XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Are you some sort of bot? For every question that comes up about batteries, you respond with an advertisement for CTEK battery maintainers. Put it in your signature and save yourself some time!
When a consumer buys a product that he finds to fulfill its purpose and intent, and is a quality product, has great price points and can help others we all have a tendency to promote that product. We are called "testimonials". I STRONGLY feel that every Jaguar owner, XK/XKR/XJL/XF etc should have one of these items (CTEK) as a standard tool or device. It resolves so many problems.

Buy what you like to keep your battery charged, I could care less. I know the CTEK product works well, and is highly respected throughout the automotive industry. CTEK supplies battery chargers to some of the most prestigious Automotive and PowerSport manufacturers in the world. These name brand auto companies have decided to sell the CTEK product under there private label, such as BMW, Audi, Lamborghini, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, Porsche, Rolls Royce does. These premium automotive manufacturers offer the CTEK brand with their logo (I am sure) for a reason, QUALITY, which is synonymous with their own brand.

I completed extensive research before making my purchase, and you should too, take a few minutes to convince yourself and compare.
You will be glad you did.

Benefits - CTEK Battery Chargers

I use a Battery Tender product for my Honda Rancher ATV and works well, but it is not the same quality as the CTEK, and I find it has a tendency to get very hot. It takes longer to charge a large automotive battery. The CTEK 3300 offers features that the Battery Tender or other brands does not.

If you choose to go solar, great... it's your choice. I choose to continue to promote the brands that work well for me whether some like it or not. I have no reason to taught a product that would be inferior to another user.

What I find as curious, from all of the posts about the CTEK from myself, and others, amcdonal86 has decided to buy one for himself. Just goes to show the posts here on Jaguar Forums do make an impact.

As I said, buy what ever suits your fancy.

Attached Thumbnails Battery Issues-porsche-ctek.jpg   Battery Issues-ctek-rolls-royce.jpg   Battery Issues-ctek-maserati.jpg   Battery Issues-mercedes-ctek.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by richzak; 02-18-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with the above posted , Why do we have to have a charger at all. Why is the vehicle draining? That's the big question. Having a remedy is fine but what is the cause is the better solution to the whole matter. My 2011 xk vert. sat in the garage for 2 days locked. Went to start and it did but low battery came on. Then it did it the next day also.Since then no low battery sign. Did take a trip to Daytona so that helped but does not give one a very good security feeling if the vehicle will start again. I replaced the battery this past Oct. at the dealership so a new battery should not be the issue. I will contact a Jag rep and see what they can tell me.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by beh2010
I agree with the above posted , Why do we have to have a charger at all. Why is the vehicle draining? That's the big question. Having a remedy is fine but what is the cause is the better solution to the whole matter. My 2011 xk vert. sat in the garage for 2 days locked. Went to start and it did but low battery came on. Then it did it the next day also.Since then no low battery sign. Did take a trip to Daytona so that helped but does not give one a very good security feeling if the vehicle will start again. I replaced the battery this past Oct. at the dealership so a new battery should not be the issue. I will contact a Jag rep and see what they can tell me.
Lets us know what your Jag rep has to say.

Last edited by richzak; 02-18-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Some 2010 and later models need to have a software upgrade to fix an excessive power draw problem: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/at...at-battery-pdf . Check with your dealer whether this has been done if you have a matching VIN number.

Most people should find that car should be fine for at least 2-3 weeks without a charger if the battery is healthy.

If you do the math, a new battery has about 90 Amp-Hours (AH) capacity, but this capacity declines with battery age. With the factory specified 30 mA quiescent current draw (meaning when the car is off and locked and the SmartKey is not nearby), there are 5 AH drained each week. Factor in perhaps another 3 AH per week (guess) of self discharge. This would mean your battery loses 8 AH/90AH or 8.8% of its capacity per week.

If you then assume that the battery will be unable to properly support adequate voltage to the on board computers when it is loaded by the starter once it reaches 40% of it's capacity this gives about 6.5 weeks of start capability for a new battery and less for an older one. That is where I come up with 2-3 weeks typical assuming most folks do not have a new battery.

So especially if you do not drive your car daily, get the battery maintainer. Not only will your starting and electrical problems be gone, but it will help extend the life of your battery by keeping it in a fully charged state.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-18-2014 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I have a Lexus with every option going. The battery is three years old and has gone through two and a half very cold winters. I've left that car for up to five weeks, parked at the Buffalo Airport in the dead of winter and it turns over the engine without a hick up. I'd be worried about leaving the Jag for 5 days in the dead of summer for fear the less than one year old battery would be flat. The drain in the Jag is not normal.

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 2008 XKR Portfolio

Since I was a young man I have always heard about Jaguar electrical issues.
I guess its part of the proud tradition.

Attached Thumbnails Battery Issues-img_20130906_185230_743.jpg  
Old 02-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Went to start and it did but low battery came on. Then it did it the next day also.Since then no low battery sign.
Just as an FYI: I eventually figured out that the "Low Battery" warning will appear after a short time sitting with the car active but not running, regardless of the actual state of the battery. It's more of a high-drain warning than a low-battery warning.

Not saying that's the case for you, just something to be aware of for the future.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by LstFord
Since I was a young man I have always heard about Jaguar electrical issues.
I guess its part of the proud tradition.
Jaguar didn't have electrical problems they had wire harness issues. That problem was when the harness would break it would let all of the smoke out and then the electrical system wouldn't work.