XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Advice please on leaving OBD2 reader permanently installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019 | 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

1 out of 2 is I think, but never needed to use it again as a forum member gave me the perfect device.
It displays temp and voltage, and it has a auto power off chip.

For code reading there is better stuff anyway, much more detailed.

Not in a position to search at the moment but will post links if there is any interest.

Old 11-27-2019 | 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
So I click on the link thinking I have to see what reliable odb the guys are using these days that last 2 years, since I dont seem to be having such luck.....
To my surprise, see screenshot below.
This was one of the models I had also that messed with my TPMS.

Barnsie, bottom line is that if you're not experiencing any problems, go with what you have. looks like there's a mixed bag of results. Mine were in use for awhile before I started having problems but pulling it out, resolves it so don't sweat it imo.

The following users liked this post:
barnsie (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019 | 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
1 out of 2 is I think, but never needed to use it again as a forum member gave me the perfect device.
It displays temp and voltage, and it has a auto power off chip.

For code reading there is better stuff anyway, much more detailed.

Not in a position to search at the moment but will post links if there is any interest.
Yes please

barnsie (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019 | 02:28 PM
|

Originally Posted by Sean W
This was one of the models I had also that messed with my TPMS.

Barnsie, bottom line is that if you're not experiencing any problems, go with what you have. looks like there's a mixed bag of results. Mine were in use for awhile before I started having problems but pulling it out, resolves it so don't sweat it imo.
Thanks, My car doesn't have TPMS anyway so at least it can;t mess with that

If I get any issues with the BAFX, I'll post them here.

Old 11-27-2019 | 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Sean W (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019 | 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by barnsie
Thanks, My car doesn't have TPMS anyway so at least it can;t mess with that
What? It has been law over here for some time! I guess I just figured since all cars sold in the US have them, that manufacturers would just make it standard across the board?
We don't have laws about rear fog lights, but we have them thanks to the UK! (Sadly, idiot Americans are clueless, and abuse the use of them too! grrrrrr)

Old 11-27-2019 | 06:36 PM
|

Originally Posted by CleverName
What? It has been law over here for some time! I guess I just figured since all cars sold in the US have them, that manufacturers would just make it standard across the board?
We don't have laws about rear fog lights, but we have them thanks to the UK! (Sadly, idiot Americans are clueless, and abuse the use of them too! grrrrrr)
AFAIK it isn't a legal requirement in the UK. In fact, it can't be because my late model truck doesn't have it. But yeah, you'd think it would be easier to standardise across a global market. Then again, I guess moving the steering wheel to the wrong side <g> isn't a trivial task either

It's not just Americans who abuse rear fog lights. It's one of my pet hates here. At the first sign of the lightest mist, on they go. Even though you can see for 300 yards, on they go, blinding anyone behind. And then, when the mist clears, they forget to turn them off, so you're blinded again but this time without even a hint of a good reason.

Back to TPMS, my 2013 XF had it and I wished it hadn't. Seemed that if the pressure dropped by just one pound, the darn light would come on. Sometimes it would come on anyway even though the pressures checked out OK. The TPMS in my wife's Range Rover is similar. So in my 2008 MY XKR I'm kinda not really missing TPMS to be frank.

Old 11-28-2019 | 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

TPMS is required in the UK (and EU) for cars from a date (2012 I think) but bear in mind that will tend to mean when a model is introduced.

Also, may well be another date for a truck.

Sadly some makers fit poor versions, giving TPMS a bad name when it's the car maker which ought to get the bad name!

Old 11-28-2019 | 04:56 AM
|

Originally Posted by JagV8
TPMS is required in the UK (and EU) for cars from a date (2012 I think) but bear in mind that will tend to mean when a model is introduced.

Also, may well be another date for a truck.

Sadly some makers fit poor versions, giving TPMS a bad name when it's the car maker which ought to get the bad name!
That is interesting. I have had various brand new cars since 2012 and only one had TPMS (the XF). I suspect you are right and that the law only forces manufacturers to install it on brand new models launched after 2012. A;ll of the versions I have experience of have been poor versions, so it isn't something I worry about not having. It's not exactly difficult to check tyre pressures!

