XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Am I loosing my mind or simply being realistic

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

It's good to talk about it, I sold the xkr and i am hesitating buying a db9, I will ask Rscultho what he thinks.
I think it's good thinking like you do too, sometimes.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Rscultho, I could see you got a AM dbs how do you like it compare to the xkr?
I am looking for a db9 2007 or 08.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by LstFord
They are wrong dump the cars quick whatever the loss is.

P.S. Michigan is close to Canada and I would love a deal on a 13 xkr.

I dumped my GTR and made 23K. So let's see, I'll dump you a 2013 XKR loaded for $103K. Please wire funds immediately before someone else grabs it.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Even when I helped my other half to pick her new car, I was steering her towards a pocket rocket rather than a shopping trolley. I like to drive cars that accelerate, brake & handle well, and if I can find something that fulfils her requirements, is within budget and also has those characteristics, why not? Why choose the minimum that barely meets your needs when you can have something superior? As an aside: for the only time in our lives, and purely because it worked out that way, we actually bought both our cars on the same day. How decadent is that?

Most of us 'defined' ourselves a long time ago - I know there are a few younger folks on here, but most of us are 40+ and in most cases, cars have always been an important factor in our lives. So, the cars don't define us - we choose the cars that suit the people we have become, within the constraints of money, space, time, etc, that our various lives impose.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
DGL (04-07-2014), tberg (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Yes indeed.

I think about thinks much differently at 56 than I did at 26 or 36. Life's experiences often change our perspectives.

My mother used to say that the most important parts of life are invisible to the eye. She was right.

Cheers
DD

I agree with your mother. Very insightful and profound.

Reflection is not a bad thing. I'm very hard on myself because nothing was ever given to me. Upon my abusive, alcoholic fathers death, who had a sizable amount of cash, he left me and my brother with nothing, which I expected since birth. During my upbringing my parents never contributed $1 to my university education and I could go on and on... What's in our heads and thought processes that motivate us are so fragile like life it self. I think I might just be down on myself because I'm looking at my cars as a source of happiness and don't want to be so materialistic. On the other hand the cars do inspire me for what they are. Man, I don't have a shrink, maybe I should go see one and let Sigmund Freud have a talk to me; I think I'd rather have Erik Erikson have a talk to me. Ok, someone who can get inside my unique brain.

Last edited by DGL; 04-07-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I dumped my GTR and made 23K. So let's see, I'll dump you a 2013 XKR loaded for $103K. Please wire funds immediately before someone else grabs it.

Maybe that's why you are having anxiety, you need to laugh more.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I think I might just be down on myself because I'm looking at my cars as a source of happiness and don't want to be so materialistic.
If you sold them all, would you be a happier person? When you sold the 175, you missed it, and so you bought your current XKR. And would you be a better person? You sound like a pretty good guy to me.

My car makes me HAPPY - not because it is an expensive possession that enhances my status, but because it is a complete blast to drive. I don't polish it every weekend, I don't fuss over it, but I drive it every chance I get.

If that's why you like your cars, and I think it is, then it's not materialism, it's your hobby. You do it for fun, not status. Life's too bloody short; have fun doing the things you enjoy.

Last edited by Ngarara; 04-07-2014 at 06:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ngarara:
DGL (04-07-2014), Lothar52 (04-08-2014), Schwabe (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Maybe that's why you are having anxiety, you need to laugh more.

Hey, I'm not laughing. Please wire funds immediately.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I like to thank all of you for your insight.

It is obvious each and everyone of us comes wrapped with a different package of ideologies, believes and opinions with different needs and desires. I'd love to go to a place where children and people have nothing like Africa and see how they live with nothing and be so happy.

Last edited by DGL; 04-07-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
It is obvious each and everyone of us comes wrapped with a different package of ideologies, believes and opinions with different needs and desires.
And if you were looking for further proof that our cars don't define us: there it is

Old 04-07-2014, 07:28 PM

DGL I am not disparaging you or your cars as you say they are the best GT made. I love my car it is fun to drive, it may have less hp than newer ones but it is low mileage and looks and drives great. But I like the car I don't look at it the same way I would a 69 E-Type or a 62 Vette. Maybe someday ours will be classics. I am happy with what I have but there are a lot of XKR's 13 and 14 for under a $100. I like this one. A 2014 XKR Convertible $95,000 with 600 miles
Cars for Sale: 2014 Jaguar XK R Convertible in Houston, TX 77074: Convertible Details - 368144418 - AutoTrader.com

Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

DGL I am not disparaging you or your cars as you say they are the best GT made. I love my car it is fun to drive, it may have less hp than newer ones but it is low mileage and looks and drives great. But I like the car I don't look at it the same way I would a 69 E-Type or a 62 Vette. Maybe someday ours will be classics. I am happy with what I have but there are a lot of XKR's 13 and 14 for under a $100. I like this one. A 2014 XKR Convertible $95,000 with 600 miles
Cars for Sale: 2014 Jaguar XK R Convertible in Houston, TX 77074: Convertible Details - 368144418 - AutoTrader.com

Hey, my friend, you asked for it, so I offered it to you. You said you'd like me to dump a car your way like I dumped the GTR. So, I gave it you. Please wire funds immediately--I'm standing by LOL. I certainly don't feel insulted.

