XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Backup Camera Retrofit: Pre-2012 XK Models

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Rahtok
The MY12 Camaros are all being fitted with the LCD in the rearview mirror bit too -- from the factory. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do something like that. If so, maybe the right way is to get the new OEM camera and mount for the back so it looks nice and just run it to one of the mirrors mentioned above.
This really is so much more ideal since you cannot see traffic coming using the nav screen and this way you have perifrials working too by at least looking near the windows...

Old 12-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72
I'd like to be 2nd in the US and 1st in Ohio!
Ill take second in Canada and 1st in Ontario. Cheers to whiteXKR

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (12-19-2014)
Old 01-17-2015, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,011 Likes on 1,344 Posts

While WhiteXKR is working on what will undoubtedly be a great solution for those of us that want a back-up camera on our cars (I bought his remote drop top kit before I even received my car, just waiting for spring to install it), I checked out the navtool website, just to see what that product was. And while that solution would require an annoying sequence of touchscreen operations, I see that there is a temporary price drop for the navtool box.
They say the regular price is $500, but if you order before 8AM on January 21, the price is only $212.50:

"January 16-20 2015 Anniversary Sale Special Sale Price: $212.50
Order Before 8 A.M. January 21th 2015 To Get Once A Year Huge Discount and Save: 58 %"

They are currently out of stock, and expect to ship in 8 weeks (I think I read that others experienced that same situation before, and I don't know if they ever received their product).

Just thought I'd pass this along, incase someone was interested in it for this or another project.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
While WhiteXKR is working on what will undoubtedly be a great solution for those of us that want a back-up camera on our cars (I bought his remote drop top kit before I even received my car, just waiting for spring to install it), I checked out the navtool website, just to see what that product was. And while that solution would require an annoying sequence of touchscreen operations, I see that there is a temporary price drop for the navtool box.
They say the regular price is $500, but if you order before 8AM on January 21, the price is only $212.50:

"January 16-20 2015 Anniversary Sale Special Sale Price: $212.50
Order Before 8 A.M. January 21th 2015 To Get Once A Year Huge Discount and Save: 58 %"

They are currently out of stock, and expect to ship in 8 weeks (I think I read that others experienced that same situation before, and I don't know if they ever received their product).

Just thought I'd pass this along, incase someone was interested in it for this or another project.
I personaly prefer to wait for Steves anwser to this project.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 03-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

I have investigated them, and their unit still requires manual switching to the navigation screen, despite their claim of full integration.

BTW...here is a quick progress report...I have a hardware prototype now and all of the subsystems on it are working as designed. I am in the process of writing the software for it and testing. I am workng toward a product release in the summer time frame.

I wish it could be faster, but I only have a few hours per week to work on the project. It is the only new JagWrangler product I will be working on until it is done though.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 03-10-2015 at 08:50 PM.
The following 12 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Cee Jay (03-11-2015), jahummer (03-11-2015), kj07xk (03-11-2015), Muddydog (03-11-2015), Ngarara (03-11-2015), RacerXK (03-11-2015), RedRider48 (03-10-2015), sherbercars (03-10-2015), Stuart S (03-11-2015), tberg (03-10-2015), tommyd (03-12-2015), wrair (03-11-2015) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I have investigated them, and their unit still requires manual switching to the navigation screen, despite their claim of full integration.

BTW...here is a quick progress report...I have a hardware prototype now and all of the subsystems on it are working as designed. I am in the process of writing the software for it and testing. I am workng toward a product release in the summer time frame.

I wish it could be faster, but I only have a few hours per week to work on the project. It is the only new JagWrangler product I will be working on until it is done though.
Press on brother, and happy motoring......Thanks!

The following 2 users liked this post by RedRider48:
sherbercars (03-10-2015), WhiteXKR (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks WhiteXKR! I love your remote top control. Weather is finally breaking in the midwest and I'll be using it today. Looking forward to a camera solution from you.

Awesome news!

WhiteXKR (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Good one Steve. Put me down for one of the first when you get it perfected. Bernie

Cee Jay (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,011 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Hi Steve,

Have your decided which type of camera and camera mount you prefer?
Earlier today I ordered 4 different cameras from Amazon, just to see what type of mounting I might like (i.e. is less obvious and more integrated).
The obvious choices (to me) were:
1. integrated into the top edge of the license plate frame
2. mounting hardware bar on the top edge of the license plate frame
3. mounting hardware bar behind the license plate frame, with just the camera in front of the top edge of the frame,
4. mounting under the trunk/boot trim panel (similar to the OEM mounting on the later cars) near the trunk/boot release button.

