XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anyone reading Jaguar World

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Default Anyone reading Jaguar World

I just picked up a copy of Jaguar World , Feb edition and it has a comparison article on an XKR 5.0 to an F-Type 5.0. Interesting summary and based on my test drive I guess you can say we are pretty much in sync. with each other. For those who picked up a copy what's your thoughts.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Oi, I want that copy. Where do I get it?

Old 03-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Oi, I want that copy. Where do I get it?
It is published in the UK so try their web site to see where you can get a copy. :: Welcome to Jaguar World ::

Old 03-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello Jagtoes!I read the article...I didn't have the chance to drive a F-type but I can agree on a few points with Mister Walton who wrote it.I have seen the 2 cars side by side and I can only agree that our XKRs look far prettier:the rear is too short on the F-type or is it that the XKR...just looks more elegant,with better proportions.
F-type more noisy but more artificial?Well,another plus for the XKR!
I think that if Jaguar would have taken the effort to update the interior a bit further,it would have been perfect.(I still try to understand why they never bothered giving us a few extra gauges such at coolant temp,bat charge...

Phil

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I bought a few news stand copies before my kids got me a subscription. They got me a back issue special on the XJS. I like that they do comparisons between a current model against an earlier similar model. They also cover a wide range of vintage models every month.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I think I must have pretty much every edition since it was launched as I find it to be the best Jaguar related magazine.

I moved from paper to an electronic copy in 2011 which are far easier to keep to hand as I can save them in PDF format so make for a good source for fact finding or for reading on my iPad on long plane trips. I just wish I had time to actually read them as I am around 6 months behind at the moment!

Old 03-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Received 334 Likes on 201 Posts

I just signed up for a digital subscription. $39 bucks a year. Now I can read it anywhere..anytime..anyplace. Ya gotta love technology.

https://pocketmags.com/viewmagazine....#5243f9bb35788

Old 03-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I took an F-Type for a test drive and it was a fun little trip. It was barely over freezing temperature-wise so the top was up the whole time. This one was the F-Type R AWD. While our XKRs move pretty well when they finally gain traction, this little thing took right off. The actual power beyond that was negligible, but still quite a hoot.
The one thing I found that I did NOT like AT ALL was the C-Pillar in the convertible. Every time I changed lanes I took a look over my left shoulder and all I could see was the inside of the roof. I suppose I could become accustomed, but it was definitely different.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

The F Type destroys the XK in terms of power, traction/handling and acceleration even the V8S is much faster than even my XKRS.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:16 PM

Hello Schwabe!Looking at the racing horses you have in your stable (waw!),no one will contest you are right as you have the pleasure to drive both 'in the flesh'!I guess the newbie was going to be better in performance anyway but the article gives also good points to the xkr:suspension less hard,steering less acurate but more connecting...
Ok...THE question...which one of your 'children' do you prefer?

Old 03-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I think you are comparing apples and oranges. The F-Type is a sports car and XKR is a GT. The F-Type will eat the XKR in the twisties or on a track. But, take a road trip and the XKR will beat the F-type for comfort and capacity every time. Each car serves a different purpose.

I say that after having an F-type R for four days courtesy of Jaguar, North America. Being able to play with the F-Type convinced me to stay with an XKR. Not that the F-type R is a bad car, it just isn't for an old geezer like me.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:21 AM

Hello Schwabe!The start of the discussion was an article in Jaguar World putting an XKR and a F-TYPE R head to head to discover if it was true the new took over as its sport model.Perhaps a difficult task (apples and oranges?) but interesting enough...as the XKR has still a few jokers in her hand...

Old 03-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Different cars for sure. I personally prefer the ride in the XK (my car) versus the F-Type (my wife's car).

The XK is definitely more GT, calmer, more composed, swallowing the road more. The F-Type is harder, harsher and more nervous. Even the 495HP V8S has been faster around Laguna Seca by 4 seconds compared to the XKRS and 2 seconds when compared to the F Type R RWD.

