XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bad Evening in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 747 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Bad Evening in Texas

Taking a hint from mhminnich I decided to explore the effect Texas has on Jaguars

Last evening I went out for drinks. Coming home I got a flat in one of those 20’ ers. I threw a can of fix a flat into it and saw no improvement…so I called AAA. I really didn’t want to crawl around and fit the space saver spare while on the side of the road way as it was almost dark outside and the highway was heavily traveled. The AAA rep told me it would be 1 hour and thirty minutes; I accepted that and sat down (gf checking her phone every 10 minutes and reporting the time). 1 hour and 45 minutes later I call AAA, they said that the wrecker service declined the job offer. I was not amused and after explaining my feelings (to which they responded they were working on it and ‘thanks for being with AAA for 15 years’) I decided to do the tire change.

Once done I was driving @ 35mph with that little rascal and noticed a thump, thump, thump…yep, the side had blown out and that tire was now flat.

I parked it in the entrance of a Thoroughbred Horse Ranch with some lighting. This was still in the middle of nowhere Texas @ 10PM. The weather forecast was for heavy storms with a chance of tornadoes and hail…I called a neighbor and went home…life goes on and there wasn’t much I could do other than worry about it or go to sleep. I chose the sleep!

This morning I called a local wrecker, met him at the ranch and had the jag brought to my residence. The car survived without vandalism or other damage…the 20” tire was toast as was the space saver.

A new 20” will be here tomorrow and I’m not too sure what I’ll do about the spare and AAA.

Probably 100 people drove by while my car was on the side of the roadway, three of them stopped to render help, so there are still some great people around.

wj

The following 2 users liked this post by wymjym:
resident_fng (10-28-2022), sklimii (10-29-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

damm! I'm not leaving the house in the Jag until this **** settles! LOL

I noticed my donut spare is dead too. Side rotted and blew out while it was in the boot. I noticed it in the spring when I was detailing it for a show. I need to get another. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar experience with AAA in Ft Lauderdale. Waited for 2 hours and no show. I called my insurance company and used my towing endorsement and within 20 minutes help was on the scene, tire was changed and me on my way. I was told AAA understaffs and underpays contract tow companies and therefore no help is forthcoming. I canceled my AAA account upon renewal.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:07 PM
Received 696 Likes on 346 Posts

AAA is a crapshoot. I've had very good experiences where they arrived quickly, and I've also had the phantom cancelation where I wasn't notified and had to rebook a tow with a several hours wait.
Feeling your pain!

Old 10-29-2022, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by mhminnich
AAA is a crapshoot. I've had very good experiences where they arrived quickly, and I've also had the phantom cancelation where I wasn't notified and had to rebook a tow with a several hours wait.
Feeling your pain!
. Feeling your pain as well. Your story can be a reminder how very few of us ever check the spare for air pressure. I recently removed and filled my spares on my Jag and full size tire on my Lexus. The Lexus had 10lbs and the Jag had 20lbs. All good now. Personally I can no longer change my own tire but it’s discouraging to hear roadside assistance is no guarantee either. I guess it’s the luck of the draw.

Old 10-29-2022, 05:26 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,179 Likes on 823 Posts

FYI, Every time (thank goodness not too often) I just call the Jaguar Support number. Even if the car has past the warranty period.
They explain there will be a charge. I say ok.
The flat bed with a competent guy shows up. Ditto for the Land Rover.

The following 4 users liked this post by guy:
jahummer (10-29-2022), ralphwg (10-29-2022), Sean W (10-29-2022), V7Sport (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

My bad evening just got worse. The tire store called and said the rear wheel is cracked @ 1/8" into the barrel and 2" on the lip.
Do I dare get it repaired or start searching for a Senta replacement?
Looking for advice.
thanks
wj

Old 10-29-2022, 10:21 AM
Received 344 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
. Personally I can no longer change my own tire but it’s discouraging to hear roadside assistance is no guarantee either. I guess it’s the luck of the draw.
You need an attractive companion with a bewildered look standing next to the open boot. Perhaps a kind passer-by would then stop to help.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by wymjym
My bad evening just got worse. The tire store called and said the rear wheel is cracked @ 1/8" into the barrel and 2" on the lip.
Looking for advice.
thanks
wj
That’s a pretty serious crack for just getting a flat on the way home. Remember hitting anything?
Getting it repaired is probably easy, the hard part will be: do you trust it to not have a serious structural failure in the future?
I’ve had bent wheels repaired and they were fine for the long haul. Never faced with a crack, and feel I’d probably go the replacement route.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:55 AM
guy
Veteran Member

A proper weld should be stronger than the plate...

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by wymjym
Looking for advice.
thanks
wj
😂 Pardon my laughing, but I deal with cracks in my Senta's on a regular basis. I swear those things are made of silly putty (that cracks).

Cracks extending perpendicular into the barrel are easily repaired. Cracks extending along the bead edge are harder to repair (and keep repaired). I use ARS Wheel Repair in Carrollton, Tx.

I did have to replace one wheel after the bead cracks got too aggressive. I did an insurance claim on that one. $500 deductible which was considerably less than sourcing one and sending it out to be chromed.

Last edited by mhminnich; 10-29-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

My insurance comes with Free Roadside Assistance also, I don't know who the service is, but it's through USAA.
My wife's Lexus had a flat when she came out of the hospital after an appointment so she called for help. She was told about an hour. After 90 minutes she called me back so I drove the 30 minutes to her and changed into the spare, which was fine.
Wifey called USAA again and was told "About an hour" and this was three hours now since the first call. It was also IN TOWN.
So yeah, Roadside Assistance, no matter the servicing company, is nearly totally worthless.

Old 10-29-2022, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

The flat occurred at speed, the tire was totally flat with the rim riding on it.
Upon close inspection it looks as if the crack on the side has been there a while and I suppose this little extra stress (@ 90mph) opened it up further. The last pot hole I hit was in West Texas where there was road construction, not too deep but very sharp drop offs and I cringed as I must have hit 5 or 6 in quick succession.
I'll attempt to get it repaired locally, Austin, with fingers crossed.
wj

Old 10-29-2022, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 630 Likes on 465 Posts

I have one similar on my 06 str. Everytime i get tires every 3 years they see the crack and i tell them put some of the old time strong smelling bead seal on it and it always works

Old 10-29-2022, 06:24 PM

Deleted

Last edited by V7Sport; 10-29-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:30 PM

Are Senta wheels really that fragile? I would be concerned about the other wheels as well.

Old 10-29-2022, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 630 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by V7Sport
Are Senta wheels really that fragile? I would be concerned about the other wheels as well.
luckily. Dirty but no cracks

Old 10-29-2022, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by V7Sport
They have been a regular source of annoyance to me. I have a cracked rear as I type this.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:37 AM
guy
Veteran Member

And yet mine have never been cracked/repaired.
Of course, I do my best to avoid potholes and slow down for bumps. And I never have a “discount” tire shop touch the wheels. Nor do I run discount tires.

The tire pressures are about 5% less than spec.
(a personal preference that the car hug the road as opposed to bounce off it)
So, I would have thought they would be more susceptible to damage.
Strange.

Last edited by guy; 10-30-2022 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

I once hit a really bad hole at a decent speed, I was very surprised I didn't bust a bead on that one. Weirdly, there was only a slight dent on both inside and outside edges and it was repaired at my house for about $75. That was on a Nevis though, so I guess they are a bit more robust. The tire was totally fine.

Quick Reply: Bad Evening in Texas