XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Any funny bystander reactions to share?

I had thought there was one of these threads on here but can't find it. There's one on the F-type (sorry to swear) forum so thought I'd start one. OK here's my story from earlier in the month

Popped into my local supermarket to have my lottery tickets checked and when I came back out there are 15 women around my car admiring it.

I walked up and opened it and went to get in to be met with:

Them) Oooh is this yours? (in an accent)
Me) I hope so as I've the keys (getting in the car)
Them) Do you mind if we take photographs of it?
Me) Sure, but it's only a car (modest to a fault)
Them) No it's not and it's beautiful, we don't have these in Denmark
Me) Really?
Them) No, none of us have seen one before
Me) Do you want me to step out of the car while you take pictures
Them) No, you're just as attractive as the car (giggles)
Me) Beaming

Well naturally I had to put down the windows before starting it up and heard the exclamations of appreciation, and perhaps pulled away with a little more gusto than usual
Cheered me up no end and infinitely better than the usual bunch of old/overweight men that walk around it

There's a follow on as later that evening I spoke to the girlfriend on the phone and shared the anecdote with her and she got angry

When I assured her that 'I really couldn't do long-distance relationships' she got even angrier!
When I laughed and told her "I didn't get any phone numbers".... she was fuming!!
I then told her she was being irrational about it, and if she didn't get over herself, I was going to hang up the phone and never speak to her again.

Weirdly at this point she seem to come around and see it as a funny anecdote.

Strange insecure and possessive creatures these females??

The following 2 users liked this post by MarkyUK:
Cee Jay (08-18-2019), gkubrak (08-19-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Such is life.15 Danes when its too late.

You were quite right to leverage that and put the mrs on notice.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

I no longer remember the exact words.

There was outdoor seating for a restaurant near where my car was parked.

It was something along the lines of "That's not who I expected to get in that car".

It is my favourite reaction.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,359 Likes on 3,173 Posts

I walked out of a hardware store and got to my car and a guy stopped me and said something like "I have on of these too, don't you love Maseratis"? Evidently he didn't have either one.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
80sRule (08-20-2019), gkubrak (08-19-2019), MarkyUK (08-18-2019), ralphwg (08-25-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
"That's not who I expected to get in that car".
Either you're too sexy for your car....or....naaah the alternative is unthinkable!

Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I was in my convertible with the top down in traffic and a guy sticks his head out of a pickup truck behind me to my right. He says, "I want your car!". I yelled back, "You can't have it!" with a big smile as we drove off.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:56 AM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

"Yoooo the Jag thoughhhh"

Old 08-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Lady on the back of a Harley. Every stop light she kept looking over. I assumed as always, the car, not me. Then she said something to me. Never heard the words but the guy driving the bike did and he made sure they didn't pull up along side me again. In fact the next light he got behind me. The one after he ran through a yellow. Sure makes me wonder what she said.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Then she said something to me. Never heard the words
'He got the bike to be with other bikers. I would do anything for those bucket seats'

Old 08-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Received 239 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I walked out of a hardware store and got to my car and a guy stopped me and said something like "I have on of these too, don't you love Maseratis"? Evidently he didn't have either one.
Or he could have both cars and just likes non sequiturs.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

1.) It's some kind of a Corvette. Two teenage boys looking it over.
2.) Your too old for that car. Comment from a total male stranger, at a gas station filling it up.
3.) Is it as fast as it looks? Comment from a lady in a shopping center parking lot.
4.) Do you need a rider? Comment from an elderly lady while I was getting into it.

The following 4 users liked this post by Rick'sJag:
gkubrak (08-20-2019), kj07xk (08-19-2019), MarkyUK (08-19-2019), pwpacp (08-19-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Leaving the funeral of a friend's grandmother, two elderly ladies in a Lexus SV (guessing driver in her 70's and passenger in her 80's; I'm mid 50's):
Driver: Wanna trade?
Passenger: Can I ride with you instead?

Old 08-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't have the front license plate mounted on my XKR because I think it just ruins the look.
Anyway, driving in the next town over from me, I pull up to a red light next to a cop who is in the left turn lane.
He rolls down his window looking at my vert. I thought for sure he was going to give me a ticket for not having a front plate.
Instead he says "nice ride" as the light turns green and he pulls away. Some cops are also car guys who "get it".

