XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueXKR-S
Old thread, but I wonder. Why twice? I think the car is locked already after 1 press. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Mine (2009) doesn't beep on the first press, but I hear it lock and the side mirrors fold in. It beeps on the second press, which confirms that it is locked. I'm not sure if all electrical systems are shut down on the first press. Also not sure if other model years work the same way.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The beep on the second press is telling you "the Jaguar is already locked! stop pressing the button! SHEEESH!"
How can you tell that it locks on ONE press? look at the red LED on the top of the dash near the centre, immediately behind the windscreen. If it is flashing the car is locked and the electronic systems will shut down in approximately 6 minutes.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (11-13-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, I think you're rpobably right: one press of the 'lock' button should sdo it.

However, I've never been able to reconcile the Owners Manual with how the alarm seems to work !

From the Owners Manual, page 15:
>>
Locking, double-locking and arming the
alarm
One press: Locks all doors,
luggage compartment and sets the
alarm system. The direction
indicators will flash once (in certain markets an
audible warning will be emitted).
Two presses (within three seconds of first
press): Double-locks all doors and sets the
alarm system to provide the highest level of
security - use whenever possible.
The direction indicators will flash once for lock
and an additional long flash for double-lock. In
certain markets, two warning tones will
indicate that the doors are doubled-locked.
<<

My US-version XK convertible doesn't work that way - I see no difference between 'single-locking' and 'double-locking'. Anyone ??

gjjaguar (11-23-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Jeremy:
Jaguar uses different locking configurations in different markets - but the Jaguar publications, including the owners' manuals, do not always reflect these differences accurately. Exactly what "double locking" might mean in European markets is unclear because it is unspecified! But for the Canadian and US cars a single press of the button fully locks and arms the system. The Jaguar Technical Training manual for the "new" XK, a manual for the technicians in Canada and the US, states only this regarding locking (page 124, Electrical Systems): "To LOCK the vehicle and arm the security system: A single press of the LOCK button will lock both doors and the trunk and arm the security system. The direction indicators will flash once as confirmation and a single chirp will be emitted. If global close is programmed, pressing and holding the LOCK button will lock both doors and the trunk and close the vehicle windows."
That's it - that is all it says. "Global closing' must be programmed via the touch screen - but this is not what is meant by pressing the lock button a second time. When you do that the system chirps to tell you that you have ALREADY locked the car. As far as I can determine, for North American cars at least, there is no deeper layer to the locking programme. Other modern Jaguars also seem to have a different locking protocol for European-spec. cars.

The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
gjjaguar (11-23-2013), richzak (11-13-2013), Stuart S (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Jeremy:
Jaguar uses different locking configurations in different markets - but the Jaguar publications, including the owners' manuals, do not always reflect these differences accurately. Exactly what "double locking" might mean in European markets is unclear because it is unspecified! But for the Canadian and US cars a single press of the button fully locks and arms the system. The Jaguar Technical Training manual for the "new" XK, a manual for the technicians in Canada and the US, states only this regarding locking (page 124, Electrical Systems): "To LOCK the vehicle and arm the security system: A single press of the LOCK button will lock both doors and the trunk and arm the security system. The direction indicators will flash once as confirmation and a single chirp will be emitted. If global close is programmed, pressing and holding the LOCK button will lock both doors and the trunk and close the vehicle windows."
That's it - that is all it says. "Global closing' must be programmed via the touch screen - but this is not what is meant by pressing the lock button a second time. When you do that the system chirps to tell you that you have ALREADY locked the car. As far as I can determine, for North American cars at least, there is no deeper layer to the locking programme. Other modern Jaguars also seem to have a different locking protocol for European-spec. cars.
Thanks Gregory.....the above info was very helpful as I could never figure out if the 2009 Jaguar XKR was really locked. And yes, I pressed the darn remote key lock several times on many occasions. Now I can control the urge and finger on the remote. I need to save the wear and tear on my finger joints, as I am getting old.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
...by pressing the lock button a second time. When you do that the system chirps to tell you that you have ALREADY locked the car. ....
Great information!

Now all of us old and forgetful guys, like me and Richzak, know how to be certain we locked our cars!

If only our key fob would beep at us so we could find it!

Stuart

Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Great information!

Now all of us old and forgetful guys, like me and Richzak, know how to be certain we locked our cars!

If only our key fob would beep at us so we could find it!

Stuart
So true Stuart..........

Old 02-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

tnt10,

Sorry for the delay in posting the following pix:

Cover for battery remote access +terminal in left fender:

Note the black quick connect wire running from under the luggage panel floor to the remote access panel.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick connect + lead alligator clip attached to the remote access +terminal:

The quick connect - lead alligator clip is attached to the -remote terminal in the spare wheel well:

Quick connect leads connected together in the trunk:

Trunk lid closes over the wire with no problems:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Stuart
I did a similar thing with my solar charger. However, I was a little confused which "post" under the spare tire was the actual "negative" remote battery terminal post. Does it matter? Are they all essentially grounding points?

Also, it is not necessary to have the cable exposed and coming out of that plastic cover on the left side. That cable can be easily fed underneath the carpet!

Attached Thumbnails Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-7184739599_e727686c1c_z.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-7184735611_938b0d9d0f_z.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-7369973098_f8914cf3ee_z.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-7369971636_efb6f0a6ae_z.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-7185512925_a61e0c12fd_z.jpg  

Old 02-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cigarette Lighter on 1999 XK8

Correct, also for 2007-2009.

