XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Am I loosing my mind or simply being realistic

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

DGL, please, don't think that way. As it is, this country is full of people with alike mentality. Even worse, government is trying to do the best they can in injecting the notion of taking it from the rich and giving it to the poor to level out the everyone.
I came to this country about 10 years ago for betterment of life (i am in late 20s) and push myself very hard to be successful and make sure when i have kids, they don't go through what i went through.

I am always judged and looked down, because i always look great and drive a Jaguar. Doesn't bother me anymore, as I prefer that and i don't let people define me. People are always going to judge and criticize regardless of what you do and if i am going to be criticized, i would rather proudly be criticized for being who I am. And, more importantly, i want to be a trend setter and not a follower.

Now, every time somebody opens their mouth "do you need a Jaguar" or "is it necessary to dress like that", I come back dressed even better then next day.

It amazes me how much people take for granted here and don't see what's in front of them. They want to hate, they can hate all they want, they have the same 24 hours i have.

When i see someone successful, it gives me the drive to do more and better. Some say money is root of evil, i say poverty is root of all evil. I lived it, i know.

And, rich people or successful people, give away quite a bit. For the average person to take stabs at the rich guy, when they don't donate a dollar, it's quite hypercritical..

Why have all the success if not going to enjoy it? If you are in a position to help, that's fantastic. You can always donate money, start some type of organization to help a cause or even buy box of clothes to bring to a shelter yourself. You will make a lot of people happy.

The following 5 users liked this post by Executive:
DGL (04-07-2014), JimC64 (04-07-2014), M6XKR (04-07-2014), MaximA (04-07-2014), Schwabe (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

DGL, you're lucky to have a wife that allows you to enjoy such spoils. I came across this in the weekend paper's classifieds:

"Nearly brand new Harley Davidson soft-tale for sale. Evidently my wife's 'have it your way' didn't mean exactly what I thought it did."

Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Sheesh, the way this thread is going, the title of it should've been "Poor people are jealous of my riches and it makes me uncomfortable"...

I thought DGL's original concern was more about how much investment (time, money, effort) goes into maintaining a car collection such as his, and that it ends up defining you because that ends up being what is your greatest emphasis in life. Clearly I was mistaken!

DGL, I hope you got all the advice you needed...

Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Owning nice cars

A nice thing about living in so cal is that there are many nice cars, boats, houses, etc. I don't get the feeling that people look down at you for having nice things- maybe because that's the norm. At my public school drop off for my kids there is a Ferrari California, a Lamborghini gallardo, and a Bentley continental gt, not to mention many GL Mercedes and range rovers.
I don't feel bad or guilty a bit for owning nice cars. I have done much schooling, training, and have worked hard for them. I own them, because I'm a car enthusiast and really enjoy them. Life is short and a lot of bad things happen to good people every day. Don't feel guilt for living life to its fullest each day!

IMO what we buy, where we choose to live (type of house), how we dress etc. does portray and sends an image to the public of who we are. Some people want to be seen in a nice car because they feel insecure and the nice car makes them feel good. Some people just buy the nice car because they just want it, like it and have the money. I believe the reason for buying the car is what is important. However, in any case a simple Nissan Altima or Toyota Camry will get the transportation job done well at a very reasonable price. How does one justify paying 3-4 times the price for an exotic brand?

Yes, to a little extent.

I don't like the way some of public looks at me. About 8 months ago I was at the mall with my daughter. When we came out of the mall to go home we found that someone spit on the passenger side window. I was pissed, to have my daughter see this. I cleaned it off before allowing my daughter to get in the car.

Yes, I used to look at people with envy that drove nice cars, but the reality is not all people have good thoughts when they see a nice car. Nice cars get all kinds of bad attention which does bother me. I know I shouldn't let this influence me, but I don't like it.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

DGL - In any conversation I've had with you, I sense no "entitlement". You have worked your butt off, taken care of your responsibilities, and if you want to treat yourself to something YOU enjoy then feel free to do so.

I have no problem with people buying things they enjoy and don't care how they got them as its not my business. If they attained it unscrupulously this world has a way of taking care them and we can not worry about others and their decisions.

That being said your car, house, clothes, watch whatever it may be are more a reflection of your taste within your own budget, than the person you are. If others have a problem with that to bad, you can't be responsible for how others feel and see you. Turn that around for a moment, and think of the people that see you and decide to work harder and make something of themselves so they to can but an XKR. Nice things don't only spur envy and disdain they can inspire. I don't get jealous when I pull up to a Ferrari F12, I give the driver a thumbs up and then try to figure out what I need to do to get to that level in my own world.

