XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for XK

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

The 2007 and 2008 XK/XKR models did not come from the factory with iPod/USB connectivity integrated with the touchscreen. To add this feature, you have to buy the genuine Jaguar accessory Audio Connectivity Module. You can install it yourself or have the dealer do it, but it must be configured using the Jaguar SDD software to enable it to be recognized by the Infotainment System to work properly.

iPod connectivity became standard equipment beginning with the 2009 models. Since my 2009 4.2L XKR Portfolio came from the factory with iPod connectivity as standard equipment, all iPod functions are controllable from the touchscreen and volume and song selection are also controlled by the steering wheel switches. I don't know if the ACM works the same way.

Although iPod connectivity did not initially include simultaneous music playback and iPod charging, there's an easy fix using a Scosche adapter instead of the more expensive second design cable.

Read these threads:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...le-acm-161512/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-module-85285/

How I did it:
My iPod Nano - Dedicated Music Player
And it still works great with all my favorite songs. I don't need anything else for music.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

My understanding is that it is not possible to activate AUX input on 5.0 L XKs. I have discussed this with several people on the Forum as well as different shop foremen at three different Jaguar dealers in the Los Angeles area. Additionally Cambo has informed me that he has researched this issue and not been able to solve it either.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:51 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

It is possible to activate the AUX in a 5.0L, but a dealer generally won't be able to help you with this, because they need to get an Engineering Mode password from JLR... and that's where the problem lays...

I was trying to find a way of getting the audio from the CarPlay box into the factory sound system via the factory USB or iPod, so far I haven't found anything that works...

There are devices that will take over control of the amplifier, to allow you to input an analogue signal, but they are damn expensive, and as far as I can tell don't give you any control over the tone or volume.

Like what is seen in this video

Originally Posted by Cabrio
i a confused as this solution does not seem to require AUX enabled? What is this black magic? 🥴
The AUX is a better solution, for a number of reasons... if you have a 4.2, then AUX is easy, if you have a 5.0 then it's a bit more complicated, but not impossible...

Old 09-05-2021, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a fascinating thread! I have a 2009 XK Convertible and live in California (San Francisco Bay Area). Cambo, do you have an installer here that can add Apple CarPlay? I had no idea just how awesome CarPlay IS until we recently bought a 2022 Honda Odyssey Touring Minivan !!!

NOW, I would like to explore how to get CarPlay into my 2009 XK !

Old 09-06-2021, 03:49 PM
Received 313 Likes on 154 Posts

Cambo provided great instructions with lots of pictures. He was very responsive when I had questions. Pretty good considering he’s on the other side of the world away from me. The install took me about 3 hours all in, but I was being careful and I’m old and slow. I had to have my local dealer activate the “aux” audio, but did the rest myself. The part I was concerned about was the need to disassemble the screen to modify the ribbon cables. Easy! I chose this solution because I wanted to keep the OEM controls and look, but get updated audio options as well as nav/maps with traffic. I have the wireless version and it works great. I did install the usb in the console for when I need to charge my phone.

USB to connect the phone for charging

The following users liked this post:
Cambo (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
My understanding is that it is not possible to activate AUX input on 5.0 L XKs. I have discussed this with several people on the Forum as well as different shop foremen at three different Jaguar dealers in the Los Angeles area. Additionally Cambo has informed me that he has researched this issue and not been able to solve it either.
Okay, I have a solution for activating the AUX in a 5.0L.

But in order for it to work, you will have to be on a friendly basis with the guys in the workshop at the Jaguar dealership.

I can send you a file, they copy this file into a folder of their SDD laptop, then they will be able to activate the AUX input without any password, without anyone further up the chain knowing what they have done.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cambo:
billqs (04-08-2024), Cee Jay (09-08-2021), kj07xk (09-08-2021), Mchammer (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 09:21 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Cambo sounds a really useful development - and many nights of testing! I had your apple car play solution installed by Cartronics. Would this in effect remove the need for the black button - so i can use the thumwheel and steering wheel controls. If that works how do i get my hands on the files ?

Old 09-08-2021, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Okay, I have a solution for activating the AUX in a 5.0L.

But in order for it to work, you will have to be on a friendly basis with the guys in the workshop at the Jaguar dealership.

I can send you a file, they copy this file into a folder of their SDD laptop, then they will be able to activate the AUX input without any password, without anyone further up the chain knowing what they have done.
I WANT THIS! I've been very sad for years that I couldn't do your mod, but now I can!
But, could I put your file into MY SDD and do the same thing? Is a specific SDD version required???

