem. If you leave it in a car park for three weeks it's likely not to start when you get back. I haven't done that again!

Graham
Thanks Graham. I am using my BAFX dongle with a switched extension lead (just to make it easier to plug in and remove initially - but the switch allows me to leave the dongle in the port but to 'switch it off' when I am not using the car).

This is the extension I bought:

Amazon Amazon

Best, Keith

GGG (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019 | 05:34 AM
|

Just for clarity, I am not experiencing any issues with the BAFX dongle - just wanted to be sure it was OK to leave it permanently connected (power drain aside which isn't an issue for me). Seems to be variable experiences, based on the different types of dongle used. There is an amazing difference in price between the various options, which presumably is reflected in quality differences somehow? I have seen them advertised for as little as 5 dollars up to the (approx) 25 dollars I paid for mine. I chose the BAFX because other members had recommended it and because I ***-u-me that the higher price says something about the quality of the unit (not always the case, I know).

The only downside, so far, with the BAFX unit is its size. It's almost 3 inches long which means it sticks out quite a long way when it's plugged into the OBD port. I got around this with an extension cable (see earlier post) and can tuck it away somewhere less obtrusive now.

Old 11-27-2019 | 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

I have been using a Scan Gauge OBDII reader for the last several years. It is a code reader as well as the ability to read various functions of the car. I use it to do a live read of both Water temperature and battery voltage. It is a corded system so it is plugged in at all times. It also turns off after the car is locked so no battery drain. It has never triggered any codes and it serves it purpose for me.

Queen and Country (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019 | 07:13 AM
|

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I have been using a Scan Gauge OBDII reader for the last several years. It is a code reader as well as the ability to read various functions of the car. I use it to do a live read of both Water temperature and battery voltage. It is a corded system so it is plugged in at all times. It also turns off after the car is locked so no battery drain. It has never triggered any codes and it serves it purpose for me.
It is mainly coolant temperature and battery voltage that I want to monitor too (although I do prefer a large digital speed readout as well which is something I can do with the Torque Pro app and the BAFX). I never understand why Jaguar failed to give us these coolant and voltage gauges, especially the former. With a a proper gauge you can keep your eye on coolant temperature and spot in advance any signs of irregularity or overheating. It's all very well having messages come up on a screen, but unfortunately, the sequence is probably "Engine temperature critical" followed a few seconds later by "Engine destroyed". Not very helpful. Even my humble 2006 X-Type 'shopping car' has a temperature gauge!

Old 11-27-2019 | 08:24 AM

I use a Scan Gauge and it has been plugged in for two years, I do not own a CTek or any other type of charger.and leave this car unused for months. I never had an issue with non starting or any codes that are related to the Scan Gauge. Battery is a Varta with a date code of Jan 2016.

Old 11-27-2019 | 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by barnsie
Thanks. I am using the BAFX dongle .........
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I assume this dongle is of sufficient quality?
So I click on the link thinking I have to see what reliable odb the guys are using these days that last 2 years, since I dont seem to be having such luck.....
To my surprise, see screenshot below.

Old 11-27-2019 | 01:29 PM
|

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
So I click on the link thinking I have to see what reliable odb the guys are using these days that last 2 years, since I dont seem to be having such luck.....
To my surprise, see screenshot below.

Is that device not working well for you then? I *seem* to be having no issues (at the moment)....

Quick Reply: Advice please on leaving OBD2 reader permanently installed