XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anyone have this issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone have this issue

I have a 2012 XK. Both turn signals operate correctly and flash normally. The left turn signal has the normal rhythmic flashing sound, click-click-click, While the right signal is none rhythmic, clickety-clickety-click-clickety-click etc. As I said the lights flash normally its just the none rhythmic clicking from inside the car when the right turn signal is operating. Any ideas?

Old 11-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Most times when the flasher is faster than normal it is due to a bulb out.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:33 PM

Well 110reef you were correct. I didn't check the bulbs because I just went thru inspection and I ,ASSUMED, they were good. Anyway I read thru the manual and followed the instruction for removing the headlight and I can just move it out about 1/2" and no more. Can anyone tell me how to remove the headlight on a 2012 XK. Again thanks.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

Assuming the three bolts are removed, the water line is removed and the long plastic retainer thingy on top is lifted, it should pull right out, at least to the extent of the wiring. Maybe the water line?

Old 11-03-2017, 06:25 PM

Don-T 3 bolts have been removed. But I have no hose attached to the assembly and there is no plastic retainer to release. I see these in the manual for 2012 X150 model but not on mine. I have removed the wheel and fender lining and can't see where it is hanging up. I hope I don't have to remove the bumper cover. Really got me stumped.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Yeah, no water line on the 2012+, the washers are in the bumper.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:19 PM

Well I went ahead and downloaded the section on Headlights from TOPIX. Seems that the turn signal is not a bulb but LED, excerpt from manual. Also, there is nothing in the manual that talks about replacing the turn signal bulb.

TURN SIGNAL INDICATOR LAMP
The turn signal indicator lamp is incorporated into the headlamp assembly, outboard of the projector module.
The turn signal indicator lamps are operated by the lighting control switch or by the hazard flasher switch. The lighting control switch is only active when the ignition is in the ignition mode. The hazard flasher switch is active at all times. When active, the turn signal indicator lamps flash at a frequency cycle of 400 ms on and 400 ms off.

If a turn signal indicator lamp fails, the remaining turn signal indicator lamps continue to flash at the normal speed. The applicable turn signal indicator in the instrument cluster will flash at twice the normal rate and the audible ticking will also be at twice the normal rate, to indicate the failure to the driver.
The turn signal indicator lamps are also operated by the anti-theft system when the vehicle is locked and unlocked, and if an alarm is triggered.

So does this mean the only option is replace the entire headlight assembly? I'm not up on LED circuits so I guess that the driver would be a part of the circuit board. I just don't know. Also, I have the car in the garage plugged up to CTEK and the turn signal flashes normally. When I take it for a drive it will function correctly one or two times then it will start the double clicking (indicating the failure). Is it possible that the battery needs replacing, it is a 2012 with 17k mikes.. I have no other indication normally associated with a low battery.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Is it the original battery? If you have it on a maintainer, it should show 12.5 volts at minimum with the ignition in the off position.

The battery may not be the issue in this instance.

You can replace the bulb for the turn signal indicator lamp without the need to replace the entire assembly, provided there is no damage to the headlamp assembly.

Sometimes a bulb can be failing, but make intermittent contact across the filament so it appears to work if there is a temperature change or movement of the filament.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Did I miss the part where you visually verified that the turn signal in the head light is inop, or are you just going by what you observe from behind the wheel?

Generally speaking, any single electronic component is replaceable, but it depends on the availability of the part or a suitable substitute and on how competent you are in such repairs. So yes, a single LED or an array of LEDs are very easily replaced by someone capable of taking the headlight apart, desoldering the offending LEDs, resoldering replacements and putting it all back together.

How brave are you feeling?

Old 11-12-2017, 09:13 PM

Yes I did verify that the front right TS was not operating when the flasher was ticking at double the normal rate. Has no one had to replace the front turn signal bulb on 2012 or later XK ? I have removed the headlight assembly and absolutely cannot find the turn signal bulb just the HID access cover and a multi pin connector on the back.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 PM

Can you post a couple pictures of the sides of the headlight that you don't see when they're mounted? My 2010 is different, but if you show me what you're looking at, I might be able to help. Picture = thousand words and all... It would also satisfy my curiosity and further the available info on this board.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Turn signal indicator bulb is number four in the illustration...

Old 11-13-2017, 12:45 AM

He has a '12, so not that headlight.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:39 AM

I have attached a picture that I got off the internet that is exactly like mine. I had mine out but could not locate a bulb for the turn signal. I attempted to remove the multi pin socket but it would not come out and I didn't want to force it. Any help would be appreciated in locating the turn signal bulb.

Last edited by chiefmd; 11-13-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

The bulbs are part of the connector and are accessed by removing the connector. It looks like you rotate the connector and pull it out.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:27 AM

That's what I thought but like I said it would not come out. When I rotate it ccw it will pull out about 1/8" then no more. When I rotate cw it will go in and that point I did not want it to fall into the housing. Is there a trick to getting this out?

Last edited by chiefmd; 11-13-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

When you enlarge the 1st picture of the connector you can see the tabs on the connector and the red color is the rubber gasket seal. When you twist the connector so the tabs align with the reliefs (when you see the red gasket) you should be able to pull the connector out. If you pulled it out 1/8" it should come out as the gasket/seal is a compressed fit. Take some pictures when you get it out.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 AM

I'm working on it now but it just won't budge. I have tried to use pliers and small screwdrivers to pry it out but nothing. Like I said I don't want to bugger it up.
The first picture is with the socket unlocked and pushed in. To lock it you pull it out and rotate the tabs. I'm at a loss. I can't believe that Jaguar would make this so difficult.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 290 Likes on 196 Posts

Thinking at a tangent: Typically, LEDs have a long life and these aluminium cars seem to suffer from dodgy earths. Might be worth running an alternative earth cable for the lamp and see if the fault goes away. If yes, then look for the faulty earth. If no, you have only lost a few minutes testing it.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Lets think about this . If you rotate and push in how far in does the connector go in. If you push in and rotate what happens. When you rotate the outer collar does the inside receptacle turn or stays straight meaning is the collar attached to the female part of the connector. I'm trying to understand if there is a double lock where the collar comes out and then the inside connector comes out with the bulb unit. Looking at the front of the headlight I can see maybe 6 LED's in that cluster . I agree it should not be that hard to get the unit out. Do you have a dealer near you to ask them how it's done.