XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Use the least expensive, model 800 or whatever they call it now. It has the same technology as the most expensive and it is all you need. I have used these for many years and currently on my XK whenever it is in the garage - which is whenever I am not driving it. result: a fully charged (never overcharged) battery all the time, and the result of that is absolutely no concern about the battery. You can see it in the photo, behind the Jag. You can watch it in action this way - just touching the door or trunk button sends it into operation.

Attached Thumbnails Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-xk-british-racing-green-005.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jleuz1
Tip for shutting off trunk lights while charging battery:

Trip trunk latch by pushing up with side of screwdriver. After charging remember to push
trunk release before shutting trunk.
I do that all the time ,you can also do the same with the doors if you have them open for long periods .BL

Old 11-01-2013, 06:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by lacker3732
what model CTEK charger would i use
Welcome to the forum lacker3732,

I've used the CTEK XS7000 on a number of stored cars over the last two years and have found it very reliable. We've had reports on almost every CTEK model across the various tech forums without any adverse comments so you can probably safely choose any of their range.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

I use the CTEK 3300 from Amazon.com. I have one for my Jaguar and one for my Porsche.

Takes about 15 minutes to charge fully after driving. I plug them in continuously after each drive.

The CTEK 800 is about $20.00 less than the CTEK 3300. Compare the 2 before making your order.

Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt Smart Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt Smart Battery Charger: Automotive

The CTEK brand is very reliable.

Attached Thumbnails Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-jaguar-xkr-gear-shift-ctek-006.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

I spoke with a Jaguar mechanic yesterday and he mentioned that part of Jaguar ownership on the newer cars is a continual battery charge to keep it at it's maximum. This will maintain the battery health so that owner's can keep them for many years. There is no way around it unless driving every day on longer trips.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
I use the CTEK 3300 from Amazon.com. I have one for my Jaguar and one for my Porsche.

Takes about 15 minutes to charge fully after driving. I plug them in continuously after each drive.

The CTEK 800 is about $20.00 less than the CTEK 3300. Compare the 2 before making your order.

Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt Smart Battery Charger: Automotive

The CTEK brand is very reliable.
Is there any trick with the Coupe? Can the rear hatch be closed completely without pinching the wires? Can the permanent hookup to the battery be sent through the rear trunk panel that covers the battery area so that it will stay flush with the connector within convenient reach to be plugged in? I don't have my car yet, but am very **** and like things to look neat and not rigged. I am resigned to the fact that if I want to own a Jaguar XK and have a car that is somewhat exclusive, there are sacrafices that must be made. Thanks.

ps....I read somewhere that keeping the car locked will slow the battery drain. Is there any truth to that and even so, will there be any issues opening the car once the battery runs down too low when locked?

Last edited by bocatrip; 11-02-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Is there any trick with the Coupe? Can the rear hatch be closed completely without pinching the wires? Can the permanent hookup to the battery be sent through the rear trunk panel that covers the battery area so that it will stay flush with the connector within convenient reach to be plugged in? I don't have my car yet, but am very **** and like things to look neat and not rigged. I am resigned to the fact that if I want to owner a Jaguar XK and have a car that is somewhat exclusive, there are sacrafices that must be made. Thanks.

ps....I read somewhere that keeping the car locked will slow the battery drain. Is there any truth to that and even so, will there be any issues opening the car once the battery runs down too low when locked?
Locking the car fully stops the computer from running after about 10 minutes. The car computer then shuts down.

You can connect the CTEK 3300 directly to the battery as I have done, and just plug and unplug the CTEK. I have my CTEK plugged in all the time. When I go to drive the car. I disconnect the CTEK extended cord and put the excess cord from the battery in the trunk. It is very easy and takes 10 seconds to do. After pulling into the garage, the CTEK gets plugged in again, close the trunk. The wires never get pinched. I do the same on my Porsche 981.

I suggest buying the 8' CTEK Comfort extension.

CTEK Comfort Indicator Extension : Amazon.com : Automotive CTEK Comfort Indicator Extension : Amazon.com : Automotive

Every Jaguar or Porsche owner should have one of these chargers. You will never get frustrated with a low, dead or weak battery.

Last edited by richzak; 11-03-2013 at 11:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by richzak:
drphilgood (11-05-2022), gjjaguar (11-23-2013), jagjeep (01-12-2016)
Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

A couple of comments on recent postings: first, the coupé trunk door can indeed be closed completely with the CTEK leads out - please see the photo of my car several postings above; the rubber stripping prevents any damage to the leads.
Second: if you leave the XK UNlocked, the computers are running for 36 minutes (!); this is stated in the technicians' training manual. If you lock the XK, the computers run for 6 minutes - please note that you have no sign of this because even when you lock the car and the console screen and lights go out, there are still systems running. Clearly, locking the car is the best way of retaining battery power.
And with regard to the interior lights: a simple procedure: press the centre light button on the roof console: all the lights will go out. Pressing it again turns them on.
Third: the mechanic who recommend frequent battery changes as the only way of maintaining the XK obviously has no awareness of modern battery maintainers like the CTEK. If your car has one of these and it is plugged in when the car is not in use the battery will last for years and years. But there are cars that when parked have no access to electrical power - in that case, yes, regular battery changes will be a reality.
Fourth: when the battery DOES begin to fail, the symptoms will be varied and random: odd warning lights, modules not functioning properly (top, windows, seats), and in the death throes of the battery, the exterior flashers will start an odd dance - but by then you won´t even be able to unlock the doors. So if you cannot use a battery maintainer, replace the battery every 4 years for safety.

The following users liked this post:
drphilgood (11-05-2022)
Old 11-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
A couple of comments on recent postings: first, the coupé trunk door can indeed be closed completely with the CTEK leads out - please see the photo of my car several postings above; the rubber stripping prevents any damage to the leads.
Second: if you leave the XK UNlocked, the computers are running for 36 minutes (!); this is stated in the technicians' training manual. If you lock the XK, the computers run for 6 minutes - please note that you have no sign of this because even when you lock the car and the console screen and lights go out, there are still systems running. Clearly, locking the car is the best way of retaining battery power.
And with regard to the interior lights: a simple procedure: press the centre light button on the roof console: all the lights will go out. Pressing it again turns them on.
Third: the mechanic who recommend frequent battery changes as the only way of maintaining the XK obviously has no awareness of modern battery maintainers like the CTEK. If your car has one of these and it is plugged in when the car is not in use the battery will last for years and years. But there are cars that when parked have no access to electrical power - in that case, yes, regular battery changes will be a reality.
Fourth: when the battery DOES begin to fail, the symptoms will be varied and random: odd warning lights, modules not functioning properly (top, windows, seats), and in the death throes of the battery, the exterior flashers will start an odd dance - but by then you won´t even be able to unlock the doors. So if you cannot use a battery maintainer, replace the battery every 4 years for safety.
I think what you meant for #3 is frequent battery charge not change. That is what the mechanic suggested with the charger that this forum recommends (CTEK). I am also a firm believer in replacing the battery to play it safe every 3 years here in Florida, or 4 years in not such warm climates. Southern cars go through batteries fairly quickly with almost no warnings with everyday cars.

Last edited by bocatrip; 11-03-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
... the charger that this forum recommends (CTEK)....
CTEK is not the only brand of battery charger that is recommended by forum members. I currently (sorry, I couldn't help the pun) use a BatteryMINDER Plus every day and have been very pleased with it. There are other good brands, too. My previously Battery Tender Jr. overheated and melted the plastic case and boiled out the electrolyte; I recommend avoiding the Battery Tender brand. Check out their negative reviews on Amazon.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I use the ctek 3300 and am quite happy with it.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sharx8
I use the ctek 3300 and am quite happy with it.
Just a side note.....on the CTEK chargers.

Both Jaguar and Porsche have endorsed the CTEK charger to go as far as having their logo on the units. They are sold at higher prices when you buy the so called OEM Jaguar or Porsche CTEK.

I swear by this charger as you can tell from my numerous posts on the CTEK 3300. It's a great deal for about $67.00.....has mode for motorcycle, car, and freezing winter battery charging.

Attached Thumbnails Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-ctek-w-jaguar-logo-over-%24100.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-ctek-porsche-charger.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

I also recommend CTEK 3300. BL

Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Ctek 3300

Looked on Amazon but purchased CTEK 3300 today from Complete Battery Service

for $60.00 free shipping , zero tax

richzak (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Graham Royls
Looked on Amazon but purchased CTEK 3300 today from Complete Battery Service

for $60.00 free shipping , zero tax
You may also want to consider the CTEK Comfort Extension which adds another 8' to the connection. It is a quick connect/disconnect and cost is about $9.00 to $11.00

See if you have enough length when your CTEK 3300 arrives.

You got a very good price. The Complete Battery Source prices are low, thanks for the info and website.

http://www.completebatterysource.com...er-us3300.html

http://www.completebatterysource.com...ion-cable.html

Last edited by richzak; 11-04-2013 at 09:33 AM.
jagjeep (01-12-2016)
Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I've used BatteryTenders for years (not the Jr -- they're the entry level cheapo line). I've got 12 banks of them for charging everything from lawn tractors to generators to bikes, and my cars/trucks. The only problem I've ever had with one was about a month ago when I lightning strike wiped out one of the 4 bank units along with my appleTV and a couple of network switches. None of these items were surge protected tho so... <shrugs>

Old 11-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Rahtok
I've used BatteryTenders for years (not the Jr -- they're the entry level cheapo line). I've got 12 banks of them for charging everything from lawn tractors to generators to bikes, and my cars/trucks. The only problem I've ever had with one was about a month ago when I lightning strike wiped out one of the 4 bank units along with my appleTV and a couple of network switches. None of these items were surge protected tho so... <shrugs>
I also used a Battery Tender brand charger for many years without any problems on my 1960 Corvette, but it went with the car when I sold it in 2002. That charger was made in the USA and was rock-solid reliable. I don't know when Battery Tender moved their manufacturing to China, but the last one I bought was embossed "Made in China" and in less than a year it overheated, melted the case, and boiled the electrolyte out of the battery. I will never buy another Battery Tender brand product that is made in China. In my opinion, they are unsafe, a fire hazard, and fail to operate as advertised.

Rahtok - beware if your BT chargers are made in China.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

--Too bad the shipping and handling for just the comfort extension is almost as much as the cable..

Old 11-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Show me electronics NOT sourced in China. /sigh

Interesting note on stuff like this though -- the same company will use many different factories for the same product over the lifespan of an item. It's a pretty rare event to have the same company contract the same factory for long periods of time. It's very competitive over there.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Old thread, but I wonder. Why twice? I think the car is locked already after 1 press. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Twice, either way (key or either door button), so the sounder beeps.

Stuart

jimiz (02-19-2015)

Quick Reply: Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?