My truck is the Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian (love that name) so although mine was new in 2018, the model has been around for years, so maybe that is why TPMS is absent (even on my top of the range model they didn't offer it even as an option).

Old 11-28-2019 | 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

I gather it's partly/mainly been mandated because MOST people never check tyre pressures leading to blow outs etc.

Sorry for being very off-topic!

Old 11-28-2019 | 06:47 AM
|

I gather it's partly/mainly been mandated because MOST people never check tyre pressures leading to blow outs etc.
Well, legislators have to keep poking their noses into our lives, or what else would they do all day!

JagV8 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019 | 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by barnsie
Well, legislators have to keep poking their noses into our lives, or what else would they do all day!
A little more on this thread hijack - TPMS was actually first adopted in European luxury cars. Here in the US it was mandated in part because of what's known as the Firestone/ Ford tire controversy. The problem caused several hundred deaths. Seat belts save lives, safety glass, air bags, Child safety seats, crumple zones etc. The list goes on - all government mandates. Not all government work is bad. Much of it is, but in this case, I'm with the safety nuts:-)

Anyway, interesting read here on TPMS mandate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-p...itoring_system

Old 11-28-2019 | 11:27 AM
|

Originally Posted by Sean W
A little more on this thread hijack - TPMS was actually first adopted in European luxury cars. Here in the US it was mandated in part because of what's known as the Firestone/ Ford tire controversy. The problem caused several hundred deaths. Seat belts save lives, safety glass, air bags, Child safety seats, crumple zones etc. The list goes on - all government mandates. Not all government work is bad. Much of it is, but in this case, I'm with the safety nuts:-)

Anyway, interesting read here on TPMS mandate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-p...itoring_system
All fair points. But nevertheless, all state interference in our lives. There is also the privacy issue as TPMS systems emit unique signals which can be picked up by roadside monitors. Thanks for the link - interesting as you say.

Last edited by barnsie; 11-28-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2019 | 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Some TPMS over here do not emit signals.

The ABS module can tell a tyre has lost pressure by counting wheel revs.

Old 11-28-2019 | 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Some TPMS over here do not emit signals.
The ABS module can tell a tyre has lost pressure by counting wheel revs.
Interesting, but I'm not sure just how that would work. The tires footprint might be barely larger, but the tire itself isn't sliding physically against the roadway. It remains planted where it came in contact, just like the other 3.
Seems weird to me....

Old 11-28-2019 | 03:43 PM
Sponsor
Old 11-28-2019 | 03:44 PM
Sponsor

2 years using the cheapest Bluetooth adapter on Amazon "Foseal". $10 Don't think I have encountered any issues related to it, and refresh rate seems to be fast.

2013 XJ 5.0 SC (Alpha Jag ECU, TCU tune, crank pulley), 600+ HP, 11.6 sec 1/4th mi 122mph, 7.6sec 1/8th mi
barnsie (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019 | 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting, but I'm not sure just how that would work. The tires footprint might be barely larger, but the tire itself isn't sliding physically against the roadway. It remains planted where it came in contact, just like the other 3.
Seems weird to me....
Well, that’s what my wife’s 2016 Mazda3 uses. When I went to buy a winter set of wheels and tires on TireRack.com, I couldn’t find TPMS for them to have them pre-installed by TireRack when they mounted the tires before shipping to me. Did some research, and was surprised that they use the ABS system to detect rotational speed differences between the wheels and an expected value for correct tire pressure (just in case all tires are equally low). You can reset the expected value if you change overall tire rotational distance. So no TPMS senders or sensors on her car, and it apparently satisfies the government watchdogs.

CleverName (11-30-2019)
Old 11-29-2019 | 01:51 AM
Veteran Member

Seems weird to me....
Weird it may be but is used by VAG (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat, ...).

CleverName (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019 | 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Seems weird to me....
When a tire is under inflated, the distance from the car axle to the ground is less than that of the fully inflated tires.
That shorter radius means that that wheel needs to rotate faster than the others, and the ABS system detects it.

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
CleverName (11-29-2019), Queen and Country (11-29-2019)

Quick Reply: Advice please on leaving OBD2 reader permanently installed