XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anyone try this gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Default Anyone try this gauge

I saw this obdII gauge adapter and was wondering if anyone has tried it. It seem based on the description that it shows obdII info on the center screen of the instrument package.
Auto Meter DL1061U Gray Dash Control OBDII Display Controller | eBay

Old 06-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

It's a nice idea but the listing says Gray Dash Control OBDII Display Controller, For 2014-2016 Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, nothing about Jaguar XK... it would be a model specific thing, not compatible with our cars..

Old 06-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

The linked part is for the '14 and up Chevy to adapt their display to do OBDii stuff according to Jegs.

Auto Meter DL1061U: DashControl Display Controller 2014-Up Chevy/GMC Truck/SUV | JEGS

The video sells it differently though. Interesting.

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
It's a nice idea but the listing says Gray Dash Control OBDII Display Controller, For 2014-2016 Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, nothing about Jaguar XK... it would be a model specific thing, not compatible with our cars..
I understand but maybe a discussion with the mfg. would determine if it would function. Just curious to see if anyone has tried this whether it be with an XK or any other vehicle.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:33 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

This looks interesting. The instrument cluster controller and OBD socket are both on the CAN BUS so it might be possible to make it work on our cars. I sent them an inquiry to see if the XK is currently supported or if it could be. I am not holding my breath as Jaguar is not on their list of supported cars.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:56 PM

I contacted Auto Meter about availability on our cars. Here is their response:

David,

Thanks for your interest in AutoMeter products. These units are extremely make, model, and year dependent. I would very surprise if this worked on any make, model and year of GM vehicle that the device wasn't designed for, let alone working for a totally different make, and I would recommend against trying this.

We don't have any plans to develop one of our DashLink devices for your vehicle currently but, maybe in the future if we see demand.

Otherwise you could always just get an electric temperature gauge for this vehicle in order to monitor this parameter. If you would like any recommendations or have a particular gauge style look in mind I can help direct you to a standalone water temperature gauge.

Best regards,

The following 2 users liked this post by davchr:
jagtoes (06-02-2017), Ranchero50 (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 06:11 PM

I know a guy who was able to edit/modify the instrument cluster software in a Land Rover to display additional information in the LCD panel (albeit an older, less complex unit, with a plain LCD).

I have asked him on several occaisions if he would be interested in doing this for other models, the answer was no, regardless of offering cash or other incentives.

It's a matter of reverse engineering the hardware and software together, which was a big job on a "simple" instrument cluster, and would be much more complicated on a unit one like the XK with the bigger colour screen, more coding, etc...

Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

It's a real pity that there isn't an on board diagnostic mode for these cars. At least a way to scroll through temps, pressures and voltage.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

I know a guy who was able to edit/modify the instrument cluster software in a Land Rover to display additional information in the LCD panel (albeit an older, less complex unit, with a plain LCD).

I have asked him on several occaisions if he would be interested in doing this for other models, the answer was no, regardless of offering cash or other incentives.

It's a matter of reverse engineering the hardware and software together, which was a big job on a "simple" instrument cluster, and would be much more complicated on a unit one like the XK with the bigger colour screen, more coding, etc...
I wouldn't be looking to put the info on the large LCD screen but on the screen in between the speedo and tach. Around the fuel gauge or above it. Unfortunately I don't have the skills but based on the answer from the mfg. I bet this could be done .

Old 06-02-2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I wouldn't be looking to put the info on the large LCD screen but on the screen in between the speedo and tach. Around the fuel gauge or above it. Unfortunately I don't have the skills but based on the answer from the mfg. I bet this could be done .
I was talking about the screen in the instrument cluster between the gauges.

Yes for sure it could be done but the costs and time involved in making it happen are very prohibitive.

You need at least one spare instrument cluster to disassemble
You need to read the file from the PROM wth a special device
You need the specs of the PROM in order to decompile the data
You need someone who knows how to interpret and edit that data
You need an SDD to flash the files to the cluster
You need a car to test it on
You need many hours, days, weeks? to do all that

And whoever is doing it needs to be motivated, with an incentive to do it.

There's only one guy I know who has done anything like this before (on the Land Rover) but he has no interest in doing it for other vehicles.

