XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Battery issue

The car sat for a couple days and then almost didn't start. This has happened several times and once it was totally dead and I had to put it on a charger. Wednesday, I took it to Jaguar to have it checked out. I got it back yesterday after the dealership replaced the battery. They said everything else checked out OK. I looked back at the records from the previous owner and saw that the battery had been replaced in January of 2013. I know a lot of folks here recommend the CTEC chargers but what I want to know is what's making the battery life so short?

Last edited by GGG; 01-02-2023 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Have you had your battery on a battery maintainer prior to taking it to the Jaguar dealer yesterday?

Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

No. I had to put it on a quick charger once but other than that, the battery was untouched. The dealership did tell me the battery had a dead cell and thats why they replaced it. Again, a dead cell one year from new? Strange

Old 02-22-2014, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
No. I had to put it on a quick charger once but other than that, the battery was untouched. The dealership did tell me the battery had a dead cell and thats why they replaced it. Again, a dead cell one year from new? Strange
Regardless of what happened to your battery, I would suggest buying a battery maintainer. There have been numerous posts and threads ref this subject and specific brands.

It's one of the best investments you can make for about $72.00 for your Jaguar.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
Fyi, ...my 2 cents
Any AutoZone etc. can load test a battery that'll indicate a shorted cell. ...It's a free service. Having worked on my classics, I have my own load test device for checking the condition batteries. This being stated, all of this talk about the batteries in these newer Jags is perplexing to me. Are these newer batteries the gel type?
I just replaced the battery in my XJR last summer after 10 years? Really! I'd save the dealers shop labor rate for something really tricky.
Good Luck with your dilemma!

Old 02-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

There is a TSB for the 2010 XK related to the battery that might help. I had one done on mine previous to purchasing it. After talking to the original owner, he had the car sitting for very long periods and the car always started.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

chazaroo, sorry to hear about your problems. Unfortunately if you don't have a battery maintainer hooked up whenever you're not driving the car, this is not unexpected. What I don't understand is why (amongst X150 owners who do NOT use battery maintainers) some X150s seem to be affected more than others. Other people have reported never using a battery maintainer, driving the car sparingly, and never having any electrical problems. However, others like myself end up having annoying intermittent electrical gremlins.

Somebody really needs to make a sticky thread about the battery issues and battery maintainer solutions. It is certainly the most prevalent problem with these X150s by far!

If you are unable or unwilling to use a battery maintainer regularly, the next best solution is fitting your Jaguar with an AGM battery (instead of a standard lead acid battery). Duracell apparently sells one for about $120 or so. Otherwise, the Interstate version can run you $300.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:11 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

These are very interesting threads.
But I'll tell you, I have the 07 XKR. Battery replaced in 2011 and 35K miles on it.
And in Ottawa, I'm driving it, year round. I just don't see these issues that many complain about.
Now I do travel too often, and do lock the doors when I am away....

Cheers All!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

The thing is, many of the electrical gremlins are very subtle things.

The one that is MOST common for me is when using the left paddle shift, the throttle does not blip as it should. Restarting the car resolves this if the battery is charged up sufficiently at that point. Now who would notice that other than someone who was using the paddle shift mode all the time?

Old 02-22-2014, 08:29 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
The thing is, many of the electrical gremlins are very subtle things.

The one that is MOST common for me is when using the left paddle shift, the throttle does not blip as it should. Restarting the car resolves this if the battery is charged up sufficiently at that point. Now who would notice that other than someone who was using the paddle shift mode all the time?
LOL! Me.
And I am as fanatical as any one else on this forum ;-)
My 14 y.o. son wants me to squawk the tires when changing to any gear... I haven't been successful as yet.

My flight is boarding to London. GTG. Cheers!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

If you are unable or unwilling to use a battery maintainer regularly, the next best solution is fitting your Jaguar with an AGM battery (instead of a standard lead acid battery). Duracell apparently sells one for about $120 or so. Otherwise, the Interstate version can run you $300.
Interstate AGM was $169 from my local Firestone...

Just an FYI

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I was told by a Jag rep from NJ that contacted me ref my e mail inquire concerning low battery warning, that later model Jag verts have smaller batteries because of limited space. Mine is a 2011 vert new battery back in Oct 14. Car sat 2 days then warning. They also want me to go to the dealer and have it checked which I will do, so they can give me the xf loaner which is not bad but not an xk vert. Will let you know the results from the dealer. I will ask the service rep about the smaller battery also and also about putting in a gel cell. See what happens. Something has to be causing this. That's the solution I am looking for not a battery tender.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Agreed.... My XKRS was bought in 6/12, delivered 9/12... Has 1400 miles as of 2/14... It started right up without warning or troubles!!! I just got the 3300 anyway and it took 26 hrs to charge...still no warning signs prior to this!!

Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

How long does it take the battery to come up to charge when driving it? Is it possible that the charging system in many Jaguars are not functioning adequately?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
Interstate AGM was $169 from my local Firestone...

Just an FYI

I'll add another FYI....those AGMs are sensitive to over-charging and the gels are sensitive to voltage drops below 10V. I forget exactly where the drop-line is drawn, but, a quick call to your friendly "Battery Warehouse" might help understanding them.
Happy Trails.....

Old 02-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In Terms of troubleshooting the cause of the battery drain problem has anybody ever segmentialy tested for voltage leaks? There must be partial shorts or coils not fully isolated. What components remain charged when the ignition switch is off? It would be nice to solve this problem. Seems like the service department should have figured this out by now.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by carlprs
In Terms of troubleshooting the cause of the battery drain problem has anybody ever segmentialy tested for voltage leaks? There must be partial shorts or coils not fully isolated. What components remain charged when the ignition switch is off? It would be nice to solve this problem. Seems like the service department should have figured this out by now.
If there were voltage leaks then you would see smoke, LOL. Just had to say it.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

How long does it take the battery to come up to charge when driving it? Is it possible that the charging system in many Jaguars are not functioning adequately?

I've heard it takes approx 10 miles. But, there are a lot variables too.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery drain

On my 2007 VDP, the manual advises to lock the car when not in use. If the car is not locked there is a continuous battery drain from all of the sophisticated monitor circuits.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery drain

On my 2007 VDP, the manual advises to lock the car when not in use. If the car is not locked there is a continuous battery drain from all of the sophisticated monitor circuits.

Quick Reply: Battery issue