XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

AFS Lights and SDD

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 08:04 PM
Received 594 Likes on 304 Posts
Default AFS Lights and SDD

So, I was running various routines with SDD on my '07 XK base.

Ran lighting calibration on my AFS (Autoleveling System) lights, which had been focusing a bit high.

The routine ran fine for the first part, where it resets adaptions. The second part is a solid fail with "unable to connect to ECU", and the AFS failure light blinks on the dash.

Able to pull a u3000-54 code from the AFS controller, below. The code does not reset.

Between this, and SSD being able to detect the controller, I'm assuming the controller works but SSD cannot load the calibration software to it.

I read in another post where a user ran the calibration routine and experienced the same failure.

SO, before I start checking connections and pulling fuses: Has anyone experienced this specific controller failure when re-calibrating the lights with SSD? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks very much!

Panthera

Old 11-18-2021, 04:26 PM

So, sharing further research into the above, but also including SDD (mine is British Diagnostics v130).

As you know, SDD does some unique things, but overall as an app it's pretty obsolete, slow and ugly.

I just bought an Autel HT200 ($59, with one car type included) and have been testing it over the past few days. Downloaded the Jag app, and it does a lot of what SDD does, and what it does is generally better. Modern interface, decent graphics, more effective code reading and clearing. Also some of the same service tools that SDD has. They're broad enough that I've included a screenshot at the bottom.

This one will be my replacement for SDD except for the unique stuff SDD does. By the way, the HT200 finds a lot of intermittent codes SDD misses.

The routine one I'm using right now is he AFS light configuration and testing.

The HT00 AFS operates just like the SDD version: clears adaptions,and executes an alignment routine on the adjustable headlights. Interestingly, my HT200 lights routine failed exactly the same as the SDD did, described above. This helps, because it tells me that the problem is in the car rather than the tester (HT200 or SDD).

Next step is to dig into the lighting system and look for a failure.

Here are the resident service functions in HT200.

Last edited by panthera999; 11-19-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:48 AM

Ok, more research using info from others' AFS failures, on the Code U3000-54 from the controller (height sensors not calibrated). Note this is the only code. By the way, if it isn't obvious already, I hate throwing parts at a problem, so I dig at it until I figure I've got the culprit.

Is SDD Bad? Likely not, since both SDD and NT200 can clear AFS controller adaptions but fail at the same point of executing the controller calibration routine.

Is it the lights themselves? Probably not. Lights work fine, and except for movement, do what they do. Also no codes from the lights, only the single code from the AFS lights controller at the base of the A pillar ("not calibrated"). Note that in all light failures I've researched, lamp module codes are generated. Also, the bang on the lights thing does nothing. The lock-to-lock idea changes nothing. The car reset changes nothing.

How about the high speed can bus to the AFS Controller? The can bus works, since I can read all the serial number and code level data in the AFS controller. All other controllers attached to the CAN bus can be detected and operate normally.

Fuse F28 to the AFS Controller? Fine.

Next step: Reseat the controller module connections at the base of the A-pillar. Has anyone done this? The manual says to pull the blower and the subwoofer. Correct, or is there an easier way? After that, a new controller module.

Thanks!

Last edited by panthera999; 11-19-2021 at 11:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by panthera999:
Chatstar123 (11-19-2021), guy (04-22-2022)
Old 11-19-2021, 01:45 PM
Received 228 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by panthera999
Next step: Reseat the controller module connections at the base of the A-pillar. Has anyone done this? The manual says to pull the blower and the subwoofer. Correct, or is there an easier way? After that, a new controller module.

Thanks!
Yes, done this (changed a module). I would recommend taking off a plastic cover on an A-pillar and just bend a little bit a floor carpet. Not by the book, but worked well for me. I'm talking about car with a steering wheel on the left side (non-UK).

Really curious about an outcome. Struggling with relearning/recalibrating a module in my car after a post-facelift AFS lights swap (originally - had AFS, pre-facelift).

The following users liked this post:
panthera999 (12-02-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 02:43 AM

Any updates? Curious about a result!