Both my cars have the reduced pulley and tune, both are around 600whp and pull very strong. The biggest difference I believe in the F-Type is the 8 gear transmission and therefor shorter 2nd and 3rd gear as well as a possibly a different programming for the torque converter/TCU. The F-Type just puts power down much faster and harder than the XKRS.

Our F Type also has a Capristo exhaust which is incredibly loud. It really has turned into a bruiser and my wife loves it. Compared to that my XKRS is really subdued when you drive it, coupe versus loud exhaust in a vert.

Phil1 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

The XKR hangs on to a very British but dying characteristic of grace. It was part of the Grace- Pace- Space mantra. Rolls Royce has always retained it no matter the power. The XKR is quite possibly the last car to have the dual persona of gentleman and hooligan.

rfr66 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I've never driven a F-type, so I can't speak to performance, but I have seen one side by side with a XKR and in my personal opinion, the XKR is a nicer looking car, not that there's anything wrong with the F-type, there isn't. I think its won "the most beautiful car money can buy" 2 years in a row...beating out Ferrari, Aston-Martin, Lamborghini, etc. Either way, you can't go wrong....just a matter of personal taste.

Queen and Country (03-14-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 06:23 PM

Yes,matter of taste surely.In the Jaguar World of April 16,there is a gentleman in page 18 who shares his views about the XKR and the F-TYPE.If I can summarise...Design:flowing lines for our XK,rear of F-TYPE,mmh.Interior:F-TYPE:better finish but claustrophobic,XKR lighter.Perfo and handling:F-TYPE quicker,better handling but exhaust can be annoying compared to nice rumble of the XKR.Ride:F-TYPE too firm for long journey.It seems the dsys of our XKR's are not over...

Old 03-15-2016, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

I had a test drive a few months ago of a F-type R AWD . Had it for about 2 hours and pretty much came to a lot of the same conclusions as the writer of the article did. If I were 20 years younger and had a skinnier *** I would no doubt have bought an F-Type. It was quick , had plenty of grip and tons of driving settings. It was tight inside which was good if I were younger and the infotainment system was a giant step over my XKR. The exhaust crackle and popping was great especially with the top down but on a 4 hour drive at highway speeds It wouldn't be to pleasant. Last was the ride as no matter what setting I had it in you could feel all of the road . So for me the XK is best suited for my needs but as I mentioned for the younger set it would be great fun.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I prefer the front of the f type and the rear of the XK, though that isnt to say that they would be a wonderful marriage.

Having had the f type for a day, ultimately I was glad to get back into the XKR. The f type (convertible) rode too hard for me and the interior was a little lacklustre (base model) and I thought that the exhaust noise tried a little too hard and I was tired of it after 10 minutes with the top down.

The steering I thought was on a par with the XKR for normal driving (I didnt track it). I was surprised by the gearbox though. I had my doubts about the 8 speed but it was lightning fast with good intervals in the supercharged six and fun with the paddles, it really made the XKR's 6 speed seem second rate when I got back into it. But then my missus had the same 8 speed in the XE 25T, and it isnt really much fun using the paddles in that car because the intervals are too close together, it is almost like driving a rotary.

I didnt use the stereo or tech in the f type but I am well and truly familiar with it from the XE. It is much better than the XK system as you would expect. The meridian stereo is awesome for rock and techno, whereas the B & W in the XKR is far better for acoustic.

The absence of room behind the seats was noticeable. I quite often throw a suit jacket or files into the rear seats of the XKR, or a couple of dogs from time to time. The seats of the f-type are built into the bulkhead so nothing is getting behind there.

But my wife and daughters loved it (red 'vert with black wheels). It looked awesome.

Ultimately the test is usually whether your car feels daggy after you get back into it after driving a new one. The XKR doesnt, it was actually a relief to get back into it because of the ride, I had a sore back (base model seats). Unfortunately you cant get softer suspension for the f-type, even aftermarket (when I checked). But an f type with XE suspension settings would be enormously tempting as the ride and handling in the XE is pretty much perfect for a daily driver.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 03-15-2016 at 08:24 PM.