XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

All this talk of pulley swaps and ECU tuning raises obvious question: lost warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011 | 01:03 AM
|
Default All this talk of pulley swaps and ECU tuning raises obvious question: lost warranty?

I'm I correct to assume that any of this monkey business will invalidate the factory warranty in a heart-beat? A tech would spot the non-stock pulley and belt, maybe even get into the code to confirm changes to shift points and fuel mapping, and so on and bounce you from the program. Seems like a high price to pay.

Were it possible to re-flash the computer to stock configuration and replace the stock pulley and belt before servicing, I guess it might be possible to consider if you were really crazy for more.

What's the word on Jag's treatment of those who mod? Severe? Permissive? Depends on local dealer?

Dying to know.

Skeeter

Old 12-05-2011 | 11:23 AM

I know of NO manufacturer that will continue to warranty any aftermarket motor work UNLESS it's done via a MFG program. But even then... it's a more limited warranty. Think Calloway for Chevy, etc.

One has to pay to play for more HP. This very thing was one of the reasons I opted for a 5.0L XKR vs an 07/08 Aston Martin Vantage. Huge power difference. And it's stock. Plus... the Jag's look better topless! (oh, ok -- and with the top up too)

Old 12-06-2011 | 11:12 PM
|

Rahtok,

I have more experience in this arena than most. And certainly more than I should, given the 'no fun' status of what goes down when things go bad...

That said, I've found many manufacturers turn a blind eye to all but the most extreme modifications. And some dealers will ignore even those! I had a great thing going with Mercedes. Used to drive an E55AMG Sedan, still love and miss her. Of course the first thing you do when you get one (mine was used with ~25k on the clock, still under warranty) is get Renntech or Eurotech, or the like to do the pulley and ECU. Easy horsepower and torque (as if that car needed more torque!), no strain to the system, all rated for significantly more than is gained by these mild mods.

And all was well for 20k miles. They did all the servicing, fixed some broken stuff (motor mount inclusive), never made mention or issue of the pulley size or Renntech belt that spun it. In fact the service adviser I dealt with even told me where to go for more mods that the shop deems valid and won't void warranty.

Then all hell broke loose. New service director, cracking the whip trying to deny warranty claims to get their numbers up. So when I break a rear subframe connector (a part that failed on many bone stock E55's), he marked my car as being modded and voided the warranty.

I know the law, and a warranty provider can ONLY refuse to honor the warranty IF and ONLY IF the damage was caused solely by the modified part. In short, modifying doesn't 'disqualify' you from coverage, they just argue every repair and claim your mod was the cause of the failure.

In my case, I was part of a GREAT online community and had 3-4 guys email me scans of their repair bills for the same problem, broken subframe connector, all on bone stock cars.

Problem is that, despite even being an attorney, my time is worth more to me than litigating the repair would have been. Ended up costing under $1k, at a body and frame shop, done and over.

But I have BMW friends (if we can call them friends... JK) who Dinnan the hell out of their 335's and have NO issues with their dealer. Done out in the open. Some dealers even do mods for you themselves, IN THEIR FACTORY SHOP! Would love to see that litigate in court.

But the hassle has me on my heels with regards to my 2010 XKR Coupe. I would LOVE to harness the extra horses. Forced induction CRIES to be tweaked. So easy, so effective, so comparatively cheap as opposed N/A cars.

Is there no solution that can be put back to stock, leaving no mark? Put back original pulley, re-code ECU, and then bring it back? Too complex? Even if it cost $500 to swap, I'd consider it as an option.

Fast as these XKRs R, that extra, what 30RWHP would make it that much more fun. Oh, and get rid of the governor while you are in there, that can't cost much $ to hook up and re-flash to stock...

Anyone know of an owner doing this (swapping mods in and out), or a dealer offering this service?

Gotta be!

Skeeter

Old 12-07-2011 | 09:46 AM

I'd certainly be interested in that. I know it's not as exciting, but I have an ECU tuner for my Cummins that gives an extra 125HP over stock (I ran it through the Dyno because I wanted to know what it really did). Prior to taking it into the dealer I always flash the base code back onto it. Dodge doesn't really seem to care on the Diesels so much, but there are quite a few of them out there, and because I own the tuner, I can easily reflash it so they don't ask questions.

As a side note, I only use the truck for towing really. And I did some experiments over the summer comparing different ECU flashes to MPG. There's practically no difference -- so I take my 125HP because it makes towing SO much more easy.