Stuart
Do you know if the cigarette lighter on 1999 year XK8s go dead when the ignition is turned off, or can they be used to plug in a solar battery charger?

Old 02-15-2015, 08:55 PM
Default Jaguar Charger

Jaguar markets what appears to be Cetek charger as does Porsche that has only a cigarette lighter connection. Do all XKs have cigarette lighter sockets that disconnect when the ignition is off? I have a 2014 XKR. Seems odd they'd sell something that won't work in their cars.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jersey City Jaguar
Do you know if the cigarette lighter on 1999 year XK8s go dead when the ignition is turned off, or can they be used to plug in a solar battery charger?
I don't know about the 1999, but you can easily find out by (1) confirming that the cigarette lighter works with the ignition on and then (2) turning the car off and pushing the lighter in and see if it works.

Note that you're in the current model 2007-up Forum and will get better results if you repost in the previous generation forum.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimiz
Jaguar markets what appears to be Cetek charger as does Porsche that has only a cigarette lighter connection. Do all XKs have cigarette lighter sockets that disconnect when the ignition is off? I have a 2014 XKR. Seems odd they'd sell something that won't work in their cars.
Are you certain that the Jaguar accessory charger comes only with the cigarette lighter plug? That doesn't correspond to the official Jaguar installation kit and instructions that are posted on this Forum.

The OEM Jaguar accessory charger is supplied by CTEK and sells for a premium price at your dealer because it has a Jaguar leaper logo. Save $$$ and buy yours on Amazon. There are several CTEK models; the 3300 appears identical to the OEM Jaguar charger and is popular on this Forum but I decided on the MUS 4.3 for my XJ. It has both alligator clip and ring terminal connectors, whichever you prefer to use. The cigarette lighter plug didn't come with mine; it's an accessory but it won't work as you know. I use a BatteryMINDer brand charger on my XKR, photos of which are in this thread.

I'm pleased with both CTEK and BatteryMINDer brands. But beware of the Battery Tender Jr brand by Deltran - it is a fire hazard and their warranty sucks. Read the reviews on Amazon.

oldcedar (09-21-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Default Jaguar Charger

I ordered one from Jaguar parts and the photo shows only a cigarette lighter plug hard wired to the charger (exactly the same as my Porsche logo unit). Unfortunately I ordered it before reading the posts in the forum. We'll find out when it arrives.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:05 PM

Clearly your pictures show a panel on the left side of the trunk [viewed from the rear]. However my 2009 Xk convertible has no panel on the left. It does however have one on the right. And there is no battery behind it. Has anyone an answer to this mystery?

#21 Report Post
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

tnt10,

Sorry for the delay in posting the following pix:

Cover for battery remote access +terminal in left fender:
Click the image to open in full size.
Note the black quick connect wire running from under the luggage panel floor to the remote access panel.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

oldcedar,

The remote battery positive (+) terminal is behind the black plastic access cover inside the trunk at the left fender. The battery is not there; just the remote + terminal. The battery is in another compartment in the center rear of the trunk.

Our cars are both 2009s and I'm surprised that there's any difference in our trunks. What is in the panel on the right side in your car? Do you have the Owners Handbook? What does it say about how to hook up jumper cables? Any body work to the left rear fender?

Stuart

P.S. Here's the link to the online 2009 Owner's Handbook: JJM 10 02 30 901 - XK - OWNER?S HANDBOOK | TOPIx Click the Vehicle Battery link on the left and see pages 188 and 189 for how to attach booster cables to the remote battery terminals. The Handbook shows the access panel on the left. The procedure for using a battery maintainer is the same as for using booster cables, which is detailed in the Handbook.

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-20-2015 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Added p.s.
oldcedar (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 07:33 AM
Angry Related problem

I went out to take pictures of my anomalies when a new development has arisen...

Apparently a dead battery also keeps one out of the trunk as well. Yesterday I could get into the trunk; today I cannot.:icon_hunter

Is there another way to open the trunk? I have tried the key bobs [both] and the internal panel button as well as the simple trunk button. No joy!

BTW, my manual shows a access panel on the left rear behind the left rear signal light, not on the fender. Something one would not see unless stooped over looking backward into the trunk recess.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Inside your remote fob is the emergency key. Behind the number plate on the trunk lid you will find the key hole.

If you have the manual it shows you how to do it.

oldcedar (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Default Reading the manual resolves the open Trunk problem...

So that little key has an important function [or 2] after all. Took some pictures with and without the flash and found the panel!

Now out to charge the battery. Thanks for the help. And the patience for a newbie.

Attached Thumbnails Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-trunk_img_0776.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-trunk_img_0783.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-trunk_img_0785.jpg  
Old 09-21-2015, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Your 3rd picture shows the remote positive terminal, with the rubber boot pulled back. That's an excellent spot for attaching the positive terminal for a battery tender. (I attached the negative to a post in the spare wheel well, adding my own nut and washer to secure it.)

Old 06-26-2020, 07:25 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey Stuart,

It's me again.This is for the 2010 XKR-Convertible. My C-TEK is on the way and will hopefully get it tonight. I looked at both the battery and the remote access points. The positive remote point on the left panel is easy to find, but there seem to be 3 threaded posts surrounding the spare tire. 2 on the left side (no washers or nuts) and one on the right side (washer on the bottom, no nuts)
1. Are all 3 of these threaded posts OK for a negative (Ground) connection?
2. If I want to use the permanent connection, what size nuts/washers do I need to get?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?