XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anyone have a good solution where to put stuff while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 05:09 PM
Received 272 Likes on 116 Posts

Here's the skinny pockets I use... barely noticeable when not in use, and the phone does not protrude higher than the console. If it did, I'd just put it on its side.

The following 2 users liked this post by Scott in PA:
1fldsqn (10-02-2020), kj07xk (10-02-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you keep in your centre console? or am I missing something?

The following 2 users liked this post by Porcupine:
Cee Jay (10-01-2020), Grizzley1 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,475 Likes on 3,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Porcupine
Yeah, I really don't get it either. I've never had a problem with... stuff. The large pouch next to the console would hit my leg constantly and bug the crap outa me. Stuff placed or stuck on the dash or windshield would seem tacky and out of place. Between the center console, the glove box and my pockets, I have nothing else to worry about.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
guy (10-02-2020), Porcupine (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Muddydog did a great docking mount in his ashtray. Pretty slick!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ashtray-95251/

Old 10-02-2020, 07:43 AM
Received 272 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
The large pouch next to the console would hit my leg constantly and bug the crap outa me. .
That would drive me crazy, too... the pouches I have are only slightly thicker than the phone and have been the perfect solution for me.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

be careful of vent holders lest you pop off vertical vent adjusters behind front louvers as they are a big problem to replace, had to take entire vent out to do it

Old 10-02-2020, 08:45 AM
Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

It's funny and a real sign of how forgiving you guys (Americans) are of Jaguar cars - these vehicles fail, disintegrate, parts self-destruct, engines blow up for no reason, but the worry over where to put things while driving gets 4 pages of chat .
I just finished 2 months of work on this XKR of mine, I could really put it in a skip right now I'm so tired after all that.

Thank God most of you clearly haven't discovered German cars...cause then you'd be mad.

BTW - I put all my stuff in the big centre console and central armrest of my big VW Passatt Estate (station wagon) - the Jag is for that rare moment of indulgence (it's my mistress - bad news but can't quite help myself), and anything surplus gets thrown on the floor.

Have a great weekend all

The following users liked this post:
m.priscilla (11-15-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah - I had a VW Tiguan - Great car... Until the engine vibration damper gave out. Easy fix, though - I had to drop a new engine in it. Reminds me of the BMW I had - had a connecting rod rip right through the side of the engine block - another engine replacement. The BMW Z3 I had wasn't as bad. Just dropped a valve and put a hole through a piston. That time I decided to rebuild the engine and add aluminum pistons, high lift camshafts and a supercharger. It overpowered the clutch and twisted the rear stabilizer bar connections. Just visit the VW and BMW forums and see how little their problems are.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:18 AM

I must have have got really lucky. My old 530 sport and newer Passat are just faultless - I've never even needed to find a forum for those.
Your experience sounds horrendous.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wsn03
It's funny and a real sign of how forgiving you guys (Americans) are of Jaguar cars - these vehicles fail, disintegrate, parts self-destruct, engines blow up for no reason, but the worry over where to put things while driving gets 4 pages of chat .
I just finished 2 months of work on this XKR of mine, I could really put it in a skip right now I'm so tired after all that.

Thank God most of you clearly haven't discovered German cars...cause then you'd be mad.

BTW - I put all my stuff in the big centre console and central armrest of my big VW Passatt Estate (station wagon) - the Jag is for that rare moment of indulgence (it's my mistress - bad news but can't quite help myself), and anything surplus gets thrown on the floor.

Have a great weekend all
You are a crazy man who evidently bought a POS.
I had an Audi A4. Absolute garbage in every way.
Had an SL 500, rode nice but broke constantly.
Had an old VW decades ago, a broken kid's wagon was a better vehicle.

Now my XKR has had one problem in the..... seven years I've had it.

I'm quite sorry yours isn't any good, but you are in the very small minority of owners.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:46 AM
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Imagine how it would feel to have a problem with your brand new Bugatti Veyron. I'm sure it must have happened. I heard it cost $20,000 for an oil change and $50,000 for a new set of tires. I heard that McLaren wanted someone to sign a release before he bought one. Ya gotta check out this short video;

wsn03 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
You are a crazy man who evidently bought a POS.
I had an Audi A4. Absolute garbage in every way.
Had an SL 500, rode nice but broke constantly.
Had an old VW decades ago, a broken kid's wagon was a better vehicle.

Now my XKR has had one problem in the..... seven years I've had it.

