XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for XK

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 11:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Local shop quoted me $1600 for Apple Carplay on a 2010 XKR using naviplus. Is that a fair price?

Old 04-22-2021, 06:48 AM
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi.

Video Interface with HDMI for Volvo of 2015– MY

https://car-solutions.com/en/video-interface-with-hdmi-for-volvo-of-2015-my/

Anyone know if this HDMI - GVIF interface should work on our cars? I've asked on the website and told no it doesn't, but not sure why. If it takes a HDMI input and has an GVIF output then seems it might work, or are there different implementations of GVIF maybe? Tempted to give it a go.

Last edited by LockNumber25; 04-22-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:17 AM
d a
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

When you say "aux input enabled" is this some kind of physical interface or just soft program? Why wouldn't the audio plugged into the aux be instantly available at the head unit for touch selection?

Old 04-23-2021, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by d a
When you say "aux input enabled" is this some kind of physical interface or just soft program? Why wouldn't the audio plugged into the aux be instantly available at the head unit for touch selection?
Yes a software interface, using SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnostics) which was Jaguar's software management system. It has to be turned on. Look for an independent mechanic who uses SDD (works on Jaguars). They will probably charge you an hour labor or maybe 30 minutes. It actually takes about 15 minutes to turn it on.

The following users liked this post:
Yus (07-22-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Yes a software interface, using SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnostics) which was Jaguar's software management system. It has to be turned on. Look for an independent mechanic who uses SDD (works on Jaguars). They will probably charge you an hour labor or maybe 30 minutes. It actually takes about 15 minutes to turn it on.
IIRC the official Jaguar part comes with a little card talking about this. The half hour to an hour isn't unfair since you're moving trim around to get at the battery and putting it on the stable power supply, booting up the laptop, running the change and testing it works; then getting your car back together and off the juice. I say that as someone who did it themselves and has full SDD and also hates paying labor but an hour is very fair for this. I also happened to test the ipod connector, the wired aux in (with a 3.55mm -> Composite Audio -> Module), and the usb stick; which adds time too.

Yus (07-22-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by d a
Originally Posted by Sean W
Originally Posted by 80sRule
IIRC the official Jaguar part comes with a little card talking about this. The half hour to an hour isn't unfair since you're moving trim around to get at the battery and putting it on the stable power supply, booting up the laptop, running the change and testing it works; then getting your car back together and off the juice. I say that as someone who did it themselves and has full SDD and also hates paying labor but an hour is very fair for this. I also happened to test the ipod connector, the wired aux in (with a 3.55mm -> Composite Audio -> Module), and the usb stick; which adds time too.
Since d.a. has a 2010 believe he falls into the 5liter category with no Aux input. I don't know what year they eliminated that feature, for sure my '12 is absent the Aux input via headphone jack, only Ipod interface. Supposedly adding that to a 5.0 is not as straight forward as it is in the previous generation, at least that is what Cambo says.

Originally Posted by Cambo
There's a few issues right now which are keeping this "in-house"

1. you need to have the AUX input enabled for the audio from the CarPlay unit, this is easy enough in a 4.2L, but for the 5.0L a standard dealer tool cannot do it, and none of the aftermarket diagnostic tools can either. So that's a problem. Yes there are some other ways to get audio in to a 5.0L but they just add more expense to the exercise.

If it were a simple plug & play thing, it would be a different story...

The following 3 users liked this post by tampamark:
80sRule (04-23-2021), Sean W (04-23-2021), Yus (07-22-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
Since d.a. has a 2010 believe he falls into the 5liter category with no Aux input. I don't know what year they eliminated that feature, for sure my '12 is absent the Aux input via headphone jack, only Ipod interface. Supposedly adding that to a 5.0 is not as straight forward as it is in the previous generation, at least that is what Cambo says.
Good catch, my comment is applicable to earlier cars, NOT the 2010+, in general my knowledge is towards the 4.2L X150s .

The following 2 users liked this post by 80sRule:
Sean W (04-23-2021), Yus (07-22-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 02:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
There's a few issues right now which are keeping this "in-house"

1. you need to have the AUX input enabled for the audio from the CarPlay unit, this is easy enough in a 4.2L, but for the 5.0L a standard dealer tool cannot do it, and none of the aftermarket diagnostic tools can either. So that's a problem. Yes there are some other ways to get audio in to a 5.0L but they just add more expense to the exercise.

2. there is no off-the-shelf kit to suit the XK, we've been buying a kit for a totally different vehicle, and modifying it to work in the XK, by the time we put a kit together with all the parts, installation instructions, etc it's really expensive, i'm looking at other options which would make the overall cost more attractive, but it's never going to be as cheap as people want it to be. Essentially right now there is no profit in the kit at a "reasonable price", so selling it as a product isn't worthwhile, and after all the effort and expense that's gone into it, giving it away is not an option either (it's not just me here, there are several people involved, and one of them is vehement that it is not to be given away to anyone).

3. the installation is quite involved, takes a experienced installer a whole day to do this from start to finish. So there is quite a bit of cost there too if you are not making the install yourself, and it's beyond the DIY level for a lot of people, as you know from your Android adventures Sean.

