XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Battery Life Expectancy using a Maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Looking at the wiring it appears that if you want to do a battery hot swap all you would need to do is attach the smart charger to the battery jumper post in the left side of the boot . The trick is to cover or tape the positive lead on the battery so you don't short it out during the change. Just a suggestion

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Looking at the wiring it appears that if you want to do a battery hot swap all you would need to do is attach the smart charger to the battery jumper post in the left side of the boot . The trick is to cover or tape the positive lead on the battery so you don't short it out during the change. Just a suggestion
Thanks Jagtoes. I was thinking the same thing originally. However I have read that it is not a good idea to connect a smart charger while the battery is disconnected due to voltage fluctuations which may harm the car's electronics.

sov211 (03-01-2021)
Old 07-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by themorningman
Thanks Jagtoes. I was thinking the same thing originally. However I have read that it is not a good idea to connect a smart charger while the battery is disconnected due to voltage fluctuations which may harm the car's electronics.
I'll have to look into that but the option is to just use a dumb charger in the 3-5 amp range. It will look like another battery.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

From Ctek site
"The MULTI US 7002 (Part No. 56-353) is the ideal battery charger for your caravan, car and boat. The battery charger is well suited for all-year use. Thanks to its SUPPLY mode the battery charger provides power even without a battery. The SUPPLY mode is indispensable when changing the battery as you avoid losing complicated program settings."

jagtoes (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
From Ctek site
"The MULTI US 7002 (Part No. 56-353) is the ideal battery charger for your caravan, car and boat. The battery charger is well suited for all-year use. Thanks to its SUPPLY mode the battery charger provides power even without a battery. The SUPPLY mode is indispensable when changing the battery as you avoid losing complicated program settings."
I wonder if its specific to that model or if this will be applicable to the Multi US 4.3 version or others as well. I personally own the 4.3.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

I wonder if its specific to that model or if this will be applicable to the Multi US 4.3 version or others as well. I personally own the 4.3.
The Multi US 4.3 does not have a Supply mode.

themorningman (07-13-2017)
Old 02-27-2021, 04:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maintainer install

I didn’t buy the CTEK. I bought the Schumacher 3 amp from Autozone, about $50. It’s been working well. It comes with three connectors: the eyelets, alligator clamps, and a cigarette lighter connection. I don’t foresee using the cigarette lighter connection, but the alligator clamps are useful for moving the charger around if other cars need it. I bought a couple of wing nuts from Ace Hardware to mount the eyelets on the Jaguar battery connectors. The size is 6M-1.0. There is a little rubber drain grommet at the bottom, back of the trunk. The cable won’t go through it with the grommet in, but it comes out easily and the cable will fit through. I routed the cable to the left under the trim, and then back out at a point where it won’t get pinched, then down through the hole at the bottom of the trunk. That way, I don’t have to close the trunk on the cable, not that it’s that big of a problem. I’ve gotten to where I can connect and disconnect the cable by feel, so I just have to kneel down to connect/disconnect.

Cord coming off battery

Cord going to bottom of trunk

Underneath trunk

Old 02-28-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Nicely done! I had to go to your Public Profile to learn that you have a 2007 XK. I did that because you attached your maintainer's negative (ground) pigtail directly to the negative battery terminal, which is OK for the 4.2L models but incorrect on the 5.0L models that have the Battery Monitoring Module.

The cigarette lighter connector that came with your maintainer won't work on the X150 because that socket is on a switched circuit. That means that socket is "hot" - has power - only when the ignition switch is "ON". When you shut off the engine and Convenience Mode automatically shuts down, the cigarette lighter circuit is OFF and has no power. You may be fooled into thinking that it works because when you open the door it activates Convenience Mode and that powers up the cigarette lighter circuit even with the engine not running. But when you shut the door, Convenience Mode will eventually shut off that circuit and whatever it plugged into that circuit won't work.

You should add a signature block that includes your X150 year and model and location to make it easier to reply to your questions.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:49 PM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for your responses to date. Apologies if I was not clear.

The issue here is not about cost or how long the battery life will be extended. Its more about how to prevent/avoid a situation of getting stranded or having to deal with gremlins popping up unexpectedly. I have been using the CTEK nightly as I only have a short daily commute. From what I now understand is that battery life is not an exact science as there are various factors that can impact its longevity even when using a maintainer. Perhaps for peace of mind and prevention of an unfortunate situation, replacing the battery before it needs replacing eg. (yr 4 or yr 5) may be the way to go even though the battery still accepts the CTEK charge.
That´s EXACTLY what I think and already do!

Hermann

The following 2 users liked this post by Arminius:
ralphwg (10-27-2023), silvertonesx24 (03-03-2021)