XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anyone have a good solution where to put stuff while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 11:22 AM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

I use this for my phone and love it. Keep in mind, what is shown in the link is only half of the system. You have to get the part that works with your phone too.

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...-console-mount

The following 2 users liked this post by carealtor:
Abby's Guy (10-02-2020), gts055 (10-01-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 11:25 AM
Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by carealtor
I use this for my phone and love it. Keep in mind, what is shown in the link is only half of the system. You have to get the part that works with your phone too.

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...-console-mount
That's cool. But damn... $30? Maybe for $20.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:44 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,153 Likes on 809 Posts

My phone is in the glove box. That way I can give full attention to those ‘not paying attention’ on the road because they are too busy &$(*%ing around on a phone while driving and sorting their pathetic life. I may answer the phone (hands free) or I may not... it’s at my discretion. Best leave me a message.

The following 2 users liked this post by guy:
gts055 (10-01-2020), MarkyUK (12-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2020, 05:03 PM
Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

I too haven't found a place to set my iPhone, I have used a CD mounted phone holder in my F150 but I hope another perfect alternative pops up in this thread.

I agree, my back pocket is the best place for my phone but sometimes the phone navigation is much easier to activate than the 12-year-old nav system. I have opened the ashtray and set it in there but still looking for suggestions. Thanks.

PS. This is my first vehicle without a key so I learned a lesson the scary way the first month I owned the car. I got into the habit of tossing the key fob on the passenger seat and one day I exited the car without the key fob and attempted to lock the car from the outside door handle, Well, the car sounded two beeps, which to me meant it was locked. I returned to the car and realized I left the key inside. My heart sank.

Thank God I partially read the owner's manual, and I remembered that the car will not lock the car if it knows the transmitter is inside the car. I vaguely recalled that the hatchback would not lock in this circumstance. I did find the hatchback unlocked and breathed a sigh of relief, only to think, " well how the heck am I going to get to the front seat, I can't squeeze through that space?" Fortunately, the driver's door was unlocked as well and the ordeal ended.

Ever since then, those keys go straight into my right front pocket, even after I am seating in the driver's seat. I get fewer "low key fob battery" warnings if I hold the fob in my right hand as I enter the vehicle, hoping the other transmitters sense the fob's presence and allow me to fire it up without putting it in the fob cradle.

Love my XKR!
Rick

Old 09-30-2020, 05:41 PM
Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ExKayRick
I too haven't found a place to set my iPhone, I have used a CD mounted phone holder in my F150 but I hope another perfect alternative pops up in this thread.
I have really good luck with something like this in my Expedition, but for me, it doesn't suit the Jag well having to push the arm rest back to access the cup holders. But, maybe for other people, they don't mind that so much, so I'll put a link here.

Cup Holder Phone Mount Cup Holder Phone Mount

Old 09-30-2020, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,213 Likes on 918 Posts

Here is a pic of my phone holder arrangement. simple, out of the way but easy to look at manipulate and use.

The following 3 users liked this post by ralphwg:
1fldsqn (10-01-2020), ExKayRick (09-30-2020), Ricardo147 (01-05-2022)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:18 AM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I use this

The following 2 users liked this post by Gismo:
m.priscilla (10-01-2020), Ricardo147 (01-05-2022)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not a dumb question. I have the same issue! Not sure of the solution.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:32 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Misc stuff holder

We have several smaller sports cars and have tried various solutions to keep small items corralled. For your problems, we’d suggest looking into a little holder that slides between one side of the center console and the seat. There’s also a pocket organizer that fits along the front of either seat.
hth

Originally Posted by KrazyIvanUSA
Maybe this is a dumb thread, I dunno. I can't be the only one that always struggles with this.

Typically, I travel around with a phone, a wallet and a bunch of keys. I have a hard time figuring out where to put things. Putting them on the passenger seat often finds them flying onto the floor at some point during the drive. I don't like the door panel, as it is not easily accessible while seated in the car with the door closed. I really don't like the windshield mounted phone holders, as it obstructs the view in the already short windshield. I don't like the phone mounts that clip to the vents, as I feel like the vent has the possibility of breaking, and I'd rather not deal with that.

