XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anybody going on a long trip in their Jag this summer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
It will follow you but you also have a control set.
And a 25 mph limit on the drone. Great concept for runners, bikers, kayakers and the like...not so much for motor sports enthusiasts. Most high end drones offer a similar feature, and these things are really getting pretty inexpensive to have and play with. Photography is a hobby of mine, and you can get some cool shots with them. Just be mindful of where you're flying them and it's yet another cool toy to add to the collection.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Just did a leisurely trip to the southern highlands from Sydney

Old 06-19-2016, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I think in some states/county's here you can get a hunting licence to shoot them down. Some how I think it would be easier then shooting trap or skeet.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:16 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I think in some states/county's here you can get a hunting licence to shoot them down. Some how I think it would be easier then shooting trap or skeet.
I'll stick to skeet or sporting clays. Targets are cheaper.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:20 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought my car 2 months ago outside of Chicago and drove home. I-80 and the Pa. Tpke. all the way; not much to see. The driving wasn't much either, too many construction zones.

So this thread got me thinking that I should set out somewhere soon. As I am happily divorced, packing, planning is simple. Both the Blue Ridge and the "Daks" sound like good choices. Hmmmmmm...........

Old 06-19-2016, 04:25 PM
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been thinking about doing a Top Gear challenge of mailing a letter to relatives in California and seeing if I can beat it there in the XK (I live in Georgia). The trip home will be the long way round, nice and leisurely with many sightseeing stops.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wrapped 1,110 mile 'scenic' trip that was going to Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Detroit and back home. All this before I even had her for the first week. Averaged 22.3 mpg on the trip and that was with cruise pegged at 80 for good portions, and a fair amount of 'enthusiastic' acceleration to show a few friends what she can do.

Also learned to keep sunscreen in the glove box if you are going to drive outside for long periods of time.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:35 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Last year I was completely overworked and stressed out. I also realized I had way too much rubber on my tires and they desperately needed some to be removed. I took about 10 days driving from central California Hwy 1 (the coast back roads) all the way through Oregon and up around the Olympic peninsula in Washington, ending up on Whidbey Island. Stayed in historic bed and breakfasts along the way (finally figured out all of the idiosyncrasies of the nav system). What a pleasure to drive. Whether tearing-up the turns or doing the slow cool cruise through small towns it makes you remember why you wanted one of these things to begin with. About 2500 miles total. If you haven't done anything like that yet...DO IT!

Old 06-26-2016, 05:24 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

As I mentioned in other threads: I just moved from NJ to SC. So I drove down in a rented SUV to the house closing, to drop off some essentials. Than, I flew back to NJ to meet the movers and loaded my dog and cats into the jag along with a trunk full of last minute random objects. This is the longest trip I made in the jag so far. It was super comfortable compared to the rental SUV where my butt, legs and back were all sore after the 11.5 hour drive. In the jag, my neck was a bit sore and I was tired, but the rest of me felt fine. And I got to SC 30 minutes quicker than in the SUV

Old 07-05-2016, 11:29 PM
Received 334 Likes on 201 Posts

Just came back from Lake Placid for the July 4th weekend and it was one of the best weekends in my life. On Thursday I got the Jag primed for our Friday morning voyage. I gave her an exterior car wash and good vacuuming in the interior and the boot. I then filled her up with a full tank of Exxon premium fuel and popped in all the addresses that I will be needing into the GPS. I then checked the tire pressure all around and I gave my wife the extra Jag key fob to keep in her bag just in case I lose mine.

Friday morning at 7AM off we go. We begin on the Palisades Parkway, which itself is a lovely drive and then head on to 87 North. The Jag performed flawlessly. I particularly like the cruise control. It stays on point with no lagging or missteps. The GPS is excellent as well. I set the air-conditioner to 63 degrees and also I prefer to have the upper and lower vents on at the same time. It keeps the car cool and there is virtually no direct cold air blowing right on my face. We make it to Lake Placid just shy of four hours. I stayed at 65MPH all the way, as I was not in any sort of rush. The cabin was extremely quiet and I had all of my favorite music on the USB drive [no iPod for me thank you]

Lake Placid and The Adirondack Mountains are impressive. If you are ever in New York State, definitely put it on your bucket list. Lake Placid is right in the middle of the mountains. It is a very beautiful town with lots of restaurants, shops, and activities. You can just walk around with an ice cream or go on the Lake and enjoy the water. There is something for everyone. Lot's of cool cars and motorcycles all over the place.

