XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Back in a Jag

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016 | 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
... Search the eBay ads for a nice well maintained Jaguar sedan and I bet you will find lots of value.

Best to you, and glad to have you back with the brand.
I agree with Richzak, except for recommending eBay. That would be my last place to look for a "nice well maintained Jaguar..." There are too many shady sellers on eBay and for that kind of money I'd rather buy from a reputable Jaguar dealer and have recourse with a CPO vehicle. There are, of course, some Jaguar dealers who advertise on eBay.

To find "the cream of the crop" of used Jaguars, go to the JaguarUSA website and click on the Certified Pre-Owned link at the top right: Jaguar: Luxury Sedans, Sports Cars & SUVs | Jaguar USA************ That will take you to the Certified Pre-Owned Program page where you can then click the SEARCH INVENTORY link.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 08-31-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2016 | 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Personally I couldn't drive an XJ, just too much of a boat. Don't get me wrong, it is a FANTASTIC car for someone who wants one that size. This the same reason I couldn't drive a BMW 750, or Mercedes S550, or any number of full sized luxury sedans. This despite the obvious value proposition of buying a 2 to 3 year old unit at close to 50% depreciation.

Stop encouraging him to buy used, us bottom feeders grabbing up highly depreciated cars depend on the folks who make that initial new purchase. mosesbotbol, in 3 years I may be circling around your lease turn-in!

Old 08-31-2016 | 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I agree with Richzak, except for recommending eBay. That would be my last place to look for a "nice well maintained Jaguar..." There are too many shady sellers on eBay and for that kind of money I'd rather buy from a reputable Jaguar dealer and have recourse with a CPO vehicle. There are, of course, some Jaguar dealers who advertise on eBay.

To find "the cream of the crop" of used Jaguars, go to the JaguarUSA website and click on the Certified Pre-Owned link at the top right: Jaguar: Luxury Sedans, Sports Cars & SUVs | Jaguar USA************ That will take you to the Certified Pre-Owned Program page where you can then click the SEARCH INVENTORY link.

Stuart
Ebay is only one source and provides a good idea of availability and price information for researching. Autotrader.com is the same as many dealers list their vehicles on Autotrader.com. Many reputable people sell vehicles on eBay, and that is where I found my gem 2009 Jaguar XKR PE Convertible. There are many sources for research. Keep in mind that purchasing any brand of vehicle from a dealer, you will end up paying a full retail price point.

No matter where you buy, the internet, dealer or whatever, it is still up to the purchaser to complete their own due diligence during the buying process.

Stating that "there are too many shady sellers on eBay" is a generalization with most likely no evidence of any kind to back up that statement. Each seller on eBay has a rating and feedback is always available for the buyer to review. Be sure to ask many questions of any seller, dealer or otherwise.

Happy car hunting.

Old 09-01-2016 | 05:37 AM

It is very red Congrats )

Old 09-01-2016 | 07:29 AM
|
Veteran Member

XJ is too big; already owned one. I could've got into a '17 XJ Supersport for not much more, but I did not think it was much more car for the money. Same with the XF. XE is a fun sporty car which I want. Each line is so unique in the Jaguar portfolio; they don't cross over that much.

I bought my XK with 10k miles on it, so I am familiar with the depreciation curve on Jaguars, but very seldom have I seen a used car in the condition that I would want it at that price point. There are too many horror stories with Jaguar CPO; it is not the same warranty as new Jaguar.

I decided to lease the car. The numbers were very attractive. There is no way at the 3 year mark I would have any equity if I financed and leasing was $400 a month less than financing. Both were based on the same acquisition cost. I own my own business. This is my first car leased while owning it. Previous cars I have just deducted maintenance costs.

The way I see it, I am saving almost $800 a month over what the Lotus cost me for a new car that is pretty darn hot. So what if I have to give it back in three years. I would want to be in something else by then either way.

Old 09-01-2016 | 07:38 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Stop encouraging him to buy used, us bottom feeders grabbing up highly depreciated cars depend on the folks who make that initial new purchase. mosesbotbol, in 3 years I may be circling around your lease turn-in!
You'll want this car. I drive about 4-5K a year, garaged all the time and about 70+ hours a year of washing and detailing annually. Jaguar is saying the buy out is 39K which I find hard to believe. No way this is a 40K car after three years, but hit me up when it is getting close to return. There are no used XE's to choose from right now; the line is too new. If I waited another year, that could be 8-10K in additional servicing costs on the Lotus and I would not get any more on a trade in. Now was the time to make my move and the XE I thought was hottest car for what I want. I normally don't buy German cars and Maserati was a bit of let down...