If it were a simple plug & play thing, it would be a different story...
Hi Cambo--
I'm a newbie... but have a question regarding your statement #1 above-- having the AUX enabled.
Have an newly acquired '09 XKR.
Purchased the dongle to attach to the iPod connector, and the Chinese Bluetooth unit that goes on the end of the dongle.
Cannot find where the Jag Audio/AUX finds the iPhone Bluetooth connection.
1) Even though is displays the AUX on the touchscreen... would it first need to be "enabled" by the dealer?
2) Is the "Apple Play" a matter of programming, or is there a device to be purchased?
3) Should it be brought into the dealer to upgrade the firmware?

Thanks for the assistance.

Yus (07-22-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Is the Bluetooth dongle paired to the iPhone? Does the aux/iPod input work if you have the iPhone hardwired to the input? As you have the iPod kit already fitted from manufacture there is nothing further you need to do to activate it.

Yus (07-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 06:50 AM
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Just been talking to https://unique-ad.co.uk/ in the UK. They don't have an X150 solution but are planning to develop one, possibly by the end of the year. No other info yet but if it's like their other solutions it'll be touch screen, around £600 and a DIY fit. Will update when I hear more. Just thought some folks here might be interested.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:36 AM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LockNumber25
Just been talking to https://unique-ad.co.uk/ in the UK. They don't have an X150 solution but are planning to develop one, possibly by the end of the year. No other info yet but if it's like their other solutions it'll be touch screen, around £600 and a DIY fit. Will update when I hear more. Just thought some folks here might be interested.
I'll believe it when I see it. Meanwhile there is a new dongle out there for Bluetooth 5.0 CHOOCL Bluetooth 5.0 aptX-HD Adapter with iPod Cable for Range Rover, Land Rover, Jaguar Wireless Audio Interface Car Kit for 30 Pin iPod iPhone Music Interface
Amazon Amazon

The following 2 users liked this post by slash32487:
LockNumber25 (06-21-2021), Yus (07-22-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i a confused as this solution does not seem to require AUX enabled? What is this black magic? 🥴

Old 07-21-2021, 03:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So seems for the 2010+ people the only way to get this done on the US side of the pond is to go with the Tesla style head unit?

Certainly not my first choice but is something to consider I suppose.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello to all !

I am a new member of this forum and I am impressed by the richness of the questions treated and especially the solutions exchanged. Let me explain. In France, after having seen many professionals, well known ones, it seems that it is impossible to change anything on the audio system of the central console. Conclusion: outdated set, poor quality radio, recent Bluetooth, GPS also outdated! Jaguar France answer: buy a newer one.

The problem of the "Frenchy" who own a Jaguar XKR is that they are very few, so nobody helps them because nobody is interested in them.

And yet, not many means a few dozen who would be ready to pay what it takes for a system where we find a real radio/music MP3/GPS/Bluetoth while retaining the features settings of our Jaguar ...
What has been proposed by Cambo is it efficient and does it answer this demand. If so, I will rush to Mark !

Thanks for your answers

Old 08-13-2021, 07:26 PM
Received 305 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan

And yet, not many means a few dozen who would be ready to pay what it takes for a system where we find a real radio/music MP3/GPS/Bluetoth while retaining the features settings of our Jaguar ...
What has been proposed by Cambo is it efficient and does it answer this demand. If so, I will rush to Mark !

Thanks for your answers
I installed Cambo’s CarPlay kit in my ‘09 XK. My local Jaguar dealer activated aux audio, Cambo provided complete step by step instructions with lots of pictures. I opted for the wireless version and it has worked flawlessly for about a year. Highly recommended.

The following 9 users liked this post by arenaej:
billqs (04-08-2024), BobPhx (02-08-2023), Cambo (08-17-2021), Cee Jay (08-13-2021), EricW (09-08-2021), Sean W (08-13-2021), stran0020 (08-14-2021), SWCofer (08-07-2022), tberg (08-15-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-15-2021, 12:01 PM

Hello Arenaej, I am like Cabrio, on my interface I do not have the entry "aux" ... if I understood correctly this entry is essential to install the CarPlay system! It's a shame because it was a little expensive but simple solution. Tell me if I'm right

Old 08-15-2021, 12:04 PM

Voila mon tableau de bord !

lalavfr (02-13-2024)
Old 08-15-2021, 12:05 PM

Sorry, this is my dasheboard !

Old 08-15-2021, 02:22 PM
Received 305 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan
Hello Arenaej, I am like Cabrio, on my interface I do not have the entry "aux" ... if I understood correctly this entry is essential to install the CarPlay system! It's a shame because it was a little expensive but simple solution. Tell me if I'm right
Early X150’s didn’t have portable audio to connect an iPod. I know that there was a retrofit kit. From there you would have to activate auxiliary audio via SDD. Perhaps someone with more SDD experience could tell you if aux audio could be activated without the retrofit. My car is an ‘09. Aux didn’t appear on the screen as an option until it was activated.

Old 08-15-2021, 03:24 PM

Thanks Arenaej
I will check with a Jaguar dealer
Best regards
_

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for XK