XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Battery Tender - Daily Driver Alternative Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:25 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Trust me Meng, I got... my post is accurate as is my follow-up. I wish you the very best but won't be offering you any suggestions in the future

Old 04-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

I have written in-depth posts on this forum reference the use of a battery maintainer, particularly the CTEK brand.

I own 5 vehicles of which 3 are high dollar sports cars, 2015 Corvette C7, 2014 Porsche 981, 2009 Jaguar XKR, 2014 Ford F-150 and 2017 Kia Sportage EX. These are all late model cars except the Jaguar which is a 2009 model XKR Portfolio Edition.

First of all, a CTEK battery smart charger is not a Battery Tender.

A "Battery Tender" is simply a brand name for a product made by Deltran.

There is a difference in the technology and the way the Deltran product works vs. the CTEK product.

Most major automobile companies sell the CTEK branded chargers under their own label. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Lamborgini, Rolls Royce, Corvette, Aston-Martin, Audi, Maserati, Ferrari and so many others.

The newer sports cars including Jaguar are loaded with electronic components and sensors. I have read where my 2009 Jaguar XKR has 120 electronic sensors. These cars draw power. Even when shutting down, there are active alarm systems that draw power.

Once these vehicles are rolled into the garage they are immediately connected to a CTEK MUS 4.3 Smart Charger which is an 8 Step.. Smart Charger battery maintainer.

I highly suggest that you research the CTEK smart charger mentioned above. This CTEK MUS 4.3 serves many functions, and I have NEVER had any issues with electrical failure due to a weak battery.

The cost is insignificant in relation to the price of the vehicle especially a Jaguar. Cost on Amazon is under $68.00 US for the CTEK MUS 4.3 and I would also suggest the CTEK Comfort Extension for about $10.00.

I have written a detailed post here on this forum on how to make a direct connection to the battery. I agree with "Stuart S" another Jaguar Forum member it takes less than 30 seconds to make the connection to maintain and constantly clean the battery.

Research my posts. Many Jaguar Forum members have followed my advice and purchased the CTEK brand of smart charger. Research the CTEK website to learn more, much more, about the CTEK Brand.

You will be glad you did.

I would not be without one connected to any of my vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Yep most of these other guys on this thread dont have an AGM battery. The difference between the two is night and day. AGM almost has to have a maintainer. Thats why you see Jaguar offer one, as does virtually every car manufacturer that has switched to AGM.
Jaugar offered a rebranded CTEK 3300 with the Leaper logo and an (unnecessary) installation kit as a dealer-installed, factory authorized accessory for 4.2L X150 models. Amazon sold the CTEK 3300 for around half the cost of the Jaguar-branded unit. Jaguar's decision to offer it's own battery maintainer was driven by the profit motive; if any battery really needed to have a maintainer, Jaguar would have included one with the car to avoid legal liability.

Neither flooded (conventional wet cell) nor AGM batteries need to have a maintainer, provided those cars are driven regularly and long enough for the alternator to restore the level of charge. For those X150 owners who don't drive their cars on a daily basis, a battery maintainer makes good sense.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
The day I need to put a battery tender on a gasoline car is the day I will get rid of it and just buy a Tesla.
So this is not a one size fits all subject. Many reasons why somebody can get away with no tender while others are not as fortunate. My situation is the commute is only 15 minutes. Some have even shorter. Could be condition of original or replacement battery. I've had batteries tested good under load and they are junk in a Jag. Do they lock their doors. Nothing wrong with the car it just demands a battery at 101% period. So do I think it's ridiculous to plug my car in 3-5 times per week? Yepper. Would I refuse to do so and buy a Tesla? Not a chance, besides I don't believe pulling fuse 19 in a Tesla produces the same results.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Jaugar offered a rebranded CTEK 3300 with the Leaper logo and an (unnecessary) installation kit as a dealer-installed, factory authorized accessory for 4.2L X150 models. Amazon sold the CTEK 3300 for around half the cost of the Jaguar-branded unit. Jaguar's decision to offer it's own battery maintainer was driven by the profit motive; if any battery really needed to have a maintainer, Jaguar would have included one with the car to avoid legal liability.