All day parking is just five bucks and you have to get there early because parking gets tight by noon. Below are a few pics from the trip. I snuck a pic of a nice white Merc I spotted along the way. I also enjoyed a delicious meatball pizza with a view of the Lake. Yummy.

The best part of the whole trip though is the campfire. Nothing beats being with friends and family around a campfire on a cool summer night telling jokes and having some good laughs. It just doesn't get any better that that.

Best compliment of the weekend; A stranger came up to me in the parking lot in Lake Placid and said " I am not into cars whatsoever, but damn I am sweating your Jag"...

As far as I am concerned this is the best car I have ever owned.

Attached Thumbnails Anybody going on a long trip in their Jag this summer?-welcome.jpg   Anybody going on a long trip in their Jag this summer?-lpview.jpg   Anybody going on a long trip in their Jag this summer?-jagparked.jpg   Anybody going on a long trip in their Jag this summer?-merc.jpg   Anybody going on a long trip in their Jag this summer?-pizza.jpg  

Anybody going on a long trip in their Jag this summer?-fire.jpg  

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 07-05-2016 at 11:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LoudHogRider (07-06-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Do any of you use a clear bra or any sort of paint protection on your long drives? Or do you even worry about it? I did SC to CA and back through SD 2 years ago in the XJ. Fabulous trip, but bugs and bumper rash. SC to Montana and back last year in a rental. Couldn't get all the bugs off the front. I want to take the XKR, but am a bit hesitant............

Old 07-12-2016, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2fly
Do any of you use a clear bra or any sort of paint protection on your long drives? Or do you even worry about it? I did SC to CA and back through SD 2 years ago in the XJ. Fabulous trip, but bugs and bumper rash. SC to Montana and back last year in a rental. Couldn't get all the bugs off the front. I want to take the XKR, but am a bit hesitant............
Get a couple cans of that Plasti-Dip clear paint. Paint it on and when you get back you can peel it right off. The six or so coats recommended take one heck of a beating and protect the paint underneath.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
kj07xk (07-15-2016), luv2fly (07-13-2016), ralphwg (07-14-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2fly
I am transferring my lease and I just remove the clear bra from my XJL. Paint is like new under the film. I will put it on the new F Pace...
Guy

The following users liked this post:
luv2fly (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
I will be heading upstate to Plattsburgh NY and then into Montreal Canada. Driving through the Adirondack Mountains is quite a sight and the perfect place to put my XK through its paces. Just look at this view - stunning. Anybody else got some trips planned?
I did a long trip each year since I have the XKRS. Great way to travel in style. When do you come to Montreal? You can PM me if you need advise and tips to find good and safe places the park the jag downtown MTL..
Guy

Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Planning a trip to Auto Week in Pebble Beach. Driving the XKR. Thanks for the Plasti-dip tip. Now I plan to use it.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Quebecjag
I did a long trip each year since I have the XKRS. Great way to travel in style. When do you come to Montreal? You can PM me if you need advise and tips to find good and safe places the park the jag downtown MTL..
Guy

Sounds great...I will definitely keep you in mind. Very much appreciated.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Planning a trip to Auto Week in Pebble Beach. Driving the XKR. Thanks for the Plasti-dip tip. Now I plan to use it.
You're welcome.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

We just returned from a short trip to Dallas, about 600 miles. Jag performed flawlessly.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just back from my trip from NC to Omaha and back. 2,600 miles in 8 days. Car ran flawlessly for the entire trip. I did about 1500 of those miles in just 2 days, and it was a very comfortable ride. I also had three full tanks of gas with just over 30 mpg average! I could have used a little more trunk room, but other than that it was a great trip.

Govtslug

Old 08-08-2016, 09:05 AM

How many gallons of fuel does our XK hold?

Quick Reply: Anybody going on a long trip in their Jag this summer?