All the used cars that I test drove were all lacking or could cost with something coming up. I was kind of close on a 2013 XKR coupe for like 55K, but it had just a few months of warranty and all the water pump stories I hear was not the cup of tea I want right now. I just got out of a car that needed a lot of looking after. I want a break from that for now. My XK was a bit needy as well. I keep the cars to very high level.

Old 09-01-2016 | 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
XJ is too big; already owned one. I could've got into a '17 XJ Supersport for not much more, but I did not think it was much more car for the money. Same with the XF. XE is a fun sporty car which I want. Each line is so unique in the Jaguar portfolio; they don't cross over that much.

I bought my XK with 10k miles on it, so I am familiar with the depreciation curve on Jaguars, but very seldom have I seen a used car in the condition that I would want it at that price point. There are too many horror stories with Jaguar CPO; it is not the same warranty as new Jaguar.

I decided to lease the car. The numbers were very attractive. There is no way at the 3 year mark I would have any equity if I financed and leasing was $400 a month less than financing. Both were based on the same acquisition cost. I own my own business. This is my first car leased while owning it. Previous cars I have just deducted maintenance costs.

The way I see it, I am saving almost $800 a month over what the Lotus cost me for a new car that is pretty darn hot. So what if I have to give it back in three years. I would want to be in something else by then either way.
Glad to see your happy with the deal you made. All that matters is that you're happy with the XE. It is a stunning vehicle for sure and I too have been attracted to it.

Since you own your own business you should be able to take advantage of some write-offs on the lease, if the lease contract is under the business.

Happy driving, you have a beautiful car.

Old 09-01-2016 | 08:46 AM

I never lease a car - i pay cash.... - i deduce the cars costs and the purchase to 50% of my income tax...... freedom to sell the car whenever i want....

Old 09-01-2016 | 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
You'll want this car... hit me up when it is getting close to return.
I was just making a joke, but who knows where I will be in my vehicle needs 3 years from now! Maybe it wasn't a joke after all.

Regardless enjoy that XE, sounds like you made an informed decision that is right for you.

Originally Posted by XXXAngelXXX
I never lease a car - i pay cash.... - i deduce the cars costs and the purchase to 50% of my income tax...... freedom to sell the car whenever i want....
I would pay cash also if it wasn't for the stupidly low interest rates, .9% is free money to me. I can then use my cash to make more cash.

Of course we are in two different echelons, you are in the stratosphere talking XKR-S and Aston's while I am in ghetto talking Ford Pinto and Yugo.

Old 09-01-2016 | 01:06 PM

i should talk to my wife alias my boss - she hates monthly rates

Old 09-09-2016 | 05:13 PM
Thumbs up Thanks! Good information!!

Originally Posted by richzak
I agree with Stuart S above in post#11. Not necessarily on the XJ, but on finding a well maintained Jaguar with low mileage. I also love the XE model and over the last several months in much of my research, I see some very nice used Jaguar sedans with low mileage, great color combinations and at dramatically lower prices than MSRP. These cars take a big hit in depreciation, and any new Jaguar owner will attest to that.

As for the lease. Over a three-year period, you're literally throwing money out the window strictly, for one thing, the right to drive a new Jaguar. After the lease ends, and the car is returned you have nothing, just the outlay of cash to drive a nice car. You have to figure what is the initial outlay of cash to just to get the lease (up front money) then compute the monthly payments. A vehicle lease always works out in the vehicle dealers favor, always.

As a past financial advisor for 31 years, unless you own a personal business, leasing a vehicle for strictly personal use is "not" a wise decision financially.

As with Stuart in post #1, my 2009 Jaguar XKR PE Vert was a prior lease vehicle that had an MSRP of $108,000 and I picked it up in mint condition with 13,500 miles for $46,000. Most of the depreciation was already sucked out of the car when I bought it.

My suggestion is to BUY the XE, but look for one that might be 1 year old or step up in the class to a higher grade Jaguar sedan, that might be 2 to 3 years old and save a ton of money. There are plenty of beautiful used Jaguar sedans available with low mileage still under warranty.

Be a savvy shopper, don't lease. As you already know, on a new vehicle, as soon as you drive it off the lot, the depreciation begins immediately. Vehicle interest on a car loan is no longer tax deductible so, any interest you pay becomes part of the cost to own the car. Be sure to look at the real cost to own a new car. Of most importance, fully understand the costs involved to lease a vehicle. Keep in mind after the lease terminates, you own nothing and the car simply goes away and you have nothing.

Search the eBay ads for a nice well maintained Jaguar sedan and I bet you will find lots of value.

Best to you, and glad to have you back with the brand.

Great information!! Thanks!!