I'm sure you have worked very hard to get to where you are and to also stay where you are, getting there is half the battle and there is nothing wrong with treating yourself.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

DGL,
It appears you've struck a nerve as the responses have been fast and furious. I would say that if you're buying expensive, high end sports cars because of what they represent in the social stratosphere, then indeed, your cars are defining you. But, if you are acquiring them because of the joy of driving exquisitely engineered machinery (actually for the joy of driving), beautifully sculpted design, ultimate comfortability....what's wrong with that? The cars that I've acquired over the years were purchased as I would purchase art work. I appreciated their beauty and their significance in their era, and how I felt being around them and driving them.

If these cars were expensive pieces of artwork, hanging in your living room, I'm not sure you'd feel the same way as they would be for your private viewing pleasure, only. But instead, by being out in public where they are associated with you, there seems to be some guilt involved. I think it's quite normal to question one's personal motives and actions throughout life, and to evaluate what makes us happy and fulfilled, but don't be too hard on yourself for enjoying a sliver of life that pleases you.

There are far more decadent indulgences that could consume you. So long as you do the other important things in life there should be no guilt in enjoying your passion.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I was filling up last week at a gas station on the corner of an intersection when I heard someone yelling from a car at the light "hey man, hey man". My first thought was "oh no, what the hell is this"? When I look up from the nozzle I saw a young black kid half out of the passenger window of the car yelling " do you want to sell that man, that is my dream car". I laughed and gave him a thumbs up and thought to myself "I used to do that, I hope that kid gets his dream someday.

We're just kids living the dream, no more no less. Don't over think it.

The following 4 users liked this post by jleuz1:
DGL (04-07-2014), JimC64 (04-07-2014), MaximA (04-07-2014), Schwabe (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho

Congrats on the GTR deal...sounds like more success there...

So, I am curious...do you think I am flaunting success by owning a DBS?

No, I don't think you're flaunting unless you bought your DBS for that reason. Only you know the answer to that question.

I just came back from a nice drive in my XKR and enjoyed it. I think I may be going through some sort of self evaluation to justify my choice of expensive cars. I don't need 1 exotic car let alone 3--well 2 now.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by jleuz1

We're just kids living the dream, no more no less. Don't over think it.

I always play things over and over in my mind sometimes and my unique head can take me almost anywhere. Thanks.

I'm semi retired, only managing my investments and looking after my monster house and family. As we get older, I heard it before, we tend to reflect on our life and the choices we've made. This is definitely one of those moments. When jagtoes gets back from his golf game maybe he will chime it.

The members on this forum have been like family to me since they welcomed me as a member.

Last edited by DGL; 04-07-2014 at 01:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DGL:
JimC64 (04-07-2014), jleuz1 (04-07-2014), MaximA (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 2008 XKR Portfolio

Coming from the Detroit area, I think you are or are not a CAR GUY, or girl sorry SoCal Babe. I am not Rich but can afford to put a nice weekend car in the garage. The CAR friends I have like it and my friends that aren't big on cars we talk about golf. I am concerned about the amount of time I spend on this forum when I should be billing hours, like now. Also on the weekend doing spring cleanup not shinning the Jag wheels. The truth is I worked hard and enjoy having the top down when I can.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
DGL,
It appears you've struck a nerve as the responses have been fast and furious. I would say that if you're buying expensive, high end sports cars because of what they represent in the social stratosphere, then indeed, your cars are defining you. But, if you are acquiring them because of the joy of driving exquisitely engineered machinery (actually for the joy of driving), beautifully sculpted design, ultimate comfortability....what's wrong with thativer of life that pleases you.
That is exactly my thoughts there.

I imagine most people here bought them for the engineering and beauty, since Jaguar is a brand that is all about subtlety and understated elegance, not brash and fancy in your face vanity!

The following users liked this post:
tberg (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Consider, perhaps, that your ownership of a given car purely for enjoyment may provide you with more than just the vehicle itself. When we "plug into" a particular car because of its performance, or looks, or technology... sometimes part of the enjoyment is the new community of enthusiasts that have also gravitated to that car. Like this forum, for instance.

One of the most interesting facets of the internet is its capacity to foster new communities/groups, both virtual and real. I'm in a local Challenger club that grew out of an enthusiast forum, and I've developed long-lasting and rewarding friendships with other club members... very rewarding, and for my family as well.

