XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Another Tire Thread as Costco is Having a Sale!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 07:34 AM
Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Another Tire Thread as Costco is Having a Sale!

Since Costco is running a sale on Michelin (GET $70 OFF Any set of four (4) MICHELIN Tires + $80 OFF Installation), I need some advise. I currently have Dunlap SP Sport Maxx tires on 20" Senta wheels. The tires are about 6+ years old. I find these tires to be a bit harsh. Road Noise and Comfort are really of primary importance even though I am a reasonably aggressive driver. I also live in Florida year round. I've read the previous tire threads, but the recommendations are all over the map.

A lot of people seem to recommend the Michelin Pilot 4S. Is this the right tire for me? Do I take advantage of the $150 off that Costco is offering? DoI pass as there other tires that are a better choice?

Thanks,

Ken

Old 11-23-2019, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

What is the total out-the-door-installed cost?

Old 11-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Old 11-23-2019, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Old 11-23-2019, 08:35 AM
Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JagRag
What is the total out-the-door-installed cost?
$1,194 plus sales tax.

Ken

Old 11-23-2019, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Michelins suck. Well, as of three years ago they sucked. IF they made VAST improvements, maybe they don't any more, but I will not give them another try ever as they tried to kill me.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by JagRag

I have the Continental DWS-06 on my XJ 5.0L SC with 20" staggered fitment wheels and they're perfect for my needs. They're quiet, smooth riding, long wearing and cost much less than Michelins. The Michelins may provide higher performance, but for me the additional cost isn't worth the dubious benefit. I'm a Costco member and bought my Contis at Discount Tire. My local DT store matched their online price at https://www.discounttiredirect.com/

IMPORTANT NOTE: The proper torque is 92 ft.-lbs, regardless of what the installer tells you. To prevent your 2-piece OEM Jaguar lug nuts from being damaged, make sure that the installer uses ONLY the OEM Jaguar 19mm socket wrench and manual tools to remove and reinstall your wheels. If he uses an air impact torque wrench, most likely the SAE socket will be slightly larger than OEM metric socket and will bugger your nuts. Only you can protect your nuts! I keep a separate deep 19mm socket in my trunk that I bought from Harbor Freight.
For details, see: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-nuts-219546/

Old 11-23-2019, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
IMPORTANT NOTE: The proper torque is 92 ft.-lbs, regardless of what the installer tells you.........................
Yes, this!
The installer last time I got tires, a few weeks ago, told me repeatedly that the specified torque was, I think he said, 55 Ft/Lbs. We all know that is wrong, but he kept insisting. I told him to make it 90 anyway, so he did. Now that I have 100 miles on it since then, it is time to retorque them.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

First and foremost, we can always count on Cee Jay's "Michelin's Suck" comment.... After all these years, his one gripe does get tiresome...

Secondly, regardless of what tire you choose, buy it locally.
I can get all the prices in the world off Tirerack. But when I do, I add the tax and shipping costs, then walk into my local tire shop and ask if they can match the price. With fair marketing like that on the counter, they have always agreed, and I kept everything right in my own community and built a loyalty between the managers and myself.
And yes.... Costco is in my community, and I have bought there as well, but If I can give my struggling local shop the money, I at least try...

I have the Michelins.... Not sure I like them any more than my Bridgestone S-04s, but the two tires se to be about a $400 gap. When The Michelins went on sale at a $200 gap, I decided to try them. but I'm still waiting for them to impress me.

Conti DW's have been a favorite here in the Pacific Northwest, and I recommended them years ago. Someone here tried them, and apparently the compound got much softer than a few years earlier. Claims that they had too much flex would worry me if that is true. Also, we only get rain.... Maybe snow 3 -5 days a year, so the "S" portion of the DW (Dry/Wet/Snow) is not something I or most southern climates would want to use.

Last edited by CleverName; 11-23-2019 at 12:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
First and foremost, we can always count on Cee Jay's "Michelin's Suck" comment.... After all these years, his one gripe does get tiresome..................
Yep, I sure do seem to hold a grudge when a company's inferior product does its best to end my life and destroy my property. What NERVE I have!

My next full set of tires will probably be the Contis already mentioned. They seem to have the best reputation in this forum. I LOVE my Hankooks, but they do start to flat-spot when the car isn't driven for a few weeks. It takes a few miles at highway speeds to round 'em out. Good tires though.

vintageyz (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Yep, I sure do seem to hold a grudge when a company's inferior product does its best to end my life and destroy my property. What NERVE I have!.
Your whiny grudge is irrelevant. Get over it.
That tire, that compound, that design, made that year and that month no longer exists. Yet you try to influence people that there is an issue with a completely different tire design, compound, and manufacturing process you clearly know absolutely nothing about.
IF you have experience with any design or compound being sold today, feel free to contribute, but pointing to a tire from yesteryear is giving worthless information.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, dude, do you have stock in Michelin or something? *sigh*
Now how about enough complaining about me specifically and GET BACK TO TOPIC?????????????

