XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for XK

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 04:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twhumphrey
Just ordered one of these Wireless CarPlay adapters for the XF/XK at the Black Friday discount price. It works through the Navigation video feed like the other systems discussed here. I hope it couples go the MOST loop … will report how it works.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002610275616.html
Interesting looking device. Do you know if it will leave the original map and reverse camera function available, or will it replace them like the ones discussed here?

Old 11-28-2021, 08:19 AM
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Product on AliBaba

Originally Posted by Tarapoochy
Interesting looking device. Do you know if it will leave the original map and reverse camera function available, or will it replace them like the ones discussed here?
I will give a full report once it gets here. May not be until January.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Just ordered one of these Wireless CarPlay adapters for the XF/XK at the Black Friday discount price. It works through the Navigation video feed like the other systems discussed here. I hope it couples go the MOST loop … will report how it works.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002610275616.html
Will be interesting. There is no MOST bus connection on the box, just the can bus. I'm guessing it'll have an on/off button as most of them do, to allow you to toggle between OEM and phone screen. As it mirrors your screen, you won't have touch screen functionality but it will probably come with a rotary knob that will allow you to control your phone.

I know they sell them in the UK and I thought someone on this forum installed one but I can't find the thread. Looking forward to your review.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by housmm1
I just purchased my 2009 XKR a few weeks ago, and the first project I contemplated was replacing the audio system altogether. After reading the many experienced and knowledgeable posts on the subject (with great thanks to Cambo and Queen & Country, in particular), I decided to keep the system intact (for now) and focus on what non-invasive improvements could be made. I wanted CarPlay, but not at the cost of a professional install or the risk of upsetting the delicate electrical system of the Jaguar if I opened the dash and messed with the wiring myself. However, I did find an aesthetically pleasing, wireless connecting and charging, CarPlay-like solution that didn't require any invasive or permanent modification of the car.

CarPlay emulator app on phone charging mount

Phone charging mount exposed

My first purchase was a Bovee 1000 bluetooth adapter with the Jaguar interface cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that connects to the iPod interface in the center console (CC). Again, this purchase was based on other posts and recommendations found in this forum. I believe the iPod interfaces in the CC were standard equipment in MY2009-2015, and was an option on earlier models. The Bovee unit got me bluetooth (BT) connectivity to the Infotainment System (IS) for audio and preserved separate BT connectivity to the IS's phone function.

This, however, still didn't allow me to use my iPhone's CarPlay functionality because the X150s' IS doesn't have CarPlay compatibility. Instead I added a CarPlay emulator app to my phone, which displays large icons for apps likely to be used while driving, such as Music, Navigation, Phone, Podcasts, Spotify, etc., without the need for a CarPlay compatible IS in the car. I just started using the app so I don't know the extent of its capabilities, but music and navigation seem to work fine, including allowing me to play my Playlists (located in the Cloud) through Apple Music, which was my primary concern. The one I used is a subscription based app, with monthly and yearly payment options. I paid for 1 month and am still trialing it. I've never actually had a car with CarPlay, so I won't be able to compare the two, but so far this seems to meet my limited needs.

CarPlay-like emulator home screen
Hey housmm1, what is the CarPlay emulator that you decided to use and how did it work? I am interested in a non-invasive alternative as well.

MOST importantly, it is wireless BT = no cables ... how is the audio quality over BT?

Last edited by JagXK2009; 12-12-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:11 PM
Default Phone prop for XK

I am completing work on two versions of a replacement ashtray for holding a phone in the center console of an XK.

For phones that fit in the ashtray, there is one version has an integrated Qi charger so when the phone is tilted into the ashtray space it
is automatically charged from the cigarette lighter.

For phones that don’t fit the second version provides a series of supports that a cell phone mount can be clipped to, instead of the vents on the dash:

Ashtray with dividers

Ashtray with Qi charger

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by JagXK2009
Hey housmm1, what is the CarPlay emulator that you decided to use and how did it work? I am interested in a non-invasive alternative as well.