If a car is more to you than a simple appliance, if you have a car guy's heart, then you should never allow someone else's opinion (real or inferred) to diminish your pursuit and enjoyment of this personal interest. Because simply giving up the car itself is really giving up on a portion of your individuality.

Engage a bit of your competitive spirit, and allow yourself to answer this purposely generic question: "am I better than some other people?"

"Hell yes" is the correct answer. No apologies. No guilt. Work translates to achievement, recognized by reward. The trick is to also be better at listening, at caring, at forgiving...

Rich

Old 04-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

No matter what you buy, there's going to be someone who wants to rain on your parade; just the way it is.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Afluenza is not a disease, it is a perfectly normal emotional response. Narcissism is the disease. Congratulations, you don't have it. Acknowledge the guilt and let it remind you to be thankful for what you have. Never let it go.

Now go enjoy your cars.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
No matter what you buy, there's going to be someone who wants to rain on your parade; just the way it is.

It's called "negative energy".

Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
As we get older, I heard it before, we tend to reflect on our life and the choices we've made.

Yes indeed.

I think about things much differently at 56 than I did at 26 or 36. Life's experiences often change our perspectives.

My mother used to say that the most important parts of life are invisible to the eye. She was right.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 04-07-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "defining you"? Those cars are inanimate things. Who you are is what you believe in, what you stand for, your character, honor and integrity to name a few. What kind of car you drive does not define you in my opinion. It certainly doesn't define me. I have my car because I want it, not because it is who I am. I have been blessed to be able to afford it.

Sounds like you may have "AFluenza". This is a condition that occurs with some people that after reaching a point in their life at which they have acquired a degree of wealth and success they begin to feel guilty and self conscious about some parts of their life. They feel that since they have the wealth and success (and expensive cars) and others don't that is bad or negative.

News flash: while it is noble and compassionate to think so, we are not all created equal in ability. We don't all have the ability or drive to attain any particular degree of wealth or success.

Do you feel guilty about having the cars or think they make you "look" or "appear" to be shallow and self-centric?

I don't think you should feel this way. My cars have been toys. I did not/do not have them to make myself feel any particular way.

I know some look at a person driving a Lamborghini/Aston Martin/whatever and say, "look at that rich person - they don't need all that...they make too much money". I have always looked at those people and said that's a smart person I want that kind of success.

Nothing wrong at all with having these cars, or having a degree of wealth and success.

And there are ways to give back if you feel you need to.
Rodney,
Amen, brother.
I couldn't have said it better.
Stuart

The following users liked this post:
rscultho (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I bought my 75 because I am an utterly incurable petrolhead. If it says anything about me, I hope it's "This guy loves cars". I'm well-paid and comfortable, and better off financially than almost any of my friends (apart from one of the IKEA family...), but I'm not flash about it, other than my choice of cars. I prefer subtle to bling in most things.

Do I need it? No. Do I enjoy it and really love driving it? Hell, yes. This is my big extravagance, the one really expensive 'unnecessary' thing I own. OK, it's conspicuous consumption, but not conspicuous simply for conspicuousness's sake.

To be honest, the majority of responses I get are positive. My other half says she often wonders why people are staring at her, then realises they're admiring the car. The only people I get any grief from are cyclists - some MAMILs (Middle-Aged Men In Lycra) seem to assume anyone in a fast car is going to try & kill them, regardless of how it's actually being driven. Either that, or it completely offends their highly evolved green sensibilities. That leads them to be aggressively assertive, sort-of trying to get their retaliation in first.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Im the same as Ngarara. I look at the Jag and think it's gorgeous, I love the sound, the interior, the power. I've never has an adverse comment, because tall poppy syndrome doesn't seem to apply to Jags, in Oz at least. DGL's stable over here would cost over $850K, so it is out of my reach. But if I lived in the US, I'd certainly be hitting cars hard, though I tend to think that 2 or 3 between my wife and I would be the limit, there is only so much love I can give them.

But if you are thinking about downgrading, go drive an average car for a few days. There is a reason why we pay a premium for the Jags, or Volvos etc. My mother has a toyota 86 which reviews really well, but honestly even though the steering is awesome, it is fun to drive and it has a decent noise, it is cramped, the gearbox is notchy, the interior is basic and a little shabby, it is slow, the ride is pretty ordinary and it is dreadfully inconvenient, with the most stupid speedo I've ever seen such that it is near on impossible to see what speed you are doing. And that's a car that reviews well...

Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

They are wrong dump the cars quick whatever the loss is.

P.S. Michigan is close to Canada and I would love a deal on a 13 xkr.

Quick Reply: Am I loosing my mind or simply being realistic