XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Attention Grabber?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:20 AM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Attention Grabber?

One thing I've noticed over the past 3 weeks; the XK is an attention *****. Where ever I go, where ever I park, there is always someone staring at the car.

Even though some of the people can't tell the difference between a Jaguar and a Javelin, (one guy even said it looked EXACTLY like his sister's Kia. I told him that Kia is owned by Jaguar, hence the similarity) the appreciation for the car doesn't seem to end. The single reverse light is particularly attractive, apparently

And while my Corvette driving buddy keeps giving me grief about reliability (as his 2010 Grand Sport leaks oil all over my driveway), I recall Jeremy Clarkson's words in regards to Lexus where he said "Saying all I want from a car is reliability is like saying all I want from a girlfriend is punctuality"

I sure hope it's as reliable as the internet says it is because this car has been far more fun to own than the BMW it replaced

The following users liked this post:
Gregory Brook (06-15-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Oddly enough, I found my VDP to attract way more attention than my XK. A certain types points at the XK, but everyone noticed the VDP. It could be due to size of the VDP and contrast of dark blue and chrome.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Ya gatta ask yourself. Whose the biggest attention *****, me or the car? In my case I know the answer. sob, sob.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Ya gatta ask yourself. Whose the biggest attention *****, me or the car? In my case I know the answer. sob, sob.
Meh, this Is actually the first car I've ever bought that has ever really been attention worthy, so to speak. Nobody gives much thought to a BMW or Infiniti, really. I thought it might be fun to own something different and unusual for a change and so far, the XK has been a good choice. I've met quite a few new people who just walk over and strike up a conversation so in that aspect it's pretty cool. I honestly didn't expect it to draw as much attention as it has though.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

lol so true my last few caes have been a M5 in interlagos blue and a convertible M3 cab silver on Red both lowered and both with DPE rims yet when I got my xkr i cant go any where with out a nice car man , or what is it , or the good old thumbs up or appreciation nod from those who know... By far the Xkr gets the most attention and i have been in alot of nice cars. Sexy cars are just that , Sexy

Old 06-13-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chromey35
lol so true my last few caes have been a M5 in interlagos blue and a convertible M3 cab silver on Red both lowered and both with DPE rims yet when I got my xkr i cant go any where with out a nice car man , or what is it , or the good old thumbs up or appreciation nod from those who know... By far the Xkr gets the most attention and i have been in alot of nice cars. Sexy cars are just that , Sexy
Sounds about right. I think it also has to do with the fact that there just aren't that many around here. I've been here over six years and I think I've seen maybe three or four during that time. I just saw an older model mint condition XK8 on the way to the dog park this morning but you don't see many of those either.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Recently bought an 09 XKR and in the short time I've had it I am amazed at the number of people that have commented on the beauty of the car. I get it a lot at stop lights with the top down. We were in a small community near here two weeks ago and while I was at a stop sign I heard a kid say to his buddy, "what is that doing in Idyllwild?"

I make a point of taking time to let people, young and old, take a look in parking lots and answer their questions. I remember how it felt when I was young and really dug cars and wanted to ask the owners questions and they acted like dicks. I see their interest as a compliment.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I feel like Jags are the kind of car you get noticed in, but without looking like a douchebag flaunting his wealth.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes, I don't think my personal humility level would make anything much more over the top than the Jag a car I could comfortably drive. Ok, a top of the line Aston would work just fine, but beyond that... Make no mistake, I have a long list of fantasy cars, but the actuality of driving around in a bright yellow Lambo is a bit much.

I'm also surprised at how many of the people giving compliments don't know what type of car it is! "Excuse me, that is a beautiful car... What is it?". Almost 1/3 of comments go this direction, believe it or not. I guess the lack of the giant chrome leaper on the front hood makes things less clear. I've had people guess everything from Bentley (?) to Aston.

Good to know the car wins admiration without just leveraging a brand name. Even without knowing what brand, people admire the lines. A good sign, I think.

Skeeter

Old 06-16-2012, 02:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Too true,

I have the same problem with my 34 GTR.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My brother in law has a '62 RR and an '07 Bentley Arnage and I feel a little conspicuous in either of them. My girlfriend has an '08 Bentley GTC and I felt a little bit like "look at me" at first, but, I've gotten over it. It hauls butt and sounds great and with the windscreen it looks a little sportier. Hell of a car! I am however way more comfortable crusing around in my subtle gray XKR. How's that for a description of an XKR, subtle?!?!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by direng
Too true,

I have the same problem with my 34 GTR.
Compliments! A rare and desired car, something the average car enthusiast might not recognize.

Skeeter

Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Yes, I don't think my personal humility level would make anything much more over the top than the Jag a car I could comfortably drive. Ok, a top of the line Aston would work just fine, but beyond that... Make no mistake, I have a long list of fantasy cars, but the actuality of driving around in a bright yellow Lambo is a bit much.

I'm also surprised at how many of the people giving compliments don't know what type of car it is! "Excuse me, that is a beautiful car... What is it?". Almost 1/3 of comments go this direction, believe it or not. I guess the lack of the giant chrome leaper on the front hood makes things less clear. I've had people guess everything from Bentley (?) to Aston.

Good to know the car wins admiration without just leveraging a brand name. Even without knowing what brand, people admire the lines. A good sign, I think.

Skeeter
I've gotten that one a lot too. Most people (who aren't car folks) have no idea what it is. The first one who ever asked though it was a Mazda lol

Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

While I would never use the term "*****" to describe my car (or anything else, for that matter), the XK has attracted a lot of attention - some good, some bad. The VDP received many compliments for its elegance, and seemed to receive a lot of respect from other drivers. The XK sometimes gets the opposite, with other drivers purposely cutting me off on the highway, not allowing me to change lanes (with signals on), etc. Even with my 6'4" retired military BF behind the wheel, other drivers could be extremely aggressive and/or jackasses. I have to be quite careful of where I look and how I drive!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by WldCat
The VDP received many compliments for its elegance, and seemed to receive a lot of respect from other drivers. The XK sometimes gets the opposite, with other drivers purposely cutting me off on the highway, not allowing me to change lanes (with signals on), etc. Even with my 6'4" retired military BF behind the wheel, other drivers could be extremely aggressive and/or jackasses. I have to be quite careful of where I look and how I drive!
Closer to my experience between the VDP and XK. In XK, I am just another ***** in a fancy sports car. The VDP was the only car I had ever owned I was never pulled over by the police in. Not that I had a reason to be, but just stating facts...

Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

IMO, the owner is an attention *****. He's the one who bought such a beautiful car!