XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anyone in Santa Cruz, CA available to check out an XJ for sale there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 01:54 PM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Anyone in Santa Cruz, CA available to check out an XJ for sale there?

My wife and I live in Utah and are looking at an '11 XJ Supercharged in Santa Cruz, CA, and are hoping to find someone out there that'd be willing to go give it a look and a drive and report back. If you're willing, please shoot me a PM with what you feel would be a fair compensation for your time and how you'd like me to pay you, and I'll reply back with the contact info for the seller. This is a bit short notice as we would ideally like to head out this weekend to bring it home, but can wait until next weekend if our timeframe conflicts with your schedule.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to working with whomever replies.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandrake
My wife and I live in Utah and are looking at an '11 XJ Supercharged in Santa Cruz, CA, and are hoping to find someone out there that'd be willing to go give it a look and a drive and report back. If you're willing, please shoot me a PM with what you feel would be a fair compensation for your time and how you'd like me to pay you, and I'll reply back with the contact info for the seller. This is a bit short notice as we would ideally like to head out this weekend to bring it home, but can wait until next weekend if our timeframe conflicts with your schedule.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to working with whomever replies.
Holee ***** of shyte.... I haven't seen you around here for a few years.
Replacing the XKR or getting a sedan for funs?

Last edited by Cee Jay; 09-22-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:33 PM

Yeah, it has been a minute. Covid, career changes with a shift towards work from home for both of us, and plans to sell the houses and move east in a little over a year have kept us pretty busy. Still have the XKR, but what with the WFH thing, she doesn't need that AWD XJL she has. So we're looking to sell that and replace it with an XJ with a supercharged 5.0.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

There must be a Jaguar dealer near Santa Cruz. Ask the seller if he would take that XJ to the dealer to perform a Pre Purchase Inspection at your expense to the Jaguar CPO standards using the checklist. If he agrees, call that dealer and make the arrangements, including estimates of the parts and labor to repair faulty items. You can use that checklist to negotiate a lower price, which may be able to cover the cost of that PPI.

If the seller says no, then he's got something to hide. Run, don't walk away.

P.S. I recommend looking for a 2013 or newer XJ because that's when the 8-speed transmission, Meridian Surround Sound system, and Bosch ECU were introduced and the notorious roof popping noises were fixed. And yes, the 5.0LSC engine is a beast! Ask me how I know.

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-22-2021 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added P.S
Old 09-22-2021, 06:59 PM

Thanks, Stuart. I appreciate that suggestion.

I'm honestly not a fan of the 8HP. It's what my wife's car has and there's no engine braking compared to my XKR. We figured that was just because she has the V6 and the heaviest version- an L with AWD- but when I drove a friend's recently acquired '15 XF-RS with the 8HP and the V8, I experienced the same lack of engine braking. I mean, it's there, but just like her car, you have to bang down three or four years to get what the 6HP gives you in one or two gear drops. I also felt no difference in acceleration between his car and mine, and feel that the broad torque delivery of the 5.0L SC better utilizes the extra time between shifts in the 6HP than a V6 would. Conversely, I believe that the extra two gears of the 8HP are beneficial for the smaller engine in a heavy car like the XJL AWD.

Anyway, that's just my take. Otherwise, the 8HP is a fantastic, seamless transmission that is so good, you don't even know it's there.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:06 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Can’t help with the inspection as I’m in DC, but can say I have a 2011 XJL supercharged. It’s pretty darn quick and has been pretty reliable for the 8 years I’ve had it. Good luck!