Old 11-29-2021, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

expecting the British Diagnostics cable to work correctly is very wishful thinking

The following 2 users liked this post by xalty:
Cee Jay (11-29-2021), panthera999 (12-10-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by tmich
Any updates? Curious about a result!
tmich, I'm still in process. I found the unit by removing the a-pillar plastic and pulling back the carpet. Much easier than the manual.

Challenge is that there's very strong footplate an inch in front of the unit, and it's a bitch to get the left hand screw.

I'll try again in a day or so to swap in a new unit.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:49 PM

More data. I ordered a used controller for $30, listed on Ebay for the '07 XK, but found that it's for the X100 and the connector is different between the two. The same PN, but the X150's suffix is -BE instead of -AB. Weird that they'd use nearly the same PN with a completely different connector. Because the PN's are so similar, I've found a lot of X100 AFS controllers listed on breakers and ebay for x150 sale. Actual X150's are hard to find.

Well, as I've said before, I hate throwing parts at a problem. Particularly since the controller still works, and isn't bricked. But it wont load the specific AFS calibration software from SDD, and no load means no light adjustments. So, I feel like it could be a bad file in SDD. The code persists as shown above. In a shop, they'd toss in a module to check it, and put it back in stock if it doesn't fix it.

But I've got no way to further diagnose the problem between SDD or the module...so module it is. I can get a used one for $100 or so from the Netherlands. Off I go with my credit card...

No urgency except an annoying blinking light. The default position of the lights is just fine to drive with.

Anyone have an idea I've missed, let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by panthera999; 12-01-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:29 PM

Two thoughts, as I was there already. Used module will not work (vin will not match). I have one or two to share...

You need to have a new one to be able to save/learn your vin. And... I don't think anyone will accept a return, as it will be already blocked to your car (as per first paragraph).

And yes - plugs are different for x150 07-11 and 12+ (due to lin cables in a new harness). I have them modified... and still not able to pass through the calibration process.

panthera999 (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 06:01 AM

Two thoughts, as I was there already. Used module will not work (vin will not match). I have one or two to share...

You need to have a new one to be able to save/learn your vin. And... I don't think anyone will accept a return, as it will be already blocked to your car (as per first paragraph).

And yes - plugs are different for x150 07-11 and 12+ (due to lin cables in a new harness). I have them modified... and still not able to pass through the calibration process.
Thanks, good info. Did a new unit load and run the SDD calibration files when you installed it, or simply work out of the box without having to use SDD?

Old 12-02-2021, 06:34 AM

SDD procedure needed to (a) save vin, (b) do calibration. First part passed without any hassle, second - cannot go through it...

That's why I follow your topic with such interest

Old 12-02-2021, 06:27 PM

Well, now that I figured out how to get SDD to sense a new module and reprogram it, I guess I'll bite the bullet (or credit card...) and get a new one.

Of course, with my luck it'll sense and reprogram on the first routine, and blow up the module on the recalibration file.... ;->

Last edited by panthera999; 12-02-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:58 AM

SDD procedure needed to (a) save vin, (b) do calibration. First part passed without any hassle, second - cannot go through it...

That's why I follow your topic with such interest
Guy in the UK offered the thought that maybe a later level of SDD is needed for this part of the tool. What level did you use to attempt a program?

BTW, I also went to the engineering mode in IDS (the routine within the V130 SDD) to recalibrate. No joy. Possible that IDS engineering mode is simply executing the same file that SDD is in this case.

Oh, and I noticed that the first part of the routine that clears adaptions does command the lights to up/down and left/right, so communications is doing fine -- just the calibration file doesn't load.

Last edited by panthera999; 12-10-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:37 AM

Dont know frankly the version. But tried via SDD and via Autel. Both no luck (lamps are moving the lens, but config cannot be stored).

Old 01-03-2022, 03:50 PM
Default FIXED! Here's the story

So this started a couple of months ago. Ran a calibration routine to the AFS system for the first time. and up popped the $%^@#ing yellow flashing headlight icon on the dash.

Weirdly, the only code was indicating that there was a communication failure with the AFS module, BUT no other codes AND I could communicate with the AFS module to read the code, the resident VIN, the software release level and so on. So it seemed to be fine, but no calibration load. Lots of puzzling and tail chasing ensued.

