XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

and another battery question, this time about charging

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018 | 01:10 AM
|
Default and another battery question, this time about charging

I am quite confused. On one had the XK (and XF) manuals are quite emphatic about disconnecting and removing the battery from the car before charging. They go as far as saying only the dealer should remove it. Yet they are happy to have it connected to any old car's battery via jump leads. Given the extensive process to re-set the car after battery removal, that clearly is not going to happen. Simpler to routinely take the car on a 20 mile aimless drive!
On the other hand I read on here about quite extensive use, at least amongst this community, of a CTEK 3300 charger with absolutely no ill effects. I see the claims it makes about "protects vehicle electronics" but not sure what that exactly means.
I have a number of classics and use a charger every 3-4 weeks to ensure these all have well charged batteries. This is a modern 8amp, eight stage charger from a well known brand. The specification details are almost identical to the CTEK MXS 5.0 (which i take it repalces the 3300) but doesn't state " protects vehicle electronics". Okay, one is 5amp and the other 8amp. My reading is there is an amount of butt covering going on, but how on earth do owners of these cars work out what we can or cannot use? Investing in another charger does seem a bit bizarre. Anyway I can tell if mine is or isn't suitable?

Old 01-27-2018 | 03:32 AM

You can use your charger without issue, just don't hook the leads up directly to the battery. Hook them up as if you were jumping the car. See owners manual for location.
If you hook directly to the battery & specifically the negative terminal you will confuse the battery monitoring system & get all kinds of fun battery not charging messages upon start up. This then needs to be reset with dealer software.

This applies to 2010 & UP. No battery monitoring system prior to that.

The following users liked this post:
gmsclassics (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018 | 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

I assume you have knowledge of the difference between a battery Charger and a battery maintainer. The Ctek and other battery maintainers have a very low charge rate usually between 3-5 amps. The newer models go through a de-sulfide state during the initial charge phase. Usually any charger over 5 amps is not also a maintainer but some are. As stated the 2010 MY and newer have a battery monitor on the negative terminal. To bypass this during charging can cause charging problems with the cars system. I also assume Jaguar doesn't want you to put a 20 amp charger on the battery and boil off the battery and cause damage inside the car with battery acid and fumes and electrical spikes which will fry some electronics. No you can jump start these cars using the positive jump terminal in the left side of the boot behind the grill and the negative setup in the spare tire area. It is OK to jump using another battery or a battery in another vehicle but the vehicle needs to be turned off. So if the battery is flat I would use a 10 amp small charger in the charge posts until it returns to at least 80-90% state of charge. Then use the Ctek to finish the charge and maintenance phase. The newer the Ctek the better they are.

The following users liked this post:
gmsclassics (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018 | 11:20 AM

You want confusion... this will give you a headache:

Modern Batteries and Winter Storage Headaches - Automobile https://apple.news/A_EJvvTZCR_ie4ZcWZevVNg