Last edited by DGL; 04-07-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 PM

Is that US of Canadian?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:52 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Is that US of Canadian?

Do you mean the currency of choice for my funds?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:08 PM

I am reconsidering, I am at the office working on my U.S. Tax return due the 15th. It always makes you reconsider everything. Have a good night all.
Jim

Old 04-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So, as a new owner of a 2008 XKR, i thought i might weigh in here. It is a slippery slope worrying about what other think about what you drive. Depending on the perspective, i am driving a car that is under what i could afford (not rich mind you, but $30k is not that much) or above what i really need. Am i a person that welds in floor pans into Alfa Romeo's no different than a body shop dude, or am I a somewhat successful business person driving a nice GT? The answer is both.
My previous car was a 2003 Mitsubishi evo 8, which was one hell of a car that i bought new, but ultimately found that for road trips it was a bit too much work (Not too shabby on the investment side as i recouped 65% of my purchase price on sale.) I wish i could have kept it, driving it is very different than the Jag, but as most of you would appreciate, there are trade-offs in life....
When driving the evo, i constantly was being prodded to race by all sorts of people, and I am sure they had their opinions of who I was, as did people in mercs and ferraris. regardless of these folks, those who were truly interested in cars and driving know these cars and appreciate them for their capabilities.
From my perspective, the bottom line question is whether you are buying a car as basic transportation, or a combination of transportation, special interest and hobby. If the former, get a Nissan, if the latter, buy what you enjoy.
first post down...:-)

The following 3 users liked this post by willwiser:
DGL (04-07-2014), JimC64 (04-08-2014), ralphwg (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Default Welcome

Nice to have you on board Willwiser.

You might like these, they are a very reasonable way add a bit of personality.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-xks-114619/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-cover-114153/

Last edited by LstFord; 04-07-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

DGL - If I(we) were to go through life worrying about what others thought of us when we were doing our thing (whatever that might be), minding our own business and not sticking ourselves in where we had no business; then, we would be living our lives to please others.

That really is not so important. What is important is that one should live their own life in a way that is not harmful to others and is pleasing to our own families as well as ourselves. If living the way you or we want involves owning and enjoying automobiles that are little out of the ordinary - so what? What is the harm done to others? If you can look at yourself in the mirror and not be ashamed of what you see and what you are then you are truly living your life well. Be content and enjoy what it is that you have earned and remember no one person can please everybody all of the time.

Enough philosophy - go out and put your pedal to the medal and enjoy your cars!! Remember, you worked hard for them.

The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
DGL (04-07-2014), Ngarara (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
DGL - If I(we) were to go through life worrying about what others thought of us when we were doing our thing (whatever that might be), minding our own business and not sticking ourselves in where we had no business; then, we would be living our lives to please others.

That really is not so important. What is important is that one should live their own life in a way that is not harmful to others and is pleasing to our own families as well as ourselves. If living the way you or we want involves owning and enjoying automobiles that are little out of the ordinary - so what? What is the harm done to others? If you can look at yourself in the mirror and not be ashamed of what you see and what you are then you are truly living your life well. Be content and enjoy what it is that you have earned and remember no one person can please everybody all of the time.

Enough philosophy - go out and put your pedal to the medal and enjoy your cars!! Remember, you worked hard for them.

Thank you Ralph, Very well said. Coming from you this means a lot to me. I had the pleasure of meeting you in LA in 2012. At times I can be so hard on myself denying myself any type of reward. This can really drive a person crazy overthinking about all the problems in the world and letting them negatively change my behavior. Today people are so opinionated and I can't let everyone's opinion or behavior change my behavior. As I got older I seem to have allowed this to happen to me more. I need to get back to thinking about my goals and not anyone else's. Being semi retired I have given too much weight to the opinions of others that don't align with my own. Now, when the rain stops, I'm going to put the pedal to the metal and let the kid in me out to play and not worry about anyone else, and at the same time I'll be respectful of others, but I'll be doing what I want.

The following users liked this post:
jleuz1 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
This can really drive a person crazy overthinking about all the problems in the world and letting them negatively change my behavior.

I'm reminded of this:

“In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. So it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were designed in the first place: the opportunity to do good work, to enjoy friends, to fall in love, to hit a ball, and to bounce a baby.”

-Alistair Cooke

Just replace 'hit a ball' with 'drive my Jaguar'

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
DGL (04-08-2014), Ngarara (04-08-2014), ralphwg (04-08-2014)

Quick Reply: Am I loosing my mind or simply being realistic