Weather's getting warmer, looking forward to installing your remote top control!

Old 03-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Hi Steve,

Have your decided which type of camera and camera mount you prefer?
Earlier today I ordered 4 different cameras from Amazon, just to see what type of mounting I might like (i.e. is less obvious and more integrated).
The obvious choices (to me) were:
1. integrated into the top edge of the license plate frame
2. mounting hardware bar on the top edge of the license plate frame
3. mounting hardware bar behind the license plate frame, with just the camera in front of the top edge of the frame,
4. mounting under the trunk/boot trim panel (similar to the OEM mounting on the later cars) near the trunk/boot release button.

Weather's getting warmer, looking forward to installing your remote top control!
I have not made a final decision yet, but I might offer a choice of OEM style and plate mounting. OEM style probably will require drilling a hole, which not every one would be keen on doing, so license mount will be an alternative.

I have some evaluation to do since there is a great deal of variation in camera quality.

The following 4 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
jahummer (03-11-2015), kj07xk (03-12-2015), sherbercars (03-11-2015), Stuart S (04-18-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Good one Steve. Put me down for one of the first when you get it perfected. Bernie
Too late, you're already well down on the list!

Old 03-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not made a final decision yet, but I might offer a choice of OEM style and plate mounting. OEM style probably will require drilling a hole, which not every one would be keen on doing, so license mount will be an alternative.

I have some evaluation to do since there is a great deal of variation in camera quality.
I have tried many cameras on other cars. I never liked the license plate solutions especially if they were adjustable up and down. Every time you close the trunk the camera will be re-positioned. Additionally, they look bad.

I replaced those plate cameras with mounted either with drilling or in one case a clear plastic that covered an existing plate light cover. Permanent mounting should be the preferred method. If you are going to the effort to setup a backup camera, why mount a poor solution plate cam.

JMO

The following 4 users liked this post by RacerXK:
DaveC (03-13-2015), kj07xk (03-12-2015), sherbercars (03-12-2015), Stuart S (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Steve
I always look forward to update on progress (and comments) for the backup camera.
As I think I only want to get into this type of installation once, please consider a package with the camera and remote top control.

We appreciate all you do.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys !! ... I am listening to you.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you have it built I would be happy to purchase your one touch top and the camera retro fit kit together.

I only want to do an install once

Good luck

Old 04-22-2015, 09:24 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

It just seems so odd to look at the centre console or rear view mirror when backing up. Trained to use both side mirrors and can't seem to be persuaded that any other way is better.

Cheers.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
It just seems so odd to look at the centre console or rear view mirror when backing up. Trained to use both side mirrors and can't seem to be persuaded that any other way is better.

Cheers.
I can't argue about the side mirrors as that's what I always used and still do on non back up camera cars and trucks. Since getting my Lexus with the 1st back up camera I find it easier especially when they have the "objects are further then" on the passenger mirror. With the adder of the back up lines on the screen it is easier to use on the XK. So I use a combo of both .

Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I can't argue about the side mirrors as that's what I always used and still do on non back up camera cars and trucks. Since getting my Lexus with the 1st back up camera I find it easier especially when they have the "objects are further then" on the passenger mirror. With the adder of the back up lines on the screen it is easier to use on the XK. So I use a combo of both .

I'd like to see the side mirrors replaced with cameras on all cars. This way the blind spot will be eliminated and both sides will be shown in the same spot, center screen area.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

I, too, learned the old fashioned way using the side mirrors. The drawback is that you can't tell exactly how far your rear bumper is from hitting what's behind you. That's why a backup camera is best.

Love the backup camera on my 2013 XJ. It has guide lines that curve as you turn the steering wheel, proximity sensors that beep faster the closer you get to an object, and a red rectangular area that pops up when you get close and increases in size the closer you get while the beeping increases and finally becomes a solid tone when you're too close and about to hit the wall behind you. Well thought out. I hope that Steve's system for the X150 will be similar.

Stuart

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Retrofit: Pre-2012 XK Models