MOST importantly, it is wireless BT = no cables ... how is the audio quality over BT?
The app looks like CarOS.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/caros-...d/id1327572153

I can testify the Bluetooth audio quality is excellent with the Bovee WMA1000. Another option is the newer CHOOCL Bluetooth 5.0 adapter. Both give you get full access to browse playlists, artists, tracks etc. under the Folders button on the audio screen.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I am completing work on two versions of a replacement ashtray for holding a phone in the center console of an XK.

For phones that fit in the ashtray, there is one version has an integrated Qi charger so when the phone is tilted into the ashtray space it

For phones that don’t fit the second version provides a series of supports that a cell phone mount can be clipped to, instead of the vents on the dash:

Ashtray with dividers
Ashtray with Qi charger
If I weren't installing Cabrio Bob's OBDII display, I'd elect for the Qi charger assuming it's held in place. Nice designs.

Old 12-13-2021, 04:04 PM
Default Qi Charging

Originally Posted by Sean W
If I weren't installing Cabrio Bob's OBDII display, I'd elect for the Qi charger assuming it's held in place. Nice designs.
The divider version can also be a Qi charger for a larger phone, if you clip a Qi charging phone holder to the ashtray, like this one:
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-14-2022, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm new to the forum, 2010 XK, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to link/connect an iPhone 13 Apple CarPlay? TIA

Old 01-15-2022, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

CarPlay didn’t exist in 2010 and the hardware wasn’t created and fitted to cars until recently. There are aftermarket replacements of the entire infotainment system available from China which are CarPlay compatible. Search this forum for the many threads that cover the topic.

Old 01-22-2022, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
I have one of my two versions up now on Shapeways. Look here:
Tom’s Shapeways Store

Old 01-22-2022, 04:26 PM

Ashtray with dividers

Ashtray with Qi charger
You can print my ashtrays here.

Tom’s Shapeways Store

Old 01-31-2022, 08:56 PM

Great solution. Is this available in the US?

Old 02-01-2022, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by gainerd
Great solution. Is this available in the US?
Yes US and overseas, anywhere Shapeways will ship it.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:55 AM

Cambo,

Thanks for sharing your solution. Hoping you can tell me what I need to buy and how to install it on my 2008 XK8.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:58 AM
Received 49 Likes on 9 Posts

i'm very keen to implement cambo's solution in my 07 XK. I definitely want the car play to work via touchscreen; I've seen some wireless CarPlay solutions and don't really like those as they don't seem very elegant.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

@Cambo just wondering if you are still able to do your magic with getting the aux enabled on my 5ltr / 2014. Happy to pay for the files ! Getting frustrated with the lack of control from steering wheels.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:10 AM
Default Ashtray charger

Originally Posted by housmm1
I just purchased my 2009 XKR a few weeks ago, and the first project I contemplated was replacing the audio system altogether. After reading the many experienced and knowledgeable posts on the subject (with great thanks to Cambo and Queen & Country, in particular), I decided to keep the system intact (for now) and focus on what non-invasive improvements could be made. I wanted CarPlay, but not at the cost of a professional install or the risk of upsetting the delicate electrical system of the Jaguar if I opened the dash and messed with the wiring myself. However, I did find an aesthetically pleasing, wireless connecting and charging, CarPlay-like solution that didn't require any invasive or permanent modification of the car.

CarPlay emulator app on phone charging mount

Phone charging mount exposed

My first purchase was a Bovee 1000 bluetooth adapter with the Jaguar interface cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that connects to the iPod interface in the center console (CC). Again, this purchase was based on other posts and recommendations found in this forum. I believe the iPod interfaces in the CC were standard equipment in MY2009-2015, and was an option on earlier models. The Bovee unit got me bluetooth (BT) connectivity to the Infotainment System (IS) for audio and preserved separate BT connectivity to the IS's phone function.

This, however, still didn't allow me to use my iPhone's CarPlay functionality because the X150s' IS doesn't have CarPlay compatibility. Instead I added a CarPlay emulator app to my phone, which displays large icons for apps likely to be used while driving, such as Music, Navigation, Phone, Podcasts, Spotify, etc., without the need for a CarPlay compatible IS in the car. I just started using the app so I don't know the extent of its capabilities, but music and navigation seem to work fine, including allowing me to play my Playlists (located in the Cloud) through Apple Music, which was my primary concern. The one I used is a subscription based app, with monthly and yearly payment options. I paid for 1 month and am still trialing it. I've never actually had a car with CarPlay, so I won't be able to compare the two, but so far this seems to meet my limited needs.