Old 11-23-2019, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, I sure do seem to hold a grudge when a company's inferior product does its best to end my life and destroy my property. What NERVE I have!

My next full set of tires will probably be the Contis already mentioned. They seem to have the best reputation in this forum. I LOVE my Hankooks, but they do start to flat-spot when the car isn't driven for a few weeks. It takes a few miles at highway speeds to round 'em out. Good tires though.

I agree with Cee Jay about Michelins and Hankooks.

I was very unhappy with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on my old Lexus LS460. With less than 5,000 miles on them, the edges on all 4 tires were shredded, as if you took a potato peeler and sliced along the outsides. Alignment and tire pressures were perfect. Michelin admitted that the triple-compound they used was defective and replaced all 4 tires under warranty with the cheaper Pilot HX MXM4 A/S. This also happened to XK owners. See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hunking-82025/
That experience soured me on Michelins. They're not the only game in town.

I've had Hankook V12 Ventus Evos on my XKR for 5 years and have been very pleased with them. My XKR is not my daily driver and, as Cee Jay noted, they do flat spot but have always smoothed out after a few miles. They've been great, but when it comes time to replace them it'll be a tossup between the newer models of Hankook and Continental.

See my Post #13 for some good advice before installing new tires:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...issues-107294/

Cee Jay (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, dude, do you have stock in Michelin or something? *sigh*
Now how about enough complaining about me specifically and GET BACK TO TOPIC?????????????
I am on topic, and trying hard to help the OP with real data...

You are not the only one I like to spotlight. 2 things that annoy me are folks that scream "That is garbage", only to find out they aren't talking about what we are, or those that scream "These are the best ever" only to find they have never tried anything equivalent to base that comment on. (an example of the latter is someone coming off all seasons to a summer performance tire of any brand and being excited. That's fine, but to say your Walmart General tires are the "best ever" is hardly giving out helpful info. Calling them "The best you have ever tried", is a more correct comment.)

As I said, I'm still not convinced the Pilot Sport S4 are better than the Bridgestones yet, but I can say that because am driving on both tires right now.....
I'm an aggressive driver at all times, have belonged to many car clubs, and raced many tracks. I never expect to see a third year on any tire I buy for myself, and in truth until my Jags (which I don't track), getting a second year out of my tires would shock me.

I've driven on 2 sets of Michelin A/S 3's (came on the cars I bought) and I pulled them within a month for lack of traction. But that was over 5+ years ago and I'm confident the A/S 3 today is a completely different tire than it was... Same with the Contis. I've tracked the DW's (not my car) in the rain and was stunned.... But that too was 5+ years ago, and I understand the compound has changed since then, so my past knowledge of them is near meaningless.

In helping the OP, I recommend they listen to folks that have the tires being discussed, or at least experience with that model within the last 2 years, and preferably with a tire less that 2 years of age.
BOL

Vince

Old 11-23-2019, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

You are absolutely right. Tire manufacturers are always changing tread designs and compounds for better performance. Tread wear, traction, handling, stopping distances, wet or dry, cost, noise, warranty - no single tire has ever been #1 in every category. What's most important to you? Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Nevertheless, a sufficiently negative experience with a manufacturer is a valid reason to never do business with them again.

My Michelin experience wasn't so bad as to make me blacklist them forever. When the time comes, I'll consider buying Michelins if they're the best value for my needs compared to Continental and Hankook. One factor in deciding is to compare the customer reviews of their latest models on Tire Rack and Discount Tire and compare prices and discounts.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

TL,DR

Old 11-23-2019, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

khsjsilver, what are you running on your XF? Any reason you can't put the same on your XK, or don't want to? Shop around. Every time I hunt for tires, I find a better deal @ BigO or Tires plus. Costco hasn't been able to beat them. Just FYI. I won't recommend any specific. It's too subjective, but encourage you to shop around.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

and will bugger your nuts. Only you can protect your nuts!
Yes this, one must never bugger your nuts! Unless you’re into that sort of thing...

Sean W (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Obviously, you know what quoting me out of context will get you!

Old 11-23-2019, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Obviously, you know what quoting me out of context will get you!
Buggered?

Quick Reply: Another Tire Thread as Costco is Having a Sale!