XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Battery flat, even with C-Tek -so what's the point???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
You believe me?? About what? I am so confused! Maybe one too many tonight? LOL

Yeah, I have read so many like that my head is spinning :-). Too bad they didn't put those info labels about whether the car came originally with a flooded or AGM on the battery frame/mount instead of just the battery. Heck you can read the battery label to know what kind it is. BUT, if the battery has been replaced a few times there is no way to know for sure what it came with, or is programmed for. Maybe they should update that bulletin and say if it has xx volts at idle it is programmed for this battery and if voltage at idle is xy volts it is for this type. IMHO that would be more helpful than a sticker on a battery that is a known replacement item.

Hopefully some of the savvy guys here may know a concrete way to find that out, now that would be much more helpful than Jaguar creating a read the battery label bulletin.

Regardless, I want to fit an AGM in there because I feel strongly it is the right thing to do given all the additional electronics and more advanced systems on the 2010-up.

I will update if I find a solution, maybe the photo I posted will jog someone's memory that has been down that road before..

Cheers,

Dave
Considering what a big deal they make of it and considering what a difference there is in the charging profiles, you would think they would make it more obvious for servicing other than the main dealer. Perhaps a visit to Topix may reveal the answer you seek.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Considering what a big deal they make of it and considering what a difference there is in the charging profiles, you would think they would make it more obvious for servicing other than the main dealer. Perhaps a visit to Topix may reveal the answer you seek.
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks, I will give that a try. I think I have read just about every "battery thread" here on JaguarForums in the last month, including other model types and from what I see everyone with the 5.0L that changed to an AGM have had Zero Issues, most report less module glitches, low battery warnings etc, and improved battery performance with an AGM, regardless of what battery it came with originally. I am leaning towards all this real world data vs all the CYA Bulletins from Jaguar that gives them an excuse on some warranty claims.

Have you heard of any issues when using an AGM on any model? I just can't seem to find any so far.

Have a Happy Friday and a wonderful weekend!!

Dave

Old 04-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

If there is any dealer history you could trace back and see what the OEM battery was . My bet was it was a flooded type which would have a different charging curve then the AGM . With all of the focus on gas mileage Jag decided to go with the charging system for 2010 on MY. My history on our 2012 shows a replacement battery in 2014 by the dealer. Reason was lack of use and no maintainer. I bought the car with 6600 miles on it at the end of 2014 so the car sat pretty much in the winter. My replacement was a Jaguar "branded" flooded type. Being an old time motor head I still don't like or can't get use to the charging system and I suspect Jaguar left out the volt gauge so people wouldn't see the various fluctuation of charging/discharging. I still don't like my new chevy truck where the voltage goes from no charge to 14.5 volts. But what is , is.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Have a Happy Friday and a wonderful weekend!!

Dave
I hope so, off to Sebring with the XKR this weekend for Chin.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:44 AM

I hope so, off to Sebring with the XKR this weekend for Chin.
Are you going to be running yours on the track there? Might be worth the drive to see it on the track. Haven't been to Sebring yet, but I did Sponsor a few 928 Racers there over the years. Some years as many as 3 at a time.....

Have FUN,

Dave

Old 04-27-2018, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Are you going to be running yours on the track there? Might be worth the drive to see it on the track. Haven't been to Sebring yet, but I did Sponsor a few 928 Racers there over the years. Some years as many as 3 at a time.....

Have FUN,

Dave
Yes I will! You should get back into it.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Okay I did confirm the date of manufacture was April 2018 not sure if it would be possible to get one fresher! And also the MUS 4.3 finally made it to step 7.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

How do you know that April 2018 is the date of manufacture, and not the month of installation for warranty purposes?

Old 04-27-2018, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
How do you know that April 2018 is the date of manufacture, and not the month of installation for warranty purposes?
It’s the standard white paper sticker among other manufacturers codes on the battery just like the one it replaced. The manufacturer would have no idea when the battery was going to be installed. I suppose it could have also been placed by Worldpac when they imported it but I highly doubtful as it would make no sense for that to be a reference point in my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (04-27-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 06:29 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

It’s the standard white paper sticker among other manufacturers codes on the battery just like the one it replaced. The manufacturer would have no idea when the battery was going to be installed. I suppose it could have also been placed by Worldpac when they imported it but I highly doubtful as it would make no sense for that to be a reference point in my opinion.
Worth double checking that. I have just changed the battery in my MY10 XK S/C and the date code was stamped into the battery post proving it was the original from 2010, still giving reasonable service after eight years but cranking amps were low according to my battery tester so didn't want any modules getting nervous during start. The documents were quite clear, change like for like only, so I fitted a flooded. I don't know any batteries which rely on paper labels but always a first time, I guess. If not on the post then it should probably be stamped into the case somewhere as a coded string.

Attached Thumbnails Battery flat, even with C-Tek -so what's the point???-img_0160.jpg   Battery flat, even with C-Tek -so what's the point???-img_0220.jpg   Battery flat, even with C-Tek -so what's the point???-img_0162.jpg   Battery flat, even with C-Tek -so what's the point???-img_0163.jpg  
Stuart S (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 06:49 AM

One I expected use of the C-Tek to actually prolong the life of the battery and two I didn’t expect such a short life with this one. It’s not about cost, batteries are relatively inexpensive, less than $50 per year, it’s more about expectation and waste.
A Ctek will certainly ensure you get maximum life from your battery but the intrinsic quality of manufacture will be the ultimate determining factor. I don't think we get Interstate batteries in the UK but we do have similar operations who put their brand on batteries made by various unknowns so you never really know who has actually made the one you buy. If you had 4/5 years life out of an unknown make that may be as good as you are going to get with that one and no Ctek on the planet will extend it to 8 years or more.