Recently I was reading the live data on the AFS module for the 20th time, showing the live readings from the two suspension position sensors (my '07 base has only two) : 40% of something (probably a deflection reading) in the rear unit, and 85% of something in the front. Dig through the service manual, and I see the normal range for these sensors is 40-60%. So I pull the right front wheel and stare at the sensor. Suddenly I realize the sensor arms are in a position where they would never be able to read a deflection from the suspension. I unbolt it, reposition the deflection arm, reassemble and damn if it doesn't start working when I reload the AFS configuration file.

So whose fault is it? Mine. I replaced the upper wishbone arms on the front back in February. That a bitch of a job, and while shoving suspension components around (because Jag engineers fiendishly placed a couple of bolts in places they can't be reached), I deflected the sensor arm to a backwards position.

Why did it take 8 months to fail, with no codes in between? Well, my guess is as far as the AFS knew, everything was working electrically. One was just operating out of spec (85% instead of 40-60% or so.) It wasn't until I loaded the configuration file from SDD that the module noticed that the data it was getting from the sensors wouldn't allow the calibration routine to work. Blink, blink, blink....

So, if you're cursed by the endless blinking light on the dash, check the sensor data from the AFS module. If it's other than 40-60%, the height sensor may be deflected or failed. Good news is, since I hate to throw parts at a fix, I didn't replace the AFS module for $250. In fact, the cost of the fix was my labor....

Note that the deflection data (?) was readable via SDD and my Autel HT200.

Hope this helps others with the problem.

Panthera

Last edited by panthera999; 01-03-2022 at 03:53 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by panthera999:
007XKR (01-06-2022), guy (04-22-2022), kj07xk (01-04-2022), tmich (01-03-2022), V7Sport (04-22-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 03:54 PM

Much appreciated! Just to confirm - once you sorted out a sensor (to be within 40-60% range) you successfully go through an entire procedure and loaded a config? Correct?

Old 01-03-2022, 04:49 PM

Much appreciated! Just to confirm - once you sorted out a sensor (to be within 40-60% range) you successfully go through an entire procedure and loaded a config? Correct?
That's right. SDD and my HT200 have very similar forms of a reset and config routine.

The first part "clears all adaptions". The headlight does a basic dance. The second part loads a configuration routine of some kind. The headlights do a more complicated dance.

If the second part doesn't succeed, the damn yellow blinking light appears.

Both SDD and the HT200 allow reading of realtime AFS data that shows the deflection (?? not sure if that's really what is being measured) of the suspension arm the sensor is clipped to, which the manual says should be 40-60%

My bent sensor showed a out-of-range value of 85%, and posted no code except that the AFS "couldn't communicate" when it failed loading the calibration file. I assume a broken sensor would show zero, and probably post a more typical code.

Again, this is on a 4.2 model. The 5.0 sensors (four of them??) do a lot more complex things.

Panthera

Last edited by panthera999; 01-03-2022 at 04:51 PM.
tmich (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 05:08 PM

Thanks for sharing. It will be definitely checked in my car.

TBKIII (01-03-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 03:19 PM
Received 116 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the tip on the Autel HT200, I'm going to pick one up. These are the headlight errors my mechanic found, I'm going to end up re-wiring my headlights and want to be able to diagnose as I go vs. rewiring and praying to the Jaguar Electronics Gods when I plug stuff back in.

Old 04-21-2022, 03:38 PM

Take your time and do one wire to completion. Use heat-resistant wire.

I rebuilt my Hella pods on one of the BMW's. Found it worthwhile to snip off the connector, leaving a half inch to solder on to the replacement wire. That way you often don't have to tear down connector/plug assemblies.

Shrink wrap can go on first, and be slid down over the solder joint, and the half inch to the connector if the insulations is gone on it, when cool. Then heat to shrink, and hook up the connector. That way you don't have to source new connectors.

Hard job, but considering the price of Hella pods, it's worth the time.

There are owners who've done this on this forum. Careful heating the unit to remove the lens.

Last edited by panthera999; 04-21-2022 at 03:40 PM.
BagelConsultant (04-21-2022)

Quick Reply: AFS Lights and SDD