XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Another Water Pump Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 10:09 PM
Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Another Water Pump Thread

Getting my research together to change the water pump in my recently acquired 2010 XKR. Downloaded the Service Manual from this forum (thanks BTW, what a fantastic resource), but some parts of the manual are a bit tricky for a DIY'er like me to follow, so I am hoping someone that's done the job before can add some clarity...I have a few specific questions below, but if there's anything else I am not thinking about please share.

From what I can gather, I need to:
Drain the cooling system (via the drain on the rad)
1. Remove the air cleaner tubes from the intake
2. Slacken the drive belt to remove it from the pulleys
3. Remove the belt tensioner (looks like it needs to be removed to get access to all the water pump bolts?)
4. Remove hoses & pipes from the water pump
5. Unbolt water pump
6. Reverse the above, using new gaskets/seals on the new pump

Then refill the cooling system using the bleeding procedure from the manual - which seems complex and detailed, but looks like essentially you're elevating the expansion tank, disconnecting a coolant pipe somewhere and then filling the system until the coolant is visible where you disconnected the pipe. From there you run the heat, idling the engine and topping up the coolant in the expansion tank until it stops dropping.

Am I on the right track here?

Old 08-13-2019, 06:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You're on the right track. The design has changed a bit from the manual. This may come into play if any of the hard plastic tubes like the one to the throttle body to the small plastic "Y" fitting fare going to be replaced (I'd recommend it) See this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post2022934 so you can get the additional parts you might need. For example,the water pump to thermostat tube that now has a small tube that connects to the water pump bleeder and a new "Y" adapter that has the small outlet plugged by design).