XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anybody use a booster seat in the back?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anybody use a booster seat in the back?

I'm looking to buy a 2008 XK Conv and was wondering if anybody has used a booster seat in the back. I drive my kids in my car very rarely, but still need the option. Wouldn't be on long trips, espeicially with more than 1 child.

I tried fitting a standard booster in the back and it seemed to be a little too big for the seat. Also seemed like it would seat a child up too high in the back seat (although I haven't conducted human testing yet).

Anybody here have some experience with a booster? Not sure if the jag accessory booster fits better than a standard...

Thank you!
Jim

Old 03-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I've tried. Nope. Don't even bother the seats were put in for lower insurance purposes. They are unusable. They can hold a CD case and or a cell phone lololololol.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 PM
xjb
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We tested our booster seat and had the same result you did. I would also be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with the "official" Jaguar accessory booster seat.

Originally Posted by jimatvs
I'm looking to buy a 2008 XK Conv and was wondering if anybody has used a booster seat in the back. I drive my kids in my car very rarely, but still need the option. Wouldn't be on long trips, espeicially with more than 1 child.

I tried fitting a standard booster in the back and it seemed to be a little too big for the seat. Also seemed like it would seat a child up too high in the back seat (although I haven't conducted human testing yet).

Anybody here have some experience with a booster? Not sure if the jag accessory booster fits better than a standard...

Thank you!
Jim

Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a full size booster in the back of my 2010 . Tied myself in knots installing it but it's meeting my needs and is very safely installed.

My car is basically just for me and my wife or me and my little boy , so it doesn't bother me that with the booster seat there it means that if someone's in the front seat (no taller than about 5'7'' with the booster in) the booster is useless and if my boy's in the booster the passenger seat needs to be all the way forward.

Even so........my boy's big for 3yo and his head isn't too far away from the roof and I expect him to grow out of it within a year or two. Then we'll need to look at a cushion booster - can't see it being too much of a problem in the context of my needs.

Most of the high backed full booster seats (99%) will not fit at all as the top of the backrest hits the sloping roofline before you get it onto the seat , but through some legwork I managed to find one only with a lower headrest that is still functional and fits in the XKR. In Australia it's called a Hipod Senator , and of course it's about the most expensive you can buy.

Despite the silly "seats" in the back of the XKR the seat is rock solid when installed.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by bl5150
I have a full size booster in the back of my 2010 . Tied myself in knots installing it but it's meeting my needs and is very safely installed.

My car is basically just for me and my wife or me and my little boy , so it doesn't bother me that with the booster seat there it means that if someone's in the front seat (no taller than about 5'7'' with the booster in) the booster is useless and if my boy's in the booster the passenger seat needs to be all the way forward.

Even so........my boy's big for 3yo and his head isn't too far away from the roof and I expect him to grow out of it within a year or two. Then we'll need to look at a cushion booster - can't see it being too much of a problem in the context of my needs.

Most of the high backed full booster seats (99%) will not fit at all as the top of the backrest hits the sloping roofline before you get it onto the seat , but through some legwork I managed to find one only with a lower headrest that is still functional and fits in the XKR. In Australia it's called a Hipod Senator , and of course it's about the most expensive you can buy.

Despite the silly "seats" in the back of the XKR the seat is rock solid when installed.
Thx for your reply! When you use the term "booster cushion" I'm assuming you don't mean a booster seat without the back as that would still have the same height problem with your son's head and the roof. I know Jaguar's accessory is called a booster cushion, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it. Are there other booster cushions you've seen?

Again, appreciate the help!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

We really don't have anything in the way of Jaguar branded seats here - they supply an infant seat if requested that isn't Jaguar branded that'll suit up to around 2 yo , but if you ask them what happens after that age the salesman looks at you like you're from another planet.

I was referring to a "backless" booster when I referred to a cushion booster. They have far less bulk in the base than the full size boosters and I'd expect to create at least a few inches extra headroom which should be enough until maybe 6yo when he'd be fine to sit in the back seat bucket and then move to the front when he outgrows that.

Cheers.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by bl5150
We really don't have anything in the way of Jaguar branded seats here - they supply an infant seat if requested that isn't Jaguar branded that'll suit up to around 2 yo , but if you ask them what happens after that age the salesman looks at you like you're from another planet.

I was referring to a "backless" booster when I referred to a cushion booster. They have far less bulk in the base than the full size boosters and I'd expect to create at least a few inches extra headroom which should be enough until maybe 6yo when he'd be fine to sit in the back seat bucket and then move to the front when he outgrows that.

Cheers.
That makes sense...on both points actually...thx

Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 AM
xjb
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For what its worth, the Jaguar international site lists child seats and booster seats as available XK accessories here:
http://www.jaguar.com/gl/en/#/owner_...ies/xk/touring

I don't see anything similar listed on the US site.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Avoid

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd share my unfortunate experience with the "official" Jaguar XK booster seat.

In short it's a disgraceful piece of equipment. It is not in any way designed for the XK, and is in fact simply a very cheap and nasty standard booster seat from Mothercare that they sell for just £7.95!!! (Jaguar charge £32)

It doesn't fit the rear seats at all, and even more amazingly it doesn't even fit the front seat either, being too wide for the side bolsters there as well. So it sits very precariously on the rear seats, and also has the unfortunate effect of moving your child's legs further forward, not good in the back where leg room is not exactly spacious to start with!! In the front, again, because it perches forward because it wont fit to the back of the seat, it's prone to sliding side to side.

In addition the bits that are supposed to hold the seat belt in place across the lap are so poorly designed that they don't work.

So, whatever you do, do not believe the Jaguar accessories website that by stating it is for the XK only implies it has been designed for the XK. It hasn't. It is just the cheapest Mothercare booster seat that they do, and it it an awful product for any car, let alone an XK series.

I would go as far to say it's dangerous as you cannot fit it properly, and I'm pretty disgusted that Jaguar could sell such an item. Being new to the Jaguar brand it's fair to say it has somewhat sullied my view of them given their premium status.

I will be complaining to their head office and think they should simply withdraw the product. How they have the cheek to charge 4x what Mothercare charge and pass it off as somehow fit for the XK is close to disgraceful....

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 01:01 PM

I have the same dilemma and I can't seem to find a solution...anybody out there with a solution that worked for them?

Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by samy
I have the same dilemma and I can't seem to find a solution...anybody out there with a solution that worked for them?

Target has a Graco model that just fits. It is a little smaller/shorter than most boosters and fits kids 3 and up. It also will convert to a backless booster when he gets older.The boys one is gray and black with orange accents. I forget what the girls one looked like. I believe it only costs around $45.

He has to ride with his legs slightly apart, if he tries to put them together they will touch the seat in front unless I scoot the seat all the way up which is impossible if someone is sitting there. Also, I didn't use the right side arm rest on the booster, with it in place it is very difficult to reach down and buckle the belt.

Make sure you put a folded towel under it and another one behind it so you don't mess up your leather. Also, when he rides, it's shoes off. He thinks he's in a roller coaster in the XKR-S. lol

Attached Thumbnails Anybody use a booster seat in the back?-294235_10151621189149941_163059095_n.jpg  

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 06-13-2013 at 01:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt in Houston:
amcdonal86 (06-13-2013), jagxk2008 (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

lol that's cute! Question, I don't have kids now but I am getting married and plan to keep the XKR. Should I buy that booster seat from Target now, in case they stop making them by the time I have kids?

Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 PM

I looked at target and don't seem to find it..can you give us the exact name or model number..much appreciated.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
lol that's cute! Question, I don't have kids now but I am getting married and plan to keep the XKR. Should I buy that booster seat from Target now, in case they stop making them by the time I have kids?
Wow, talk about planning ahead! I guess since it's only $49 it could be a good investment.

It indeed fits...and it is comfortable enough for him to fall asleep in it because he did it a few nights ago when we were coming back from his friends house. It does sit upright a bit but that is how they all are going to be in that car. It is very secure, I made sure of that, but it does not have a latch system...to me this makes it easier to take in and out of the car since I don't leave it in when he is not using it.

It took me a while to find this one, as most boosters are larger and require your kid to be 4 years old and something like 40" tall to fit. This one is for 30 lbs, 38", and 3 years old...so it is a little smaller. I'm glad I found it.

Graco Turbo Highback Booster - Keller : Target

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a solution if your kids are older (age 4 and above)- No booster. I tried several different boosters(base only)- and none of them fit very well. In addition, my older kid's head was almost touching the roof and the seatbelt was slipping off their shoulder (kids were 4 and 5 at the time). So I tried putting the kids in without the booster and they fit perfect (proper placement of seatbelts and more head room). One of the reasons I purchased this car was the backseat for kids and it works great!

Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Octurbo
I have a solution if your kids are older (age 4 and above)- No booster. I tried several different boosters(base only)- and none of them fit very well. In addition, my older kid's head was almost touching the roof and the seatbelt was slipping off their shoulder (kids were 4 and 5 at the time). So I tried putting the kids in without the booster and they fit perfect (proper placement of seatbelts and more head room). One of the reasons I purchased this car was the backseat for kids and it works great!
I thought about that too, for when my boy gets older...but when I researched TX law, it requires a booster until the child is 4'9" or 8 years old, and doesn't make exceptions. My Joey is a little guy, I don't think he will be out of a booster until he turns 8.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

Just save the money for this https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-xf-xj-93922/

Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
I thought about that too, for when my boy gets older...but when I researched TX law, it requires a booster until the child is 4'9" or 8 years old, and doesn't make exceptions. My Joey is a little guy, I don't think he will be out of a booster until he turns 8.
In CA kids have to be in boosters until age 8 as well. However, I'm not going to put them in a booster if it's less safe. The spirit of the law is to improve safety, so hopefully the police will understand this if I get pulled over!

Last edited by Octurbo; 06-13-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Booster seats that fit or not, you guys have the luckiest kids in the world. When I was little my mom had a Pinto wagon and if the exploding gas tank didn't burn you, the frigging vinyl seats most certainly would.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I had to get rid of my V12 XJS when my second child turned up. I 'compromised' by buying an X300 XJ12 to whisk them around in. Since then they have had to make do with an X308 XJR, an X350 XJ8 and now the XKR.

They are mid teens now so it is a bit of a struggle but I can still just fit them in the back!

Quick Reply: Anybody use a booster seat in the back?