XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Any electrical experts here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Any electrical experts here?

I installed a set of Adamesh LED tail lights on my 2007 XKR, I am not sure this is a factor in the problem I am experiencing, but I do not have the stock tail lights to swap back in to rule it out.

Problem: Occasionally when driving the car's dash board will display a "indicator/bulb failure" for the Entire Driver side of the car. (Driverside Headlight, fender/sidemarker, and taillight) all at the same time. The weird part is, I am 95% sure the lights are all still fully functional as I have got out to check or have seen them working in the reflection of other cars.

I keep the car on a CTEK charger so the battery should not be the issue, although the battery is a few years old.

Any ideas what might be causing this issue or a good way to find the route cause? possibly a bad ground?

Thanks

Old 07-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Very strange.

I would start by going over exactly what you did and then checking the grounds as well.

It could be a loose connection, hopefully so.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 AM

The hard part is I swapped these lights out right after I bought the car, so I don't know if this was an issue before or after the LED light install.

I plan to go through the grounds and connections thoroughly here soon. Maybe swap the blade style connectors on the LED kit with solder.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by M6XKR
The hard part is I swapped these lights out right after I bought the car, so I don't know if this was an issue before or after the LED light install.

I plan to go through the grounds and connections thoroughly here soon. Maybe swap the blade style connectors on the LED kit with solder.
I agree, check and redo the connections first. If you still have issues, contact Geoff at Adamesh. He will go to the manufacturer for answers if necessary.

Adamesh now carries my Remote Top Kit. If a customer ever has a question he always contacts me to assist.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I agree, check and redo the connections first. If you still have issues, contact Geoff at Adamesh. He will go to the manufacturer for answers if necessary.

Adamesh now carries my Remote Top Kit. If a customer ever has a question he always contacts me to assist.
Great, thanks for your replies. I will go over all the connections and report back. I might not be able to get to this for a week or so. But I will reply with my findings.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

I installed a set of Adamesh LED tail lights on my 2007 XKR ...
Mike,

I believe that when Adamesh first introduced their LED tail light conversion kit they used resistors to compensate for the lower resistance of LEDs, but had problems with the "indicator/bulb failure" warning. The later version replaced those resistors with light bulbs to equalize the resistance and eliminate the warning.

After you've verified all the connections, if you still have the "indicator/bulb failure" warning you may want to check and make sure all the resistors or bulbs are OK and haven't burned out.

If everything checks out OK and you're still getting the warning, try reinstalling the lights following the instructions posted by georgekale - see the link to his .pdf instructions in his post #51 in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-36907/page3/

I haven't done the conversion, but thought about doing it a while ago. Still procrastinating.

Stuart

Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your "smart" flasher unit flashes twice as fast (or keys the warning text) to advise you that one of the bulbs is out...or you might not know it was out. LED units draw so much less current the flasher unit sees the lower current draw as one of the lights (incandescent) being out. The solution is to add the resistor circuit in parallel with the lamp circuit to raise the current draw (which seems counter productive since that's half the reason I switch to LEDs) or find a flasher unit that has a lower threshold.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Mike,

I believe that when Adamesh first introduced their LED tail light conversion kit they used resistors to compensate for the lower resistance of LEDs, but had problems with the "indicator/bulb failure" warning. The later version replaced those resistors with light bulbs to equalize the resistance and eliminate the warning.

After you've verified all the connections, if you still have the "indicator/bulb failure" warning you may want to check and make sure all the resistors or bulbs are OK and haven't burned out.

If everything checks out OK and you're still getting the warning, try reinstalling the lights following the instructions posted by georgekale - see the link to his .pdf instructions in his post #51 in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-36907/page3/

I haven't done the conversion, but thought about doing it a while ago. Still procrastinating.

Stuart
Thanks for that link, I don't think any of the bulbs are burnt out as the issue appears to be intermittent. However I think it might be a good idea to build this resistor circuit and eliminate the cheesy bulbs that you have to hide back behind the trim. It looks like a pretty simple build too.

Originally Posted by paintfiend

Your "smart" flasher unit flashes twice as fast (or keys the warning text) to advise you that one of the bulbs is out...or you might not know it was out. LED units draw so much less current the flasher unit sees the lower current draw as one of the lights (incandescent) being out. The solution is to add the resistor circuit in parallel with the lamp circuit to raise the current draw (which seems counter productive since that's half the reason I switch to LEDs) or find a flasher unit that has a lower threshold..
Thanks, I was unaware of this smart flasher unit, I am guessing the resistor circuit would be an easier/cheaper solution to try first?

Thanks for both of your replies.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I was unaware of this smart flasher unit, I am guessing the resistor circuit would be an easier/cheaper solution to try first?

Thanks for both of your replies.
The resistors would be the cheapest. I'm not aware of an alternate flasher unit that works. I actually ran across this problem working on a motorcycle. Isn't technology wonderful?!