CarPlay-like emulator home screen

That was the easy part. I had been using a wireless phone charger with a vent mount, but it was obtrusive and, ultimately, would either slip off (or worse, cause damage to the vent) given the weight the vent was being asked to support. By happenstance, I found that my iPhone 8 in an Otter Box case, appx. 5.75" (14.5mm) x 2.75" (7.5mm), was a perfect fit in the ashtray, with the bottom of the phone (in a landscape/horizintal position) resting against the front lip of the open ashtray and the top of the phone resting against the vertical face of the console. This worked fine for a while, but the phone wasn't charging, despite being always in use, unless I manually plugged a charging cable and removed it each time I left the car. I had become accustomed to wireless charging and did not want to go back to manual plugging in, so I looked for a solution that would minimize the obtrusiveness of a charging mount AND allow me the convenience of wireless charging. Unfortunately, a CD mount charger blocked the IS screen, the issues with the vent mount were discussed above, and a gooseneck mount coming out of the lighter horizontally to the driver's side would not support the weight of the phone and wobbled like crazy. And each of these options still required a separate wire to be run to the mount from the lighter, adding clutter to the mount itself, which was far from aesthetic to begin with.

Although the XK150's IS reminds me of the $40 karaoke machine I bought from Walmart for my daughter when she was 10, I am still concerned about preserving the looks of the interior and not have loose wires laying about.

I found a wireless charging pad that would fit within the space of the ashtray - I just needed to build a support to keep it in contact with the back of the phone, and also to keep the phone from rubbing up against the vertical face of the console. The charger is small, extremely thin, and matches the interior fairly well, and gives me a touch of the burl that I desperately crave.

To create the support, I used some wire from a clothes hanger to form a structure, secured the base of it in the ashtray (that pops out with a small tug) with some oven-bake modeling clay, then removed it and baked it for 45 minutes. My first few tries of removing the unbaked clay from the ashtray without distorting its form were unsuccessful, until I used a generous amount of mold release. I know that I could have used oil, soapy water, etc. but since I was going to bake it, I didn't know what how these other lubricants would respond to baking. So I splurged and used the stuff intended for the job. The clay slid out of the ashtray and retained its shape perfectly.

After baking, I covered the remaining wire above the base with silicone (I used Sugru, but Plasti-dip would work as well) and slipped it back in the ashtray. I was able to adjust the wire support as needed to get a perfect fit, glued the silicone-covered wire to the back of the charging pad, and ended up with a pretty good looking charging phone mount with the charging wire mostly out of sight. Since the connections on the charging pad were fairly thin, I used the Sugru to form additional strain reliefs on its USB power cable - I could have done a better job but it was my first time using the stuff and I got a little sloppy...oh well.

Although the gear shift knob does partially block the view of the phone while in Park, when positioned in Drive, the view is unobstructed. Some people may want a mount that is higher so they can keep their head up, which this obviously is not. However, I do not find myself needing to look at the screen often, even when navigating, so this works for me.

BTW, I've got no connection to, or interest in, any of the products or companies referenced above. I didn't name the emulator app only because I am still trying it out, but they are easy to find by a search in the App store or on google. The charging pad also comes in a good number of wood alternatives and I was impressed with the quality of the wood - really beautiful stuff. The charger's electronics are sourced by the U.S. manufacturer from China, and its quality remains to be seen - but no issues so far (except for the thinness of the wire/connectors).

I apologize for the length of this post given the fairly simple solution - I think my wordiness must be due to effects of the COVID Stay at Home Order....
-Marlon
I went down this same road but built a 3D model to replace the entire ashtray.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/custom-chargers

The following users liked this post:
gmuirnz (04-12-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 02:23 PM

Any news on this? Did it ever turn up?

Old 09-09-2022, 11:57 AM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

im selling my mobridge in the marketplace if anyone is interested. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/market/262698

it is supposed to take over the MOST for audio if anyone is interested. i purchased it from julian.merritt@fiberdyne.com.au but never installed it.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for XK