XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Battery Maintainer Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 03:51 PM
Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Battery Maintainer Installed

Finally got it set up, just in time for the rainy week we’re about to get.

is it safe to leave the trickler in the boot while it charges and maintains my battery? I would never leave the trickler outside, but my car is too far from the garage to leave it in the garage outside of the car.

Thoughts?

The following 2 users liked this post by indyx358:
CurtJ (02-18-2024), Vistacom1 (03-11-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 03:56 PM
Received 461 Likes on 301 Posts

It's fine to have the mains cable passing across bottom corner of the boot and then shut the boot on the cable and it should not grip too tightly.

Richard

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 08:32 PM
Default I what about the device?

Originally Posted by RichardS
It's fine to have the mains cable passing across bottom corner of the boot and then shut the boot on the cable and it should not grip too tightly.

Richard
Thanks Richard. I purchased a low profile extension cord so the boot can close with ease.

My question is about the trickling device itself. Is it ok to leave in the boot while covered and left plugged in for maintaining?

Old 02-18-2024, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Battery Terminology Matters! There are important differences between a trickle charger ​​​​​, battery maintainer, and battery charger. Use the right device for the job.​​​​

A trickle charger is dumb. It continually applies a small charge to the battery, and once the battery is fully charged it will keep charging it at the same, constant rate of charge. That can overcharge and damage a battery.

A battery maintainer is smart. It incorporates circuitry that monitors the battery's state of charge and automatically applies varying levels of charge to keep the battery fully charged without overcharging it. Many people call it a "Battery Tender", but that is the brand name of a battery maintainer that I don't recommend. Read my Amazon review of the Battery Tender Jr. that I bought for my XKR. It almost burned down my house.
Amazon Amazon

I recommend the CTEK brand of battery maintainers. They have several models with varying features, and I am very pleased with the CTEK MUS4.3 that I have been using on my XJ because its Recondition Mode worked to resurrect my Stop-Start auxiliary battery. I've also been using a CTEK MUS4.3 maintainer on my XKR for many years. There are many other quality maintainers on the market, but Jaguar sells the CTEK 3300 as a factory authorized accessory with its Leaper Logo. You can buy it for less on Amazon without the Jaguar logo.

If your battery is dead, you'll need a Battery Charger with an output of at least 10 amperes. Battery maintainers and trickle chargers simply don't have enough output oomph to charge a dead battery.

jahummer (03-04-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by indyx358
Thanks Richard. I purchased a low profile extension cord so the boot can close with ease.

My question is about the trickling device itself. Is it ok to leave in the boot while covered and left plugged in for maintaining?
​​​​​​ There's a risk of a catastrophic explosion if you leave the charger in your trunk (boot). Even though it's a slight risk , I wouldn't take it. Car batteries produce hydrogen gas when charging. That's why the Jaguar X150 battery has a tube that directs that highly explosive gas, which is colorless and odorless, from the enclosed battery compartment to the outside, where it can safely dissipate. Why risk keeping the maintainer in the trunk, where it might cause a spark and ... You can leave it on top of a rear tire, where it is protected from inclement weather. Just make sure you use a proper outdoor-rated extension cord.

P.S. It appears that the OP has a Duralast DL-2D battery maintainer, not a trickle charger.

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-18-2024 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
jahummer (03-04-2024), Prettykitty (03-01-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
​​​​​​ There's a risk of a catastrophic explosion if you leave the charger in your trunk (boot). Even though it's a slight risk , I wouldn't take it. Car batteries produce hydrogen gas when charging. That's why the Jaguar X150 battery has a tube that directs that highly explosive gas, which is colorless and odorless, from the enclosed battery compartment to the outside, where it can safely dissipate. Why risk keeping the maintainer in the trunk, where it might cause a spark and ... You can leave it on top of a rear tire, where it is protected from inclement weather. Just make sure you use a proper outdoor-rated extension cord.

P.S. It appears that the OP has a Duralast DL-2D battery maintainer, not a trickle charger.
Thank you both for the feedback. The Duralast device is a battery maintainer sonI take it I bought the correct item for my needs. I will re-route it so that the device is placed inside the wheel well instead of the boot. The car is covered so the light rain won’t get to the device (fingers crossed).

I will disconnect for tonight in the meantime. Thanks again y’all. Cheers!

Indy

Old 02-19-2024, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by indyx358

I understand but I thought that it was obvious that if the mains cable is being routed safely into the boot, then it is safe to leave an intelligent, mutli-stage charger in there as well otherwise what would be the point of installing the main cable.

I use the remote +ve and -ve terminals which are behind the plastic removable vent which is used for access to the left-hand side rear light cluster. It's much easier and tidier than removing the boot panel.

If you were going to leave the charger outside the car, you also have the option of not routing any cables into the boot but using the bottom external connection of the remote +ve terminal under the car. It's a bit fiddly to get to until you get used to it but then the boot can remain entirely undisturbed.

Richard

Old 03-03-2024, 11:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

m about to buy a o7 xkr , the owner told me he had a battery drainage problem , rhat he put a regulatior on the battery . Would that take care of the problem ? I dont have a garage so i dont jave the means to keep a charger on it . Will i really need to keep car on charger ? I. Starting to get scared about buying it , so please advise

Vistacom1 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jaguarjoecool
m about to buy a o7 xkr , the owner told me he had a battery drainage problem , rhat he put a regulatior on the battery . Would that take care of the problem ? I dont have a garage so i dont jave the means to keep a charger on it . Will i really need to keep car on charger ? I. Starting to get scared about buying it , so please advise
What does he mean by "a regulator"? If the car has a battery drainage problem, it needs to be fixed.

Richard

Old 03-03-2024, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by RichardS
What does he mean by "a regulator"? If the car has a battery drainage problem, it needs to be fixed.

Richard
its seems like ot of 07 xkr s have battery drainage problems . Is it fixable ? What tends to be the problem?

Old 03-03-2024, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

The "problem" isn't unique to Jaguar. There are many cars that don't get driven daily - think exotics like Ferraris, Lambos, etc. If a car isn't driven far enough every day, the alternator can't sufficiently recharge the battery. Batteries lose their capacity over time, and hot or cold weather also take their toll. That's why many of us use a battery maintainer.

When the engine is off, the security system keeps running and draws power from the battery. Convenience Mode keeps certain modules running until they time out and automatically shut down. For example, if you're cleaning the interior and the door is open, there's a good chance that an idiot light on the dashboard will illuminate and tell you that the battery is low.

Modern cars have interconnected systems that require fully charged batteries to power all the modules and avoid electrical gremlins. I'm retired and don't drive every day, which is why I keep both of my Jaguars on CTEK MUS4.3 battery maintainers.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
jahummer (03-04-2024), ralphwg (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 08:38 PM

Oh ok thank you for the insight . I thought it was a xk thing .the owner of the xkr i want to buy did mention a drainage problem awhile back so im a lil worried about buying car . Is it anything i could fix though?

Old 03-04-2024, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguarjoecool
Oh ok thank you for the insight . I thought it was a xk thing .the owner of the xkr i want to buy did mention a drainage problem awhile back so im a lil worried about buying car . Is it anything i could fix though?
Don't know enough about your car for anyone here to be able to provide you with proper feedback. Think of it this way. You call a random doctor and without telling him anything about you, you say and ask only one thing: "Why do I have a pain in my back?" There's just too many variables....

Old 03-04-2024, 08:31 PM

Understood . Checking out car tommorrow ,wish me luck lol

Old 03-11-2024, 12:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Good Luck! My 2007 XK had to be driven every 2 days or gremlins started to appear. Taillight out warning was the first one and if I didn't drive it right away others would appear. But my 2014 XKR can sit for 5 or 6 days without any problems. I always double lock it to insure it shuts down fully and quickly. It can be kind of a problem, but the solution is fun... Take a nice long drive in your Jaguar XK. She just wants a little attention, lol.