XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery?

I have a 2007 XK convertible. It would not start, completely dead. Put a charger on the battery and it would not take a charge. The top is down so I could not access the battery from the trunk. So, I put jumper cables on and everything lit up as expected. But when I push the start button, I hear a loud click from the engine compartment and no start.

Not sure where to go from here. I can probably manually raise the top to access the battery but now I’m thinking there’s another problem.

Anyone have a suggestion or sound familiar?

Old 03-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Had a similar situation when I bought my '07 in December. I raised the top manually (however could not latch) to charge the battery and install a ctek charger. Everything has worked well since except I seem to have a 'parasitic leak' as my 1 year old battery will drop 1.5 volts every 2 weeks

The following users liked this post:
cstanard (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Do a Manual Top Raise using the procedure in the User Manual so you can access the battery.

cstanard (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 05:38 PM
Default Battery

Thanks for the advise. I released the hydraulics and manually accessed the battery as was suggested. Sure enough, a new battery started the car. Still unsure why it wouldn’t jump start.

Thank you for your help.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Received 344 Likes on 209 Posts
Default As a point of reference...

Originally Posted by ChipnLong
Had a similar situation when I bought my '07 in December. I raised the top manually (however could not latch) to charge the battery and install a ctek charger. Everything has worked well since except I seem to have a 'parasitic leak' as my 1 year old battery will drop 1.5 volts every 2 weeks
In my “new to me” 2008 XKR coupe, I drove her Sunday and noted the battery voltage at the cigar lighter socket (using the voltage readout on my Uniden radar detector) was 12.7 volts with car in accessory mode. This afternoon (Tuesday), I checked the voltage again and it was down to 11.7 volts!!
I had only unlocked the car a couple of times in the interim to fetch some papers so was a bit amazed at the voltage drop. Battery is only 2 years old and cranks the car fine.
Needless to say, car went on the charger the previous owner had wired in. So far no low battery issues but, thanks to this forum, I’m on the lookout for a low battery charge.
Glad a new battery resolved the problem for the OP.
Mike

cstanard (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

My experience with Jags is once your (new...ish) battery goes completely flat it will never be the same. It may be sufficient and a C-tek may bring it back but it is not as good as it was. My Jags live on a maintainers but even then the batteries only seem to last 5-6 years. Just my experience. My XKR needs a new battery this year so I am going to try my first AGM.

cstanard (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 07:21 AM

The strange thing here is that this battery was only 3 years old. It could have been a weak battery to begin with I suppose. I too keep a maintainer on most of the time. Someone also told me to keep the car locked even when in the garage to lessen any drain by accessories which I do as well.

The thing that puzzles me is that it would not start with a jump. Everything went on, lights, audio, HVAC but when hitting the starter the was a loud snap underhood. I mean loud. A bit disconcerting, I was sure there was something else wrong.

But releasing the hydraulics and moving the top up to replace the battery solved the problem.

Thanks again for all of your help. Sure is one great forum for Jaguar owners.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,390 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Heat and cold kill batteries. You live in Florida and Michigan. Need I say more?

Buzzer (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:38 AM

Good point Stuart. This one stays in Florida so it’s just the heat!

Old 03-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by cstanard
The strange thing here is that this battery was only 3 years old. It could have been a weak battery to begin with I suppose. I too keep a maintainer on most of the time. Someone also told me to keep the car locked even when in the garage to lessen any drain by accessories which I do as well.

The thing that puzzles me is that it would not start with a jump. Everything went on, lights, audio, HVAC but when hitting the starter the was a loud snap underhood. I mean loud. A bit disconcerting, I was sure there was something else wrong.

But releasing the hydraulics and moving the top up to replace the battery solved the problem.

Thanks again for all of your help. Sure is one great forum for Jaguar owners.
Not sure how you jumped, but there are a lot of reasons why a jump start is ineffective. For instance, even jumping a smaller car I would need to hook up the cables, rev the engine on the donor car, and wait 10 to 15 minutes of time before the dead car would turn over. And while trying to start rev the donor engine or nada would happen.

If the dead battery is internally damaged and short circuited none of that would work!

I owned a BMW for 6 years and now the Jag for 3. The BMW was like the Jag and a real battery hog, it had an AGM and even with a maintainer (not religious about it though) went bad every 2 years. I am on the same pace with my Jag, I top if off with a maintainer periodically but just went through my second battery purchase. I bought it with a battery that was unknown age, had a new one installed at Jag dealer, lasted about 2 years. Couple months back it started giving me electronic fits so I replaced the battery with one from Sams Club, voila all is good.

I know I could probably prolong it's life by attaching the maintainer every day, I am resigned to them failing but am very aware of when a battery starts getting "tired" so that I don't end up with a total failure.

cstanard (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 11:52 AM

You may have nailed it. The battery would not accept a charge at all so there must have been an internal fault, as you mentioned, precluding the start. I jumped it in the trunk, drivers side where there’s a hot lead behind the cover. That’s where I have the maintainer hooked up as well.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the Jag battery? Or is there another alternative less $$?

Old 09-23-2020, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't find the specs on the Jag battery so its tough to look for an alternative. Do the Sams battery work ok?

Old 09-23-2020, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 281 Posts

Look for 019 batteries the Yasa battery is a good one