XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anyone try this gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Use an OBD tool with live data and one of the items is temp.

For me a $5-10 elm327 and any android device is good enough.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Use an OBD tool with live data and one of the items is temp.

For me a $5-10 elm327 and any android device is good enough.
A cable hanging down from under the dash of a one time $100,000 car turns me off. Yes it might get the job done, but not what most owners expected from the factory. I don't find it acceptable, but for the time being it's the only choice we have for those who are determined to keep their cars and actually want to know what "truly" is going on with the temperature. Most others (including anyone leasing just won't care).

Old 06-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Originally Posted by davchr
Which button for the cluster self test mode? I pushed the trip button on the end of the left stalk, started the car and the cars VIN was displayed until I release the trip button. No self test mode. (2012 XK)

How do you enter the NAVTSD diagnostics mode?

thanks
You have to hold the button for 5 seconds or more before releasing it. From the touch screen, press and hold your finger in the top middle of the screen until a pin code screen comes up. There are several 3 digit codes that will bring up various diagnostics 660, 661, 662

Old 06-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by davchr
Which button for the cluster self test mode? I pushed the trip button on the end of the left stalk, started the car and the cars VIN was displayed until I release the trip button. No self test mode. (2012 XK)

How do you enter the NAVTSD diagnostics mode?

thanks
Same, I just got the VIN to pop up. Held it for various lengths without change.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I don't know if it works on all model years and it is a bit fiddly to get it to work but the official instructions are:

1. Press and hold the stalk trip cycle button for more than five seconds but less than eight seconds, whilst briefly pressing the vehicle START button. There is no display to initially indicate that the cluster has entered ETM. If ETM has successfully been entered then 'ENGINEERING TEST MODE’ will be displayed in the Message Centre when the stalk trip button is released.

2. To navigate forward through the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode tests, press the stalk trip cycle button.

Details attached.

Last edited by u102768; 06-04-2017 at 09:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
ralphwg (06-07-2017), Ranchero50 (06-04-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
A cable hanging down from under the dash
No need for a cable.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
No need for a cable.
The cable comment comes in for those who want a permanent gauge that shows water temp and voltage. We all realize that the Torque Pro /ELM combination is a nice feature but requires that you place your cell phone or tablet in the car and then take it with you after the drive. So if you are just driving down to the mall or a store it becomes a PITA. So far there is not a simple gauge set that you can fix in the car and leave it while you go about your business. The SCANGAUGE product lets you do this but it has a cable that plugs into the OBDII port. It is small and compact and would do the trick but just to bad it can't be BT.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

I thought I read that a permanent OBDii connection plugged in drains the battery. I would assume that the scan tool has a remote on / off switch so your not fighting under the dash as much.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I thought I read that a permanent OBDii connection plugged in drains the battery. I would assume that the scan tool has a remote on / off switch so your not fighting under the dash as much.
That's going to depend upon the manufacturer. The HKS Camp2, plugged in permanently, turns on and off with the car, as it is also wired in to the electrical.
My small wifi plug in, for use with my iphone, needs to be turned on manually, via a button on it, but it shuts off by itself a short while after the car turns off, so no battery drain.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The cable comment comes in for those who want a permanent gauge that shows water temp and voltage. We all realize that the Torque Pro /ELM combination is a nice feature but requires that you place your cell phone or tablet in the car and then take it with you after the drive. So if you are just driving down to the mall or a store it becomes a PITA. So far there is not a simple gauge set that you can fix in the car and leave it while you go about your business. The SCANGAUGE product lets you do this but it has a cable that plugs into the OBDII port. It is small and compact and would do the trick but just to bad it can't be BT.

On the gauge cluster, you're spot on Jagtoes, but adding the missing gauges to the touch screen has been done via HKS Camp2 and since those are so rare and expensive, I modified mine to use a basic android media streamer loaded with torque Pro and auto start. It operates on BT and doesn't interfere with the phone's BT.

I also incorporated the back up camera because I ruined my neck in my youth checking out rear ends of young ladies.

There's nothing inconvenient about it and it isn't hard to install.

There are BT dongles that go into sleep mode, BT dongles that have on/off buttons, but 90% of you or more have your cars on CTEK so the minuscule drain is irrelevant.

It can be done for under $300, including the GVIF.

I get and wish that Jaguar had the temp and voltage gauges on the cluster but they don't. If you can do the attached, then adding the android box is the easy part. Mine is velcroed to the inside to the boot. All wires are hidden. Setup is simple and can be done by plugging it to your TV.

I have my Torque Pro App set up to launch on startup of the android box using the free app "AutoStart". I also have my Torque Pro app set up to launch on the gauge screen and so there is no work other than selecting the Nav screen to view them.

Mine is set up to show Voltage, Temp, LTFT's and vacuum. I would love to have engine temp but Jaguar didn't install a sensor so there is nothing for torque pro to read.

I'll snap a pic and upload the next time i'm in the car.

I know it's not what we all prefer, but it is effective and you don't need your phone for it. I'll see if I can do a video demo.

Attached Files

Last edited by Sean W; 06-05-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I ruined my neck in my youth checking out rear ends of young ladies.