Old 08-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsammon
I don't have the front license plate mounted on my XKR because I think it just ruins the look.
Anyway, driving in the next town over from me, I pull up to a red light next to a cop who is in the left turn lane.
He rolls down his window looking at my vert. I thought for sure he was going to give me a ticket for not having a front plate.
Instead he says "nice ride" as the light turns green and he pulls away. Some cops are also car guys who "get it".
Yep they are and my BIL is a retired NYSP and a car guy but he always told me to never give a LEO an excuse to pull you over. Think of that when you have that 2nd glass of wine. Just sayin.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I have been asked if the car is a Maserati on both my XKRs. It's weird since you'd think the Maserati would be less common, and also the Granturismo has a giant trident on it, but whatever.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

On a trip to pick up an ebay order in a less than pleasant part of town a yoof approached me and convo went like this

Yoof - Is dat a maserati like?
Me - No it's a jaguar
Yoof - I'd not drive or park it around ere (sniggering)
Me - WHY DO YOU THINK YOUR MAN ENOUGH TO TAKE IT OFF ME SON!!???

Having been raised in the East End of London and now living in rural bumpkin land I feel the need to let my inner Ray Winstone out sometimes...it usually scares the natives

Colm O (09-01-2020)
Old 08-20-2019, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

This is a true story I'll never forget. It happened many decades ago in New Jersey when I was in high school, shortly before I got my driver's license. It was around midnight and I was with my girlfriend in the back seat of her daddy's black Cadillac. We were parked at the end of a quiet, dead-end residential street, and were so busy that we didn't notice that another car had pulled up behind us. To our surprise, we were terrified by someone banging on the window with a flashlight yelling "Police! Open the door!" We were both really embarrassed (no pun intended) and did as we were told. I had no ID, but fortunately she had her license and car registration. After explaining that he was responding to a neighbor's report of a suspicious vehicle, the cop let us go with a warning, gave me his card and said: "If you want to do this again, call me and I'll take you to a place where you won't be disturbed!"

Those were the days!

kj07xk (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Either you're too sexy for your car....or....naaah the alternative is unthinkable!
The factors involved could be numerous.

First I was, and am, much younger than what the general public would consider likely for a car that looks like these.

Secondly I had previously been curious what the result might be if I let my hair grow out untrimmed after a complete shave of my head down to skin.
I was far enough along in this scientific endeavor that the sensible part of my thinking already knew that the hairstyle of Samson was not for me.
The scientific side however was still winning out in continuing the experiment despite sensible objections.

A third factor is that this particular morning I had been waiting at the gate of a state park for its opening.
I got to hit the mountain trail before sun up and had acquired quite the amount of dust.
The trail I had chosen starts in a bit of muddy forrest, providing me with nice shades of brown.
It then ascends a 1,600 foot rise. The mud gives way to red clay; adding an additional shades of pink and red.
Then the final rocky ascent is made, providing the erosion residue of the various minerals. This added yellow dust, gray dust, black dust, white dust, etc.
I then re-descended, acquiring the inverse of the above layers.
I did this twice. It was also summer in the southern U.S.; conducive to more than a glistening of perspiration.

Clothes were rather sunfaded and had a much salted appearance.
Age was rather not in keeping within the expectations for a Jaguar grand tourer.
Coiffure was such that it would not be unexpected for me to be scavenging rubbish bins for a mid day snack or perhaps escaped from a caveman exhibit in a museum.
Generous layers of different colors of dust and dirt were still the inhabitants of my external corporal form.
The overall appearance perhaps gave the impression that I might not live in a house.

So there you have it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tervuren:
enderle (08-21-2019), sharx8 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Went to my local Toyota dealership parts department to pick up an oil filter and some fasteners for my truck. A salesman looks at the XK and jokingly asks, "wanna trade that in?"

I replied, "Sure, which 3 cars on the lot will you give me for it?" By the look on his face, he was seriously thinking about it for a few moments...

The following 4 users liked this post by Joachim1167:
Cee Jay (08-23-2019), kj07xk (08-24-2019), peterv8 (08-23-2019), sharx8 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Not a bystander but when I had my headliner replaced, the guy working at the counter asks me if I'm a Doctor. I say no, why? He says, "I thought only doctors could afford these cars". He is obviously not familiar with Jag depreciation! hahaha

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?