EDIT

There was/is a similar device, again for Land Rovers, a diagnostic tool which plugs into the OBD port and you control it via the steering wheel controls, and it takes over the LCD panel in the instrument cluster. So for the Land Rover unit it would be possible, in theory.

However that is not the exact same instrument cluster as the Jag XK/XF

Last edited by Cambo; 06-02-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

I was talking about the screen in the instrument cluster between the gauges.

Yes for sure it could be done but the costs and time involved in making it happen are very prohibitive.

You need at least one spare instrument cluster to disassemble
You need to read the file from the PROM wth a special device
You need the specs of the PROM in order to decompile the data
You need someone who knows how to interpret and edit that data
You need an SDD to flash the files to the cluster
You need a car to test it on
You need many hours, days, weeks? to do all that

And whoever is doing it needs to be motivated, with an incentive to do it.

There's only one guy I know who has done anything like this before (on the Land Rover) but he has no interest in doing it for other vehicles.

EDIT

There was/is a similar device, again for Land Rovers, a diagnostic tool which plugs into the OBD port and you control it via the steering wheel controls, and it takes over the LCD panel in the instrument cluster. So for the Land Rover unit it would be possible, in theory.

However that is not the exact same instrument cluster as the Jag XK/XF
I didn't say it would be easy but if the engineers at Autometer did it for GM products then it could be done for Jaguar. Whether anyone wants to or someone pays to have it done is another question. We are the bottom of the pile for these type of mods but my bet is if they are successful with GM they will do Ford and Chrysler and maybe others. Just thinking out loud.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
It's a real pity that there isn't an on board diagnostic mode for these cars. At least a way to scroll through temps, pressures and voltage.
Do you mean like this

Old 06-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=u102768;1696579]Do you mean like this

Yes that's the area but would like to customize it to show OBDII outputs . Just need water temp and battery voltage and all would be good. We continue to dream but have to be resolved that it will never happen.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
Do you mean like this

https://youtu.be/hiOg67L5f4k
And how was this done please?

Old 06-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
And how was this done please?
With the car off, press and hold the left stalk toggle button and start the car then release the toggle button. Cluster should go into self test mode. Nothing terribly useful though.

Have you done the NAV TSD diagnostics mode before? Much more interesting.

EDIT: sorry wrong button, revised above

Last edited by jahummer; 06-03-2017 at 08:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
ralphwg (06-04-2017), Sean W (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 10:28 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I have used a ScanGauge for about four years. It is quite "thin" and fits nicely (velcroed) on top of my steering wheel "pad". I tuck the excess wiring into the dash panel. Currently Amazon sells it for $156.42.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
With the car off, press and hold the left stalk toggle button and start the car then release the toggle button. Cluster should go into self test mode. Nothing terribly useful though.

Have you done the NAV TSD diagnostics mode before? Much more interesting.

EDIT: sorry wrong button, revised above
Which button for the cluster self test mode? I pushed the trip button on the end of the left stalk, started the car and the cars VIN was displayed until I release the trip button. No self test mode. (2012 XK)

How do you enter the NAVTSD diagnostics mode?

thanks

Old 06-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
Do you mean like this

https://youtu.be/hiOg67L5f4k

So if you know what the analog inputs are and how the value span relates to a given reading then you can decipher them. It also looks more chassis self test vs. display self test. Very interesting.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rey
I have used a ScanGauge for about four years. It is quite "thin" and fits nicely (velcroed) on top of my steering wheel "pad". I tuck the excess wiring into the dash panel. Currently Amazon sells it for $156.42.
I was thinking of going the same way but I have a few questions. Does the scan gauge stay ON after you shut down and lock the car or do you unplug it after every drive. I do have and have used the torque pro but it is a PITA to keep turning on the app and then exiting the car after the drive.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts

Any person whether crazy or not that would be willing to do the research for giving us poor 5.0 XK owners a temp guage should qualify for the medal of honor! I would suggest start sendingout contributions for this project (if feasable) and you guys know that most of you would reach deep deep into your pockets if one was available! I know I would. Not having one is like jumping out of a plane without a parachute! I wish someone would look further into it. If it's made for Chevy, why doesn't someone get one for Jaguar? Money??? I know personally I would be willing to pay Mucho Dollars for a Temp Guage. Just name the price! Thanks all. Sorry for the rant.