B SMITH (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:07 AM
d a
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Over time I've been reading several of these posts especially where the "aux" is being discussed. I would like to know what is so friking special about an auxiliary connection that would require a dealer-only activation? I've owned many cars and this is the only place where one, an auxiliary connection has to actually be activated, and two, it is a factory-only process. Is the aux in the jaguar tied to engine/drivetrain management? Pardon my ignorance.

V7Sport (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by d a
Over time I've been reading several of these posts especially where the "aux" is being discussed. I would like to know what is so friking special about an auxiliary connection that would require a dealer-only activation? I've owned many cars and this is the only place where one, an auxiliary connection has to actually be activated, and two, it is a factory-only process. Is the aux in the jaguar tied to engine/drivetrain management? Pardon my ignorance.
It's a retrofit kit and module, at least on my early X150, and the car needs to have the source enabled in order for the fitted kit to have the aux enabled. I know there's more functionality than the aux in with a bluetooth dongle on the 30pin apple connector, such as the USB port that you can use flash drives for music, the apple menus and steering controls related to it (if connecting apple device via that versus me with the bovee dongle) and such.

SDD is the factory software. I know in my earlier car, it was NOT locked into Engineering Mode, which requires a key to get into. There are generators and ways around that, and I've done it for other stuff, but this Audio Connectivity Kit had a function in SDD specifically for this. Very easy to do.

Maserati has the aux locked funny too on the GT of this era; you need a proxi file and their outrageous toolset like SD3 or newer. I've seen this type of locking down on other cars too.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mchammer
Thanks Cambo sounds a really useful development - and many nights of testing! I had your apple car play solution installed by Cartronics. Would this in effect remove the need for the black button - so i can use the thumwheel and steering wheel controls. If that works how do i get my hands on the files ?
He never bought a kit from us, and I haven't heard from him in more than a year. So he's put something else in, it's not ours.

From the pic you posted previously I can see you don't have the AUX activated so I guess they used one of the MOST bypass units, or some other method...

Old 09-08-2021, 07:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's funny because I was just searching for this topic outside of XKR. I have a 2013 with a plug-in bluetooth thing that works pretty well, but it's still a pain.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna try that.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:30 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

He never bought a kit from us, and I haven't heard from him in more than a year. So he's put something else in, it's not ours.

From the pic you posted previously I can see you don't have the AUX activated so I guess they used one of the MOST bypass units, or some other method...
Thats not good - I went to them after reading the posts and recommendation on here... its a bit rubbish if you do a lot of hard work Cambo only to have it plagiarised by someone else and not give you credit.... I would still be interested in how to enable the Aux...

Old 10-01-2021, 06:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mchammer
Thats not good - I went to them after reading the posts and recommendation on here... its a bit rubbish if you do a lot of hard work Cambo only to have it plagiarised by someone else and not give you credit.... I would still be interested in how to enable the Aux...
I had mine installed by Cartronics recently, 5.0 , no AUX , used a fibre optic switch ? Is that using MOST ?

thread here on the other forum -

https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...pgrade.129808/

Old 10-01-2021, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Andytc
I had mine installed by Cartronics recently, 5.0 , no AUX , used a fibre optic switch ? Is that using MOST ?
Yes, MOST = Media Oriented System Transport and that's your fiber optics system. Looks like the button bypasses it?

Andytc (10-01-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 04:12 AM

Okay so for those with 2010MY-onward 5.0L cars, this device will provide the AUX, by taking over the CD-changer

https://www.mr12volt.com/bluetooth-s...-mr12volt-p600

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Andytc (10-06-2021), kj07xk (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Okay so for those with 2010MY-onward 5.0L cars, this device will provide the AUX, by taking over the CD-changer

https://www.mr12volt.com/bluetooth-s...-mr12volt-p600
Interesting, but their web site says it’s only compatible with 2006-2007 XK and 2007-2008 XKR?

Old 10-17-2021, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello I am in the process of choosing between getting a 5.0L and a 4.2L, I was all but fixed on choosing the 5.0L until I found this thread. Being able to integrate a touchscreen CarPlay on the 4.2L is very exciting, but I just wanted to know if Cambo you were still selling the device, or have you discontinued it?

Donner (01-14-2022)
Old 11-26-2021, 10:20 PM
Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Product on AliBaba

Just ordered one of these Wireless CarPlay adapters for the XF/XK at the Black Friday discount price. It works through the Navigation video feed like the other systems discussed here. I hope it couples go the MOST loop … will report how it works.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002610275616.html

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for XK