I would love to have engine temp but Jaguar didn't install a sensor so there is nothing for torque pro to read.
Sean the engine temp is really easy to do if you are up for it.
Under $15
And this unit does not even require an external power source.
Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Default Here is the video

Never set up a video before so feel free to boot me off the forum if it doesn't work

The following 3 users liked this post by Sean W:
Cee Jay (06-05-2017), Queen and Country (06-05-2017), ralphwg (06-07-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

That's a great set up only it requires taking part of the dash apart and modifying some wires. The results are fine but getting there is the issue.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
That's a great set up only it requires taking part of the dash apart and modifying some wires. The results are fine but getting there is the issue.
No not really Jagtoes. The two devices are in the boot. The two wires run to the ashtray (see the PDF) is actually only one for the android. The other wire is an RF remote that you use the set up the resolution. Flyc2c left his in the center cubby but you can just unplug it and store it away once you've set it up because I doubt you'll touch it again. The primary connection is to the NAV box (and yes NAV still works, this is just added). Again, see the PDF above.

The only wire that would be modified on the car is adding a reverse wire from the GVIF to the reverse wire at the Aux junction box and you would only do that if you add a backup camera. You may need to add a diode with that back up camera but I didn't and mine works fine.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

you do need to remove the drivers side of the center console and the shift plate. That's a ten minute job though, but there is no dash work.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,506 Likes on 3,239 Posts

Never set up a video before so feel free to boot me off the forum if it doesn't work

I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a GVIF today, probably will tomorrow.
About the Android.... what will work? Anything with Torque? I have given away all my old phones, but I still have a cruddy old tablet with a poor battery... will that work? I understand it only needs bluetooth, but two instances, one for the phone-to-car and another for the Torque to OBD, but then where does the video come from?
Maybe I missed that part................. micro-usb out from the Android?

Old 06-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
About the Android.... what will work? Anything with Torque? I have given away all my old phones, but I still have a cruddy old tablet with a poor battery... will that work? I understand it only needs bluetooth, but two instances, one for the phone-to-car and another for the Torque to OBD, but then where does the video come from?
You could use a tablet but you need some outbound ports and you'd have to turn it on and off every time.

MEDIA BOX - A bit about the media box
I used Tronsmart Draco AW80, which is out of manufacture, but also irrelevant that it is because you can continue to update android OS if you choose to. There are cheaper ones out there.
It’s an Android Media server and currently runs on lollipop. These boxes are commonly used to connect to TV via HDMI cable and stream video or convert your TV to a tablet. When you first plug it into the TV, it resembles any Android tablet.

Whichever box you choose, and there are many, you want the following for an easy install. You can get them with these features starting at around $60. Though you plug them into the wall, they convert and operate on 12 volts (some on 5 volts).

Must be an Android media box
Preloaded with Google Play
Must support Bluetooth
Wireless
One HDMI output (but RCA will do)
Two USB ports – one for wireless dongle and one to power the HDMI to RCA converter
Power on at plug in
- this one is important unless you want to break open the box to hard wire it to power on in your car. The box can be stored in you glove box but mine is in the boot. Otherwise you’ll have to turn it on every time.
Don’t worry though, most of the older models plug in to start and there is no power switch and that’s a good thing. just power it to the same source as your GVIF box, though if it's powered by 5 volts you need a small inverter.

Here's an example:
MINIX NEO X6 Android Quad Core Smart TV BOX Wireless WiFi Streaming Media Player | eBay

Cee Jay (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

This was my original write up on it. I'd advise trying to find a box with 12volt plug in vs 5 volt. I'd also ignore the link the flyc2c's setup as he also installed the HKS Camp2 at the same time. Instead, use the PDF I uploaded above. I removed all of the HKS Camp2 noise.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/

Old 06-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,506 Likes on 3,239 Posts

This was my original write up on it. I'd advise trying to find a box with 12volt plug in vs 5 volt. I'd also ignore the link the flyc2c's setup as he also installed the HKS Camp2 at the same time. Instead, use the PDF I uploaded above. I removed all of the HKS Camp2 noise.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/
Thanks for all the info, more for me to digest before I actually do anything.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I sent a couple of links CeeJay with details about what will work.

You want the media player to have Google Play so you can download the two apps (Torque Pro and Autostart). Then I just plugged into my TV to set it all up - large screen. That's all the wifi is for.

Bluetooth dongle goes into the OBDII port and that's what you connect to the BT in the android box. If you already have the dongle for elm, use it to connect to the media box. So you're just downloading the app to the box and you can remove it from your phone entirely.

Your phone just connects to the car's BT so there's no interdependency.

HDMI comes out of the android box and connects to the GVIF box. I used this:
Mini Composite 1080P HDMI to RCA Audio Video AV CVBS Adapter Converter For HDTV | eBay

Power of my box is 12 volt so I bought this pigtail and wired it to the same power source as GVIF:
Male DC 2 Wire Power Pigtail CCTV Security Camera 2.1mm x 5.5mm Plug Connector | eBay

Then I bought GVIF here:
Car GVIF Video Interface Adapter for Lexus, Toyota, Land Rover, Nissan, Jaguar

Cee Jay (06-05-2017)