XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Apple Car Play / Android Auto using stock display and controls!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,266 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by neven.gordic
So I just need to enable USB "option" using SDD? I do not have to install any additional hardware?
That's the theory and I should have it in later today or tomorrow.

Old 07-22-2024, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

I’ve connected the kit and having an issue with it timing out to a black screen and won’t revert to the OEM Home Screen. That said I was able to connect CarPlay and play some tunes on my phone. There is a USB cable and an option in the screen to play music. I’ll burn some tunes on a thumb drive to test. If I can stream tunes from the thumb drive, no need to search for another option. Will also confirm that it charges the phone. Solving the blank screen is the next priority though.

The following users liked this post:
neven.gordic (07-24-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

I’ve connected the kit and having an issue with it timing out to a black screen and won’t revert to the OEM Home Screen. That said I was able to connect CarPlay and play some tunes on my phone. There is a USB cable and an option in the screen to play music. I’ll burn some tunes on a thumb drive to test. If I can stream tunes from the thumb drive, no need to search for another option. Will also confirm that it charges the phone. Solving the blank screen is the next priority though.

Old 07-24-2024, 03:02 AM
Received 37 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Its still something! Keep us updated. Good luck!

P.S. Before installing the kit, you just enabled USB option using SDD, right?

Old 07-24-2024, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by neven.gordic
Its still something! Keep us updated. Good luck!

P.S. Before installing the kit, you just enabled USB option using SDD, right?
@neven.gordic correct. The unit they've sent me appears to be defective. I've sent them videos of my connection and this morning followed all of their suggestions to no avail. Upon turning on the ignition, Mr. 12 volt kit shows on the screen instead of the OEM screen and it won't allow access to the OEM screen. I am still working with them and will keep this thread updated.

The following 4 users liked this post by Sean W:
bgpenguin21 (07-24-2024), DGL (07-24-2024), kj07xk (07-24-2024), neven.gordic (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Worked with vendor again and they can't figure out the problem remotely so they are sending me another unit. My goal is next Friday assuming it arrives in a timely manner. Sorry for the delay. I will say that they have been responsive so that's a plus:-)

The following 8 users liked this post by Sean W:
arenaej (07-25-2024), bgpenguin21 (07-25-2024), DGL (07-25-2024), gmuirnz (07-25-2024), kj07xk (07-25-2024), remedy (07-25-2024), V7Sport (07-26-2024), wymjym (07-25-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-26-2024, 03:30 AM
Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

So, there is zero chance to get it working on a 2008 model without messing with the CCF?

My dealer told me to get bent, they don't use SSD anymore.

Old 07-26-2024, 12:03 PM
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Would’ve been nice to also see the company offer a core swap or sending out a unit already installed and you send back the core .. but guess that’s a big amount of work on their end too. Looking forward to see how things work out !

The following 2 users liked this post by myexcursion:
Sean W (07-26-2024), XKDreams (08-04-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 02:57 PM
Dev
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I updated my touch screen by adding USB. I should be able to find time to install this week. I have Cambo's set up removed for this experiment. Thus far, install duration between MR. 12 Volt and Old Jaguar are similar and not worth quibbling over. Old Jaguar version has both wired and wireless. This matters to me as I have no USB ports in my 07, so that's a plus for the Old Jaguar version.

The other (notable?) difference is that Old Jaguar sound is hard wired into the speaker connector and Mr. 12 Volt uses the OEM MOST network for sound. Hearing impaired here but was never impressed with the OEM sound system. Will give feedback on that too once installed. My wife hears better than I and she'll call out any difference.
Correct, I don't think a lot of people realise how **** the audio is within the XK(R). Maybe it's because I have younger ears then most Jaguar owners, but standard infotainment system is craptastic when it comes to audio.

Coming from an over the top audio system(My Volvo V60 with BW system) into the XKR was such a disappointed. Then I installed the Tesla screen and the difference was night and day. Having Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in your car is nice, but when the audio remains OEM quality, I would highly recommend people to look at the Tesla screen.

arenaej (07-27-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 10:48 PM
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Can someone explain to me if these wireless CarPlay adapters would work (at <$100US) versus the option we are discussing now (approaching $500US)? Is it the lack of a video card?

Old 07-29-2024, 07:11 AM
Received 308 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedmaster
Can someone explain to me if these wireless CarPlay adapters would work (at <$100US) versus the option we are discussing now (approaching $500US)? Is it the lack of a video card?
A wireless CarPlay adapter only works with a car that has factory CarPlay already installed…it makes the plug in your iPhone CarPlay wireless…

Old 07-29-2024, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by arenaej
A wireless CarPlay adapter only works with a car that has factory CarPlay already installed…it makes the plug in your iPhone CarPlay wireless…
Thanks…as silly as my question felt to ask, I was having a hard time with it.