Last edited by jima; 04-28-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:00 AM

Here's the interesting part, I had him test the 4-year old Interstate battery and it passed! Over 1100 cranking amps, no bad cells, etc. He said it was perfect! Now when I found it dead I did put the CTEK into recondition mode. So now I am curious, did the recondition fix it or is their analyzer junk and the battery would have eventually died?
Over 1100 cranking amps from a 4-year old battery likely rated at about 800/850 originally would make me very suspicious of their analyser and anything they said if they didn't question the result. Possibly a false reading due to surface charge but they should know how to deal with that. What did the battery spec say for the cranking amps?

Last edited by jima; 04-28-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jima
Over 1100 cranking amps from a 4-year old battery likely rated at about 800/850 originally would make me very suspicious of their analyser and anything they said if they didn't question the result. Possibly a false reading due to surface charge but they should know how to deal with that. What did the battery spec say for the cranking amps?
The battery had just come off the CTEK recondition mode but was driven about 15 minutes, sat in the parking lot, disconnected from the car, sat on the cart for about 30 minutes before their analyzer was used. The original spec I believe was around 800 CA, T8-90. The tester did a print out of all of the parameters and they were all in spec. Did the CTEK "fix" the battery for another 4 years of life? Was their tester faulty? Is there a problem with either the electrics in the car or the CTEK? Guess I won't find out unless the new battery fails sometime in the not too distant future

The Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls in Germany just like almost every other one out there.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:54 AM

The battery had just come off the CTEK recondition mode but was driven about 15 minutes, sat in the parking lot, disconnected from the car, sat on the cart for about 30 minutes before their analyzer was used. The original spec I believe was around 800 CA, T8-90. The tester did a print out of all of the parameters and they were all in spec. Did the CTEK "fix" the battery for another 4 years of life? Was their tester faulty? Is there a problem with either the electrics in the car or the CTEK? Guess I won't find out unless the new battery fails sometime in the not too distant future

The Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls in Germany just like almost every other one out there.
He Jeremy,

Don't worry about it, FWIW, I believe you. :-)

BUT, I don't trust the results of the hand held battery testing at any Major Auto Parts Stores. 99.9% of the "testing" I have had done over the decades were later proved to be inaccurate.

Only if you can get them to take them in the back to the Load Testing Machines(if they really have one) do I believe the results, and only then if I watch them do it. Some just walk to the back and then return 2 minutes later saying it is fine. IMHO 2 minutes does not a real load test make. LOL

OH, I keep forgetting to ask, what brand battery and where did you get it?

Hope you are having a great time at Sebring, drive safe!!

Dave

jahummer (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Isn't there anyone who purchased their XK new and knows with certainty the battery was never changed? What battery type do these owners have? Flooded or AGM? My service manager told me straight out that no XK 2007-2015 ever came from the factory with an AGM battery. Can I believe this?

Last edited by bocatrip; 04-28-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Isn't there anyone who purchased their XK new and knows with certainty the battery was never changed? What battery type do these owners have? Flooded or AGM? My service manager told be straight out that no XK 2007-2015 ever came from the factory with an AGM battery. Can I believe this?
For the US Market I wouldn't doubt that at all. Across the pond might be a different story.

Dave

bocatrip (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

For the US Market I wouldn't doubt that at all. Across the pond might be a different story.

Dave
Very interesting. The same service manager told me that when batteries are replaced on 2010+ XKs, most times the charging system is never reset. He said it does not change anything. I remember reading a post or two from forum members replacing their 2010 XK batteries on their own with no consequences without resetting the charging system by Jaguar.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Most name brand batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls. I know the Everstart Maxx at Walmart is made by Johnson Controls. I did see a few that had the "Made in Germany" sticker on the top of the battery but am not sure if all the Everstart batteries are made in Germany. Many battery brands but only a few manufacturers.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Very interesting. The same service manager told me that when batteries are replaced on 2010+ XKs, most times the charging system is never reset. He said it does not change anything. I remember reading a post or two from forum members replacing their 2010 XK batteries on their own with no consequences without resetting the charging system by Jaguar.
I was told at the dealer that he had never seen an XK with anything other then a flooded battery. They also told me you should reset the charging rate on the 2010-2015 cars as the battery monitor and the ECM control the rate of charge depending on the health of the battery. Also on my last service I was provided the check list and it stated the battery was at 85% which was rated good for a 4 year old battery. So whether you need to reset the system or not I guess isn't a simple answer and it is most likely subjective .

bocatrip (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I was told at the dealer that he had never seen an XK with anything other then a flooded battery. They also told me you should reset the charging rate on the 2010-2015 cars as the battery monitor and the ECM control the rate of charge depending on the health of the battery. Also on my last service I was provided the check list and it stated the battery was at 85% which was rated good for a 4 year old battery. So whether you need to reset the system or not I guess isn't a simple answer and it is most likely subjective .
If your battery was at 85% I wonder what the voltage was on your battery on its' own and not connected to car. Probably below 12.66? My Jag is almost never driven and always on the CTEK maintainer. That being said... for me... the reset doesn't amount to much as any charging from the car's alternator is for short trips. Jagtoes.... You did reconfirm (from your dealer) what my service manager said about AGM batteries. No AGM batteries have been used as original equipment for XKs. Hopefullly between your dealer and mine we can come to finality with the AGM batteries as not the original equipment for our cars.... With regards to the reset, yes it might be subjective and if I drove regularly, I might have it addressed, but not for my needs of less than 700 miles a year. I find this feedback quite helpful. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Battery flat, even with C-Tek -so what's the point???