Too bad manufactures don't offer some convenient places to put things while driving around. A built-in place for a phone would be ideal. None of them do this that I know of.

I thought about getting a headrest bag for the passenger seat. Should be pretty easy to reach over behind the seat and grab into it. But...I dunno.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 258 Posts

This is my solution. These 'caddies" are held in-place by side boards between the seats an console. The "boards" are covered with a soft velour type fabric and are lined as well. To my eye, look tasteful and a nice addition to store those small bits we all carry.

Last edited by RedRider48; 10-01-2020 at 09:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RedRider48:
1fldsqn (10-02-2020), m.priscilla (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe this is a dumb thread, I dunno. I can't be the only one that always struggles with this.

Typically, I travel around with a phone, a wallet and a bunch of keys. I have a hard time figuring out where to put things. Putting them on the passenger seat often finds them flying onto the floor at some point during the drive. I don't like the door panel, as it is not easily accessible while seated in the car with the door closed. I really don't like the windshield mounted phone holders, as it obstructs the view in the already short windshield. I don't like the phone mounts that clip to the vents, as I feel like the vent has the possibility of breaking, and I'd rather not deal with that.

Too bad manufactures don't offer some convenient places to put things while driving around. A built-in place for a phone would be ideal. None of them do this that I know of.

I thought about getting a headrest bag for the passenger seat. Should be pretty easy to reach over behind the seat and grab into it. But...I dunno.

Any solutions?

Thanks.
I went back to using a fanny pack and wear it in front that still leaves room for the seat belt. You will have access to the pockets on the pack while driving. Now that I'm older, first year baby boomer, I tend to forget things. I used one when I was younger in the tradition way and going back to one now has helped.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an early etype, there’s a car with a little open cubby in the dash with no good place to put a wallet besides behind the passenger seat.

Doesn't an XKR have a nice glove box to safely drop everything in?

Shouldn't be playing with your phone while driving anyway.

Connect to blue tooth if its that essential.

The following users liked this post:
007XKR (11-25-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:45 AM
Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

i made this for my phone and drink. If I were to start over I would have made a place for glasses also. The small hole has been changed and I have a nice USB port there now.

The following 4 users liked this post by scottatl:
m.priscilla (10-01-2020), marrat (10-16-2020), ralphwg (10-01-2020), RedRider48 (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 258 Posts

That's a nice touch!

Old 10-01-2020, 09:53 AM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree that the phone on the windshield is not a good idea. My phone holder “sucker” fits perfectly into the battery voltage dial (3 dial version with no nav xk8).

Old 10-01-2020, 09:54 AM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

That's cool. But damn... $30? Maybe for $20.
You're worth it.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any solutions?

Thanks.
Velcro a pouch to the carpet next to your Right leg

Old 10-01-2020, 10:01 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A fanny pack (same color as your interior) can be hung on the passenger seat headrest and is shallow enough for you to easily reach what is inside. When you have a passenger, it can simply be turned to the back of the seat, or removed and placed in the back.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:02 AM
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,
I was dealing with the same problem until I came about the following item on eBay.

You can have them in a tan/beige color
2 Cup Holder Drink Beverage Seat wedge Car Truck RV 1 Tan /Brown Universal Mount
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12171545356...AQ:MOTORS:1123

Or you can have them in black too
Car Seat Seam Wedge Storage Organizer Cup Holder Bottle Drink Phone Mount Stand
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Seat-Se...75.c100623.m-1

There cost around US $12.00-13.00.

I have one in my 2004 XJ8 and my 1995 XJS
They have two cup holders and a cell phone compartment. Very handy.

Let me know if this was helpful to you.
Enjoy !!!

Old 10-01-2020, 10:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to Amazon and under Automotive search for "Seat Storage Organizer", there's lot there.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a good solution where to put stuff while driving?