I guess I’ll be getting the CarPlay system if only to have more options than just coolant temp and volts. I’ve seen OBD sensors that show other stats like RPM and such.

Old 07-29-2024, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,483 Likes on 3,229 Posts

I guess I’ll be getting the CarPlay system if only to have more options than just coolant temp and volts. I’ve seen OBD sensors that show other stats like RPM and such.
I have every bit of Torque Pro on my TSD, but touch doesn't work. I have to use a wireless mouse or similar to move between the twelve screens and to click on anything. Works for me though!
It also has the possibility of all Android apps and such, but I never connected the audio output. Sean did though, I think. I'm too old to remember anything now. It's an "Android Media Box". No Android Auto though, but I'm sure Maps would work. No Touch is the bad part. There is a fix somewhere though, ask Sean. I don't think the parts are available for that now, or I'd a done it already. Kind of involved.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 07-29-2024 at 09:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
ralphwg (08-04-2024), steve_k_xk (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 09:44 AM
Received 308 Likes on 151 Posts

I use Torque on my Tesla style screen.

The following 2 users liked this post by arenaej:
Cee Jay (07-29-2024), Sean W (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I have every bit of Torque Pro on my TSD, but touch doesn't work. I have to use a wireless mouse or similar to move between the twelve screens and to click on anything. Works for me though!
It also has the possibility of all Android apps and such, but I never connected the audio output. Sean did though, I think. I'm too old to remember anything now. It's an "Android Media Box". No Android Auto though, but I'm sure Maps would work. No Touch is the bad part. There is a fix somewhere though, ask Sean. I don't think the parts are available for that now, or I'd a done it already. Kind of involved.

Cee Jay - This has probably been asked before but how is your Torque Pro system set up? I am guessing you have an OBD cube and then how does it get to the screen like that? (Pretty cool setup, by the way.)

Old 07-29-2024, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Cee Jay - This has probably been asked before but how is your Torque Pro system set up? I am guessing you have an OBD cube and then how does it get to the screen like that? (Pretty cool setup, by the way.)
I followed what Sean W said in this thread. I use it every time I drive:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/

Old 07-29-2024, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I followed what Sean W said in this thread. I use it every time I drive:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/
Holy smokes...this is some serious reading and learning. The first thing that jumps out at me is that it is nearly identical or largely similar to what Mr12Volt is selling (though their product is CarPlay centric). Not asking you to opine or take sides, I am just pointing out that these "boxes" can have a pretty wide range of uses. Love that.

Thank you again for the guidance here. I am learning.

Cee Jay (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Holy smokes...this is some serious reading and learning. The first thing that jumps out at me is that it is nearly identical or largely similar to what Mr12Volt is selling (though their product is CarPlay centric). Not asking you to opine or take sides, I am just pointing out that these "boxes" can have a pretty wide range of uses. Love that.

Thank you again for the guidance here. I am learning.
Yep, looped in through the NAV cable instead of the AUX. There may be a way to have Android Auto (carplay) by installing it on the Media Box. I dunno.

Old 08-02-2024, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

I've connected the new kit and it's working as designed. I had the Old Jaguar CarPlay/ Android Auto installed and before that, the Tesla Style Unit. Time will tell how it holds up. I know that Cameron backs his products fully. Mr. 12 Volt is new to me so long term is unknown.

I received a kit earlier and noted the problems I was having with it above in earlier posts. I did have to document the install for them and also take photos of each step of the video board to the head unit install and it was a pain but they responded to me daily from, (I suspect) China. They sent me a new kit and the I connected it today.

It works but a couple things bug me. I have to toggle through the source buttons (steering wheel or integrated control panel) to return to the home screen, then toggle through it again, or select Portable Audio on the audio screen to return to CarPlay. Just a pain imo, but otherwise OK. I need to be in the home screen when I shut down so I get the OEM screens on start up.

Sound system is nowhere near as robust as the Tesla Units but is improved over the auxiliary sound from Old Jaguar. To what degree, the user will have to decide. Price point is in favor of the Mr. 12 Volt unit. Warranty? I can't say but as mentioned, I trust Old Jaguar.

YES Cee Jay, Android Auto works as expected too, as it does on Old Jaguars product. In your case, having your virtual gauges on your touch screen, you could add that to the Old Jaguar video interface, Not sure at all about the Mr. 12 Volt unit.

Last edited by Sean W; 08-02-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

I have the new kit installed but it appears the CarPlay app has a password. If any of you users have it, can you send it to me? I'd like to connect that before doing a review. Cheers
More importantly, does the Android Auto work? I already figured the CarPlay would have a built-in problem. I can't help you with that though.

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play / Android Auto using stock display and controls!