I'm quite sorry yours isn't any good, but you are in the very small minority of owners.
I bought a mint XKR, but no accounting for crap aircon condensors and parking sensors (well known faults), and half-written workshop manuals. I think Americans love their JLRs possibly more than British do, and that is a good thing. I love the cars, unhappy with the quality of some components. Only had good experience with German but clearly that's not universal. The quality rating of JLR in the UK is very low, but I believe getting better. I did a lot of work with JLR, and despaired of their attitude (senior management) to quality at that time - "sealed for life" gearboxes? Ridiculous.

Small minority definitely not, perhaps on this forum but not elsewhere. My friend had 2 new 5.0l supercharged motors blow on him from new. 2 others got rid within a year because of reliability.

Mine is a love affair moan, I love the car regardless. Maybe not understood - with hours spent figuring out how to make everything perfect I love to have a moan about this car, but I wouldn't part with it for anything.

I love Jags, don't love the quality of some things JLR sold. Whatever, not worth getting upset over - perhaps I'm missing something?!?

Last edited by wsn03; 10-02-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:06 AM

Just ordered these on ebay - really handy for passport, tickets extra drinks on the trip to Le Mans. Only 6 GBP

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174456836372

Old 10-02-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by BlueSky
Imagine how it would feel to have a problem with your brand new Bugatti Veyron. I'm sure it must have happened. I heard it cost $20,000 for an oil change and $50,000 for a new set of tires. I heard that McLaren wanted someone to sign a release before he bought one. Ya gotta check out this short video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7qpUqwLS9o
long video, will enjoy watching it tonight, thanks

Old 10-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyIvanUSA
Maybe this is a dumb thread, I dunno. I can't be the only one that always struggles with this.

Typically, I travel around with a phone, a wallet and a bunch of keys. I have a hard time figuring out where to put things. Putting them on the passenger seat often finds them flying onto the floor at some point during the drive. I don't like the door panel, as it is not easily accessible while seated in the car with the door closed. I really don't like the windshield mounted phone holders, as it obstructs the view in the already short windshield. I don't like the phone mounts that clip to the vents, as I feel like the vent has the possibility of breaking, and I'd rather not deal with that.

Too bad manufactures don't offer some convenient places to put things while driving around. A built-in place for a phone would be ideal. None of them do this that I know of.

I thought about getting a headrest bag for the passenger seat. Should be pretty easy to reach over behind the seat and grab into it. But...I dunno.

Any solutions?

Thanks.
While we are at it - What is the little black cubby hole/slot/area on the consul just forward of the shift lever? I throw change in there, but wonder why the consul has this weird area?
Any innovative ideas on puting this area to use?

Old 10-02-2020, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dave2006/XK8
While we are at it - What is the little black cubby hole/slot/area on the consul just forward of the shift lever? I throw change in there, but wonder why the consul has this weird area?
Any innovative ideas on puting this area to use?
HOW did you MISS this?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cation-233044/

Old 10-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Porcupine
The console space under the arm rest is tiny. My phone doesn't even fit in there. Removing the cup holder? Is this the 80's - where I would be searching around for a cup holder? Hmm.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wsn03

Have a great weekend all
I have a 2011 Ford Expedition that has been a workhorse for my daily driving with little to no issues. It has all the storage and space and cubby holes to carry things that a person could wish for. It is reliable too. Heck, even with 170k miles, it has never needed so much as an alignment - the trusted shop I use for maintenance says that they are amazed, as the alignment is not any more straight than it could get.

The Jag is my second, fun car.

Mechanical issues can be addressed and fixed. There is a place to replace a water pump. A place to replace brakes. A place to replace a filter or pan or whatever other mechanical issue you may come up against. I luckily haven't had any issues and from the service history and inspections that have been had on the car at service intervals, everything seems to be in order. Hopefully I will go a long while without issues. I do worry about if I were to take it on a long trip. I have family about 700 miles away, and I have reservations about driving it that far. I've only put a total of 700 miles on it in the last year as it is.

I'm just trying to find a solution to make the enjoyment of the Jag even more enjoyable by not having to have things block my view, break or unnecessarily wear various parts of the interior by mounting things to surfaces/vents and not having things fly across the inside of the car as I drive it. My Jag doesn't even accept addresses outside of Washington DC in the navigation. (I may eventually have the navigation updated, but for now that is what it is) So, if I could find a solution that would allow my phone to be located in a somewhat convenient place where I could use it for navigation, while having a place to secure my other small items while I drive it...that would be good too.

wsn03 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb Seriously?

everything I carry fits beautifully in the center console

Last edited by Susie Q; 10-02-2020 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo
guy (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott in PA
Here's the skinny pockets I use... barely noticeable when not in use, and the phone does not protrude higher than the console. If it did, I'd just put it on its side.
Where did you find the ‘skinny pocket’?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a good solution where to put stuff while driving?