Neither flooded (conventional wet cell) nor AGM batteries need to have a maintainer, provided those cars are driven regularly and long enough for the alternator to restore the level of charge. For those X150 owners who don't drive their cars on a daily basis, a battery maintainer makes good sense.
Funny you should mention JLR and legal liabilities- there is a class action against the battery. Yeah I bet Jag too wishes they had just included the ctek maintainer.

My point; AGM+occasionally driven car= new battery sooner than normal.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Stuart S - you're right about the "rebranding" of the Jag/Ctek and also about the unnecessary install kit, that is typical dealership tactics to increase profits nothing new there. Where I think you might be a little off is here:

#1 misconception is that "because a battery is new it is at it's highest level", that is not the case. Putting a new battery on a proper charger or maintainer will bring it to its highest level peaking all the cells. Your mention of "need" is perhaps inaccurate rather it may be a question as to whether it would have prevented this issue and help with ensuring the battery is at it's peak consistently. He "needed" a battery that was at a higher level so his electronics wouldn't have the issues. His alternator won't do that.
#2 - a car driven regularly will not either restore a battery to its highest level nor will an alternator "peak" a battery as will a maintainer rather the alternator will add charge back into the battery in an inconsistent manner. It is not the same as bringing it to it's peak. Not usually an issue if driven a decent amount of miles per drive but still not optimal and you don't know it's a problem until it becomes a problem then the $60 seems trivial.
#3 - as the OP stated he drove his car regularly BUT in this instance had some work done which likely caused his issues, those would have likely been remedied had he used a maintainer. Bringing this issue to the dealership would result in at least $120 minimal charge for 1 hrs service time plus time lost driving and hassling it... all of which could be avoided. Who knows what they would have diagnosed and other possible charges incurred

Those who use them here seem quite happy, including myself (not a Ctek but Tender Plus), some seem resistant or downright opposed to even that thought basing it on words like "need" or that Jag "shouldn't", etc... the bottom line is it seems to prevent this issue from arising and routinely cures the ailments that the OP and others have seen as a result of a battery simply not being at 100% (doesn't need to be dead).

The following users liked this post:
richzak (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My data point(s).

I use a CTEK on both my XK and my Saab 9-3 2.8T.

The 2.8T is notorious for killing batteries in 2-3 yrs mainly through the ridiculous heat that can't escape that shoehorned engine bay.

The CTEK was a one time expense and fairly cheap off ebay. I figured why not try to see if I can extend the battery in the Saab. The darn oddball sized things cost more than a CTEK! So far I'm OK and am approaching the 3 year mark on my Saab's battery with no outward degradation. So it hasn't died 'early' but I won't know how much extra life I might get....

...and maybe I just got a 'good' battery (Someone told me my Bosch is not a good one...hmm.)

Maybe I don't need a CTEK on the Saab or the Jag, but again, its a low, one time investment which can be used on other vehicles and/or eventually sold off to someone else if it indeed isn't useful.

As an aside, saw one hooked up to a Maserati GT the other day.

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 04-22-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
If your car is draining the battery in such a short period of time, then I suggest that you get it fixed.
My previous BMW 650 was notorious for battery drain, it was even in the manual, someone with short drives like my Wife without getting higher RPM were called an "unfavorable driving profile". A buddy of mine has a Mercedes CL55 AMG and his battery died quickly because it isn't driven very much.

My BMW had a brand new AGM battery when I bought it and I never had a problem, but after 2.5 years it just died one day. It should have lasted 4 or 5 years. From then on out I started topping off the charge once a week, I already had the maintainer and an AGM battery is not cheap! My replacement battery lasted much longer.

All the sensors, computers, stereo, amp, sirius module, screen, blower, etc. tax the modern system. It doesn't mean you are going to get the same results, but for me a bit of preventive care is not a big issue.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

There are a shedload of variables in this equation: how new your battery was when you got the car, how good it is (especially if it's an aftermarket replacement), how clean/tight the battery cable clamps are, how low-resistance all the rest of the current paths are, how often you drive, how far/long you drive - it's no wonder we all end up with different experiences.

I don't have the option of a maintainer - my car isn't parked near a socket. I drive it once a week on average (all year), and usually only for about 7 miles / 25 mins each way. I occasionally have minor battery gremlins, but I know what they are and generally ignore them. When I'm going away, I put a solar charger on the luggage cover, and that seems to do the trick.

But that's me, my driving pattern & my car - what works for me won't be OK for other cars/owners. So I'm not getting my knickers in a twist if someone doesn't agree. But the following is the troubleshooting sequence I'll always recommend to someone who has issues that are or might be battery-related:

If you have a weird problem with erratic warning lights, things that don't work properly, etc., try charging the battery - if that fixes it, but the problem keeps returning, time to get the battery checked. If the battery is fine, then there's either something sucking too much out of it, or you're not putting enough into it - at that point, consider getting the electrics checked more thoroughly, or just buy a maintainer.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Default Win Powerball and Buy This CTEK!

With all the differences of opinion, this thread was getting a little too heavy, I thought it was time to lighten up a bit. So...

The Koenigsegg Regera is included at no extra cost. Pretty nice freebie!

Old 04-24-2016, 08:34 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wondering?, our 2007 is wrapped up all winter and hooked to a maintainer, but May thro' Nov it is treated and behaves like any other car, just sits there waiting to go out to play, no thought of needing to plug it in, it has a regular flooded battery.
The old 84 Suzuki 1150 was transformed last year with a new AGM battery, starts like new and the battery held 12.7 volts all winter and just started it fine, definitely worth the $$$$$.
I have read that BMW are dealing with a major, self inflicted. battery problem with their turbocharged V8s, where they changed the charging strategy, allowing the battery to discharge further before "allowing" the alternator to top it up; all to improve their reported mpg... reported they were quietly replacing batteries when doing regular services...
Then there is the problem with horrendous carbon build up on intake valve heads of motors using DI (direct injection), which I believe the 5.0litre have, any reports of that issue yet? The pictures of Audi RS4s turned me from them...
So often these "improvements" seem to bring along new problems..
Nice to be done with Winter at last
Trevor T

Old 04-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by qcktvr
Wondering?, our 2007 is wrapped up all winter and hooked to a maintainer, but May thro' Nov it is treated and behaves like any other car, just sits there waiting to go out to play, no thought of needing to plug it in, it has a regular flooded battery.
The old 84 Suzuki 1150 was transformed last year with a new AGM battery, starts like new and the battery held 12.7 volts all winter and just started it fine, definitely worth the $$$$$.
I have read that BMW are dealing with a major, self inflicted. battery problem with their turbocharged V8s, where they changed the charging strategy, allowing the battery to discharge further before "allowing" the alternator to top it up; all to improve their reported mpg... reported they were quietly replacing batteries when doing regular services...
Then there is the problem with horrendous carbon build up on intake valve heads of motors using DI (direct injection), which I believe the 5.0litre have, any reports of that issue yet? The pictures of Audi RS4s turned me from them...
So often these "improvements" seem to bring along new problems..
Nice to be done with Winter at last
Trevor T
Regarding BMW and the charging system starting with the 2010 XK they are also using a similar system. It is ECM controlled and also has a discharge and recovery function. By plugging in a cigarette lighter volt meter you can watch the system work as you are driving. It spans from 12.4V to 14.4V depending on how the car is being driven. Normal running with light throttle I see 13.7V and if I get on it a little it will drop to around 13V. Now if you are going down a long hill with your foot off of the throttle you will see 14.4V . By the way th battery is at 12.7V standing without the smart charger so it is pretty much at full charge. Time will tell if this is a good charging strategy. As for the direct injection I've seen a lot of issues with the Audi V6 engines and carbon build up. Don't know how it will work with Jag so time will tell.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I only use my battery tender if the car was going to sit for over 10 days. Never had a battery problem in the 3 year with my XK I would get weird electrical events. Like the christmas tree and car shuts down. That one happened twice, but started right up again. Other times were mostly the keyless entry not working.

I believe I was even using the original battery. CTEK is a no brainer investment and regardless of what